PDA

View Full Version : Gas vs Electric Ovens

reneeinnorthwes
08-17-2004, 09:32 AM
I've done a search and found some information on ovens but still have a question about Gas vs Electric Ovens. We are in the process of building a house and soon we need to select our appliances.

What is the main difference between gas vs electric ovens? Does it need to be electric in order to be convection? I think so but just wanted to confirm. We are going to be getting a double oven and I think I want one to be a convection oven.

It seems like several people are happy with their Maytag Gemini because I kept seeing positive things about that oven. In part, it is going to come down to cost but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I'd appreciate any help that you can provide!

Thanks,
Renee

PAMMELA
08-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I just bought a new gas stove/oven and was going to get convection, but decided not to (too much $$). But i'm sure it was gas.

funniegrrl
08-17-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't know about the convection angle. Other than that, though, the main difference is that a gas oven has one heating element and two compartments. You bake in the top compartment (over the element) and broil in the bottom compartment (under the element). An electric oven, on the other hand, has one compartment and two elements -- one at the bottom for baking and one at the top for broiling. This is why a lot of ovens have two controls -- one that indicates whether you are baking or broiling (and thus it knows which element to turn on) and another for the temperature. Naturally, a gas oven uses real fire, and also has a pilot light -- a tiny flame that burns constantly which ignites the element when you turn it on. It's my experience that gas ovens preheat more quickly, and broiling is much easier to control. I live in a rental so I don't have a choice, but if I did I would choose gas for both stove and oven without question.

gertdog
08-17-2004, 10:47 AM
We just purchased a new gas GE Profile range. You both bake and broil in the main oven compartment. The bottom compartment is a storage drawer (or, on some models, a warming drawer). There is a gas convection option with the GE Profile as well, so I don't think convection is limited to electric ovens.

Edited to add: I just looked at Sears.com and while I couldn't find a gas convection wall oven, I did find 39 gas freestanding ranges with convection ovens. So- not sure whether convection is available for wall ovens, but it seems like it would be if you can get that option for a range.

Valerie226
08-17-2004, 11:28 AM
We have a fairly new (1yr) electric wall oven. (gas not available) It bakes fine. No problem there. However if you like to broil it is completely, totally, and absolutely WORTHLESS. it uses closed door broiling. Hah! Total joke. if you open the door the element immediately cycles off. even with a window you cannot see what you're "broiling" because it's up high next to the element. It took me half an hour to broil some chicken pieces, and then they were barely brown. It's difficult to brown something delicate like a meringue because you can't see.
This does not address the convection issue but if you like to broil things I would avoid anything electric that uses 'closed door broiling'. If I had a choice I'd go with gas in a second.

Molli526
08-17-2004, 11:39 AM
I have a Maytag Gemini in gas and really love it. When I broil, it is in the smaller, top oven. I love having the smaller oven to cook something in. I feel like it heats up faster and doesn't use as much energy as the full, bottom oven. I love the gas range b/c when I turn off the burner, the food for the most part stops cooking. This may sound elementary, but this is the first time I have ever used gas for cooking/ baking and it is what I love most about it.

We just built our house too, and the way I looked at it, was I would rather spend a couple hundred dollars extra and be really happy then get the cheaper stuff and then want to upgrade in a few years and essentially pay double than had I just got what I wanted in the first place :)

blazedog
08-17-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm unclear as to whether you are talking about wall ovens or stove ovens.

Most people prefer electric for ovens -- hence the premium paid for dual fuel ranges -- gas for cooking and electric for the oven.

There are almost no gas wall ovens made since most people opt for electric ovens.

If you are going with the Gemini oven, it would either be all electric or all gas.

I recently researched ranges -- Lots of people liked the Gemini oven because of the second small oven.

Regarding convection ovens, there is a difference between true convection and oven with fans. If you like to bake or cook, investing in a convection oven is well worth the price differential.

Hoosier Hokie
08-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by funniegrrl
I don't know about the convection angle. Other than that, though, the main difference is that a gas oven has one heating element and two compartments. You bake in the top compartment (over the element) and broil in the bottom compartment (under the element).

Naturally, a gas oven uses real fire, and also has a pilot light -- a tiny flame that burns constantly which ignites the element when you turn it on. It's my experience that gas ovens preheat more quickly, and broiling is much easier to control.

One thing I'd like to add...I have a gas oven and it has two elements and one compartment. If the oven is on bake, the lower element turns on and if I broil (in the same part of my oven) the upper element comes on.

Also, my oven (and stove, for that matter) is gas with an electric starter, so there is no pilot light. When the oven is off, it's totally off.

As for my opinion, I've had both gas and electric and I prefer gas. But my mother who had a gas oven all her married life recently got an electric and would never go back. So I guess it's a personal preference kind of thing. (sorry to be of no help here;) :rolleyes: )

HH

tbb113
08-17-2004, 11:46 AM
The old thinking (and I don't know if its changed) is that an electric oven is preferred over a gas oven since it heats more evenly and consistently. A gas stovetop is preferred over an electric stovetop since you can control the heat better (turn the flame up/down as opposed to waiting for the element to cool down).

reneeinnorthwes
08-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Blazedog,

The double ovens will be wall ovens. I'm not sure if I will do convection or not. I like to bake and it would be nice to have but it will depend on price.

It is starting to sound like electric vs gas doesn't really matter when it comes to convection. I'm 100% sure that I want a gas range and am just trying to figure out if I will feel the same way about the ovens.

Renee

gertdog
08-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Renee, most people I know who have both a cooktop and wall ovens opt for the gas cooktop and electric ovens. If I had more space in my kitchen (and more money to spend!) when I was buying appliances earlier this summer, I probably would have done so as well, as my understanding is that you get greater precision and even heating with an electric oven.

All of the major companies do make gas wall ovens- GE, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore.

Enjoy the shopping- it can get way overwhelming but in the end you'll have a great new toy in your kitchen. :)

Luvs2Cook
08-18-2004, 10:11 AM
I have a gas oven and I hate it! I always had electric before we moved into our new house, and somehow I let my dh talk me into getting a gas stove/oven. Now we have to put an electric connection in because I will be getting an electric oven this fall. I think they bake and cook MUCH better than gas, and I don't think the temperature fluctuates near as much as gas...JMHO.

blazedog
08-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Renee - Since you are going with wall ovens, your decision is really a no brainer -- go for electric since it is widely believed (and written) that electric ovens provide the most ideal even heat.

Your only decision since you are going with double wall ovens is whether you want one to be a Speedcooker type of oven which is great -- That would be my ideal combo -- a big electric convection oven and a smaller Speedcooker, microwave (made by KA, Kenmore or GE). I would then go with a gas cooktop although there is a lot to be said for the smooth glass electrics - in the latest CR report, both electric and gas cooktops had pros and cons:)

reneeinnorthwes
08-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks so much for the help. We went last night and it looks like I'm going to get a 5 burner gas cook top and the double ovens will be electric. Only one of the ovens (at the top) is convection. Now I just need to wait for the final prices (with the builders discount) to make the final decisions.

I've been more of a viewer than a poster on this boards in the last few years but am starting to post more. The information shared on the BB it extremely helpful.

Thanks again!

Renee

Curleytop
08-18-2004, 05:11 PM
I love my gas cooktop and my ELECTRIC oven. Until 15 years ago I always had a gas oven, and I WOULD NEVER HAVE ONE AGAIN. The electric quickly goes to the temp. you set, the convection feature is great, I use it all the time! The only time I use the regular cycle is with COVERED items. All roasting and baking is done on convection. I have a JENNAIR, and I would recommend it!

Kristilyn1
08-19-2004, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blazedog
[B]

Your only decision since you are going with double wall ovens is whether you want one to be a Speedcooker type of oven which is great -- That would be my ideal combo -- a big electric convection oven and a smaller Speedcooker, microwave (made by KA, Kenmore or GE).

I have the Kenmore speedcook oven, since I wanted a wall oven but couldn't because it's an existing house. I LOVE it. It does microwave-type cooking, plus convection, plus you can bake in it. To me it's the best of all worlds. That might be an option for one of your wall ovens.

Kristi