PDA

View Full Version : Friday Coffee Klatch!

lhall
08-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Good Morning Klatchers & Lurkers!!!

This mornings coffee is freshly ground beans, but don't ask what roast. Dh picked. :D

The nice thing about not working is my weekends have been pretty free! Today will be reading with students in Ginger's class and grocery shopping in the morning. Shopping Friday morning is great, the stores are empty! :D

Tonight is Bunco, and this weekend is totally empty. I guess we could go to church on Sunday. Things got busy this summer and we haven't been since June. :o

What's up with everyone else?

Leigh

Robyn1007
08-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Good morning Leigh,

Sounds like you will have a nice relaxing weekend.

I am going to happy hour tonight with a former co-worker and then painting my room tomorrow. Its about time, I've lived here nearly a year! This has been an interesting week, busy at work but most of all the man I met in Colorado is keeping me on my toes and very happy. I may even fly out there for Labor Day weekend! :p

I hope all who follow have a great day and a fun weekend.

Robyn

eas11
08-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi Leigh and Robyn and everyone who follows :D
Sounds like a nice weekend for you both. Robyn, what color are you painting? I need to get moving on inside paiting as well. We had our exterior painted this summer so the fall will be the inside job. I feel very color impaired though :confused: A romantic weekend in CO?? Hmmmm.
Leigh, isn't it great to say "a totally empty weekend" every once in awhile? Just let things flow!

I am off after work today for my last summer vacation week. As usual, heading to The Berkshires. We are going to a concert tomorrow night at The Guthrie Center (Arlo's non-profit place...it's the famous church from the movie Alice's Restaurant!) one of our favorite local Boston folk singers, VANCE GILBERT (http://www.vancegilbert.com/) is performing.
Other than that, we are having some weekend company and may head over to the Shaker Village. We are thinking of a mid-week trip to Vermont for 1 night. Playing that by ear- we'll see how motivated we are to get off the deck and out of our comfy LaFuma chairs :D All the talk on the BB about Stowe has me wanting to go back for a visit! I have back-to-back meetings from 10-5 today so I'll be pumped to leave town tonight.
Have a good weekend, all!

lhall
08-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Robyn,
I'm glad things are going well with your new friend. :D

Time to go run errands. Hopefully we'll be home before lunch.

Leigh

JackieO
08-27-2004, 07:28 AM
Hi Leigh & Robin!

It's been EONS since I've Friday klatched -- something about that "new" job I took (a year ago this week!) :o has kept my BB activitiy to a minimum. Oh well....

We had a girls night out last night, and I'm hoping to take a half-day of vacation this afternoon and go biking with DH on a trail along Lake Michigan. It's finally a bright, sunny summer morning -- we've had a lot of milky-white sky this last week with a lot of humidity. Not my kind of weather.

Leigh, while I've lurked on the boards, I really haven't kept up with things. Sounds like you decided to take a break from the library....last time I checked in, you were weighing options. I hope you've had a leisurely summer with the girls and DH.

Robin, hope things work out well in Colorado! ;)

Happy klatching!

SueK
08-27-2004, 07:28 AM
Hi Leigh and Robyn!

Leigh - enjoy your weekend, and your grocery shopping! :)

Robyn - glad to hear things with the man are working out well!

It's a pretty morning here. I am tired, though. I was up with the baby from 2-4:30 cause she's been under the weather. Finally fell back asleep at 5, only to get up at 6:30, cause they are working on a water main on our street today and were shutting off our water at 7:30, so I had to get up and get showered.

DH left for Asia this past Monday and will be gone another 8 days. :( And school doesn't start for another 11 days! We got Sara's back to school shopping done, though, because all the PSU students are headed back into town this weekend and I wasn't about to hit the stores with 45,000 plus people shopping for groceries and dorm supplies.

Editing to add a "Hi" to Ellyn and Jackie who were co-posting with me. ;)

Well, hope everyone has a nice, enjoyable weekend!

Gracie
08-27-2004, 07:36 AM
Good morning all! We have a super busy weekend planned and the week ahead, too.

I am on vacation at the end of today (finally!!) and DD is having a mega pool party on Sunday - the first she's really been able to have more than a couple friends over all summer because of construction. DH will be catering and DJing. So we made the grocery list for that last night. I'm having my friends over for a housewarming Monday night so there's extra groceries to get for that. The pool needs some work before the party, too. All that is getting taken care of tonight after work. Then tomorrow my friend and I are going to Chinatown for some groceries, DD wants a new bathing suit for the party so we'll go out shopping a bit then it's food prep for Sunday. Tuesday night DD and I are going to the Red Sox game.

Here's the tentative menu for the housewarming:

Tracy's Prizewinning Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Appetizers
Baked Black Bean Dip
Bonnie's Buffalo Chicken Dip
Veggies and Chips for the dips
Summer Vegetable Bruschetta (Hay Day Market Cookbook)
Mini Peking Raviolis from Chinatown
Turkey Wraps with Chipotle Mayo (cut into pinwheels)
Pina Colada Cake
Heath Bar Chocolate Trifle
Peach Cobbler

Does that sound ok? Should I add another dessert? I was aiming for all finger food, but that fell apart when my friend said she'd make the trifle and the cobbler. Fine with me!

Robyn - sounds like things are really going well! Are you going to tell us anything about him?? ;)

Leigh - must be nice to have a free weekend. I still can't get used to Ginger being in school already.

Ellyn - have fun on your vacation next week!

Hi to everyone else!

Loren

cniles
08-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Good morning all!!

Sue - hugs!!!!!! I hope you get a nap in today and hope the baby is feeling better. SC is pretty crazy this time of year!!:rolleyes: We're taking the boys to the Akron game next week. The first PSU game for Sam. Should be interesting!!

Robyn - how exciting, a possible trip out to Colorado with a new guy.:)

Loren - the menu sounds great!!! Sounds like a fun and busy weekend!!

Jackie - Enjoy your bike ride this afternoon - we have your hot and humid weather!! yuck!

Leigh - I am now officially a BUNCO member!!!:D Woo hoo!!

Ellen - the concert sounds great! I used to go to a lot of folk concerts when I lived in the Philly area - in fact they're having their Folk Festival this weekend. Have a great time!

This is our last free weekend before school starts on Monday. We started expanding our deck last weekend so we'll continue this weekend. Luckily the heavy work is done!! My parents are coming this afternoon with plants from their garden that they divided. So we'll be doing some planting too!!

Hi to other coposters!!:)

gertdog
08-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Good morning all!

Leigh, it's amazing how shopping can be a totally different (and pleasant) experience when the store is uncrowded. I often get up earlier on a Saturday than I do during the week just so I can enjoy the grocery store! :D

Robyn, glad to hear that things are going well with the Colorado guy!

Ellyn, you should join my "decorating-impaired" thread from last week when I complained about my inability to choose colors or make decisions about decorating a tiny bathroom.

Jackie, good to see you! Hope your mini-vacation day works out. I'm with you on the "white sky" weather- show me some blue and some sunshine, please!

Sue- ah, life in a college town. I was up in Ithaca this week and made the mistake of stopping at Wegmans. You can always tell when the college girls are back because all of the fat-free yogurt is gone.

Loren, your menu looks great! I don't think you need another dessert unless you have a huge guest list. So does this mean that everything is DONE? Did I miss a thread announcing the end of all the headaches? Do tell!

Charisse, enjoy the yard work! Now that we have a yard everyone is offering us perennials. I admired a plant in a neighbor's yard the other day and she appeared at our door a few hours later with a hunk of it for me to plant in our yard! :)

Our weekend will involve some cleaning, and I plan to order window treatments for the bedroom, TV room, and downstairs bathroom- if DH doesn't faint when he sees the bottom line. The Smith+Noble catalog is dangerous! :D Oh, and we're going to a minor-league baseball game- our realtor sent us free tickets. I can't remember the last time I saw a baseball game, should be fun!

Robyn1007
08-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Ellyn, I am painting a soft sage color. Glidden calls it sea drops which is so non descriptive since its not even close to blue!

Sue, I am sorry that the baby isn't feeling well, I hope that changes soon.

Charisse, I think my roommate may expand our deck sometime soon, I hope so, it is pretty small right now.

Gracie, wow, it sounds like it will be a crazy week for you but what fun events! Enjoy!

Okay, since you asked I will tell you about him. One of the things I like most about him (after having dated someone who never had time for anything but work) is that he decided a few years ago that he was sick of the rat race, left his well-paying job and moved from Atlanta to Boulder. He decided to bartend and manage at a restaurant and be able to live life and love it. He races motorcross! He treats me like a princess (I deserve it though right? :p )! I get these sweet little messages either emailed to me or he sends me text messages. Yesterday I got to work to a message that said he hates that I live in another state and misses me. :o I met him through my cousin who works with him and is seeing his roommate. That is comforting to me because even though I totally trust him I like the idea of having someone I trust near him. Okay, I better end this before I spend my whole day daydreaming....

:D

Gracie
08-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Stephanie - I have not put out the "it's finally done" announcement yet because I am trying to find the time to update my Imagestation album with all the rest of the pictures. I want to post that link at the same time. Your weekend sounds fun. Decorating is such a nightmare to me because I can never make up my mind. For example, when choosing kitchen towels of all things, I brought home 6 different ones (all of which I loved) until I finally "let go" and made a decision and kept 2 styles. I am the queen of retail returns! :D :rolleyes:

Robyn - the man sounds great! I agree that it's nice to meet someone as a friend of a friend (or relative) so it doesn't feel so completely random. Keep us posted!

Charisse - I was surprised at how much having a deck changes your yard. There's so much more living space, even if it was perfectly fine grass before, the deck gives you so much more to do with the space.

Hi to everyone else - where is everyone?? Must be the nice weather - it's wonderful here.

Loren

KristinK
08-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Good morning everyone. I've had some busy mornings the past couple weeks that have kept me from Klatching, but here I am.

We have a busy weekend with lots of wedding and house stuff. Tomorrow afternoon we're scoping out the park where we plan on taking pictures between the ceremony and reception (weather permitting, of course). Afterwards, we have to shop for bedding for the now-bare twin beds that we finally brought up from the garage (it only took us 3.5 months to get tired of seeing that empty bedroom!) and also for supplies for our favors, placecards, and guest book. On Sunday, I have to go to the mall (I'm not leaving without something to wear on my feet for the wedding!), but DF said he'd rather stay home and sand the furniture that is supposed to join the bare beds.

I am so embarrassed by how little we've done to the house, especially hearing Stephanie and others working so quickly. I'm running out of time on my wedding excuse, so I have to be prepared to start working come November!

Loren, I'm so glad the house is finally finished! I can't wait to see your pictures. Have fun showing it off this weekend!

Robyn, you sound so happy! I'm glad things are going well with the new guy. You better go out there next weekend!

I also want to paint our bedroom sage green. I'm just having trouble finding a duvet cover I like to base it on though. Well, that and the fact that we haven't given ourselves time to start painting yet. :p

Stephanie, if you go into decorating withdrawal after you finish your house, you're welcome to come help me! :D

Hello to everyone else!

lhall
08-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Jackie,
My contract wasn't renewed, and my evil boss isn't worth the stress a lawsuit would put on my family. I've been working on the kitchen. I'll have new pictures soon. I have all the drawers and 14 cabinet doors finished and installed. I have 12 more doors to do. Then I guess it's time to deal with baseboards & trim. :D

Loren,
I'm so glad your kitchen is done. Your parties sound fun.

I was pleased to see noticable improvement in all the students I read with this morning. They are showing more confidence in their reading abilities.

Ellyn,
Well, we've had 3 totally free weekends in a row. Maybe we'll go to the bike trials tomorrow.

Robyn,
He sounds nice! :D

Charisse,
Enjoy the yard and bunco. Have you played yet? I hope the deck comes together quickly.

Stephanie,
Sunday morning during church is also a good time to shop. Especially down here, most people are at church.

Sue,
I hope it's not a bad week with DH gone so long. You're smart to do the shopping before the college crowds hit the stores.

Stephanie,
Can you order me some window treatments too. I still haven't found any fabric I like for the dining room, Mariels room, or the living room. :D We've been here 8 years. :rolleyes:

Leigh,
"you can get anything you want in Alice's resturant....."

gertdog
08-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by KristinK

Stephanie, if you go into decorating withdrawal after you finish your house, you're welcome to come help me! :D

Leigh and Kristin, you might want to come and look at my house before you let me "help" you with any decorating decisions. :p But Leigh, I do recommend Smith+Noble if you haven't seen their catalog- so many options!

Kristin, I have a feeling that your house needs a lot less work than mine- mine has a lot of lingering bad decorating karma from the previous owners. Not just a lack of decor, but bad decor.

I feel silly being so excited about window treatments, but it feels like having those will make the room feel finished. Right now we just have the icky lace-look sheer pleated shades that came with the house. No privacy and not to our taste at all.

Leigh, people here must not be big church-goers. Sunday mornings are crazy at the stores here.

lhall
08-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by gertdog
Leigh, people here must not be big church-goers. Sunday mornings are crazy at the stores here.

Yes, but I live in the Deep South, and there's a Baptist Church on almost every corner. :D Pretty much all the denominations/religions are represented, but not near as well ast Baptist.

I'll have to check out Smith&Noble. I haven't heard of them. Then again, I don't get many catalogs in the mail anymore.

Leigh

clairea
08-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Good morning everyone! I haven't klatched in forever, but now the kids are back in school:D so things are a little quieter on Friday mornings! This was my first week teaching (preschool) so today I am just trying to catch up on some things around the house, and make the cake for DS's birthday party tomorrow. DS has his first baseball practice Sunday afternoon, but that is about all we have planned. I want to try to get out and do some yardwork, but that will depend on whether I can convince the kids to join me as DH will probably be working all weekend.

Leigh, I'm glad you are enjoying staying home. It took me a long time to get used to it but now I really enjoy it. I posted this on someone else's thread about fabric the other day, but if you are looking for something for window treatments, have you been to Forsyth Fabric and Lewis&Sheron? I have always been able to find something I like at one of them -- the selection is huge and the prices aren't bad.

Sue, I hope the baby feels better and you get some rest today!

Kristin, don't feel bad. We have been in our house almost 9 years, and there are still things we are working on!

Loren, I know you are glad to have the kitchen done! Have fun with the parties.

Hi Robyn, Ellyn, Jackie, Charisse and Stephanie!

Claire

lhall
08-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Claire,
I have been to Forsyth Fabrics, but it's been a while. I went with my mom. :D I've been to a place off Fulton Industrial, but again it's been a while. Right now I need to finish the kitchen before I deal with curtains. Although, I did the dining room 5 years ago and still don't have curtains.

At least I fixed my sewing machine so I can make curtains when I find time/fabric.

Leigh

mobear
08-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Hello Klatchers,

I had Maxim Blend by Carolina Roasters (a coffee place in my new neighborhood). Met a fellow ex-Austiner! She works there, and was so nice.

Spending this weekend unpacking the box farm at our new house. Very needed nesting! The last of our stuff was moved in yesterday. Now it is time for our merge and purge as a couple. :D Let the games begin!

We should take a break and spend some time outside too.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Heather

cniles
08-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Robyn - your guy sounds wonderful!! I was getting dreamy eyed reading your description!!!;)

Kristin - where are you guys looking to get pictures taken? We had ours done at Eastern College (along with 11 other couples that day!:rolleyes: :p ) Sounds like a very busy time for you!!

Claire - enjoy your son's b'day - how old?

Stephanie - I haven't heard of Smith and Noble... Are they Jersey based? I just spent some money on pictures for our powder room. I painted the bathroom a terracotta color and then ragged a lighter color on top. With our hardwood floor a dark cherry I decided to go with a Tuscan theme. I just hung a Cedar grove Tuscan scene on the wall and it looks great!! It was a HUGE decision though!! Now onto the front/computer room!!! AND we have no window treatments!! Just the blinds which drive my husband crazy. We really need to do those!!

Loren - I can't wait till the deck is done b/c then I want to plan around the deck and into the garden - I envision flagstones, perenials, veggie garden, trellis's etc.....:D Your pool party with the kids on Sunday sounds fun - and I love the fact your hubbie is going to cater and DJ!!!:p

Leigh - I've played as a sub the last 2 months! I really want to host b/c then I can menu plan:D That's down the line though. Isn't it great to see the progress in the kids! Wait till spring and you think, WOW. Look at how far they have come!! My boys start on Monday and then I'll get into my volunteer schedule!!:)

gertdog
08-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Oooh, Charisse, if you need window treatments then you need Smith+Noble. They are online/mail-order, and they do custom shades, curtains, blinds, you name it. They also do free swatches of pretty much anything in the catalog.

I requested a catalog last week and it came with a first-time buyer discount that I am planning to use. www.smithandnoble.com :D

Okay, I'm going to shut up about window treatments now. :o

Charisse, your bathroom sounds really nice.

Heather- merge and purge! I recall that was a painful weekend for us- be sure to have a bottle of wine on hand to make it a bit easier on everyone involved. ;)

mobear
08-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Stephanie - fortunately we have been together so long that I think I have a fairly good idea of what he will purge and what he will not. For example, I did not nominate what appeared to be a beloved Winnie the Pooh from childhood. :D I DID nominate unused seat cushions, and various things his mother gave to him.

We both have packrat parents. His mother is especially "bad" at giving us things she doesn't have the heart to throw away, but thinks we might use. She has good intentions. My parents, on the other hand, tend to always buy and send me new things. We just have to work together to sort through all of our stuff, keep what we really need and keep the few items that will grow the political capital with our families.:)

tbb113
08-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Greetings:

Its going to be a HOT weekend here. Forecast is high 90's and even San Francisco proper is supposed to be in the 80's :eek: . My father and his girlfriend arrive in a few hours to spend the weekend. Wish I could say I'm glad...but I really don't care for my father :rolleyes: :o Michael has double practice tomorrow, so I'm sending my father, his girl friend and Alex into SF to spend the day by themselves. Sunday, Michael has a party in the afternoon...so I'm thinking sitting by the hotel pool sounds like a plan (given the weather forecast). I have no idea what to do with them on Monday since once again, Michael has practice at 3:30 so we need to be home by then. School starts Tuesday (1/2 day) and I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off. Will be a nice long weekend for me :)

Sue:
Happy that Sammy is feeling better and that no one else in the house catches it.

MrsReber
08-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Stephanie, what game are you going to? just curious. We were at a Blue Claws game earlier in the month. We go once a year. DH's company pays for everyone and it's a lot of fun.

You're right- stores around here are always crowded- except if you go to Home Depot at 9:00pm on a Saturday.

Well, just wanted to say hello and be nosy for a few minutes while I eat my lunch. No weekend plans for us, but that won't stop us from being busy every second!

gertdog
08-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Susan, we are seeing the Somerset Patriots vs. Long Island. I am not much of a baseball fan but I generally enjoy games when they are an in-person experience!

Tyra, hope your weekend goes well. Sitting by a pool sounds like a nice relaxing way to spend your mini-vacation.

Heather, I have a packrat MIL too! Those are the items DH readily admits we will never use, but doesn't want to hurt his mom's feelings by getting rid of them. I understand his concern, but our basement is only so big. And inexpensive furniture that she bought to use in the year after her divorce is not exactly a keepsake with lots of sentimental value, IMO.

Off to participate in a conference call now...

lhall
08-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Tyra,
Wow 80 in SF. I remember buying a sweater on August when we were there. It was freezing!!! It was actually warmer in Juneau Alaska than it was in SF a week earlier! :eek:'

I hope things go smoothly with your dad's visit.

BTW, How is your mom? Is she done with Chemo now?

Charisse,
Our bunco group has the hostess supply beverages and everyone else brings an appetizer.

Mobear,
DH's mom is bad about giving us things we don't need. Mostly it's hand-me-down clothes. They are moving, closing on their house was today and I'm dreading when she uncovers all the clothes my neice has out grown that she wouldn't let DH's SIL give away. It's all sizes that DD1 wears now, but we've got enough clothes for her for 2 kids. We don't need enough clothing for 2-3 more children!

Leigh

tbb113
08-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Leigh: My mom has two more chemo treatments and then she will have a month off before they start radiation. She should be all done with everything by Thanksgiving. So far everything looks good and she and her doctors have high hopes that this will be the end of it.

cniles
08-27-2004, 12:09 PM
that's great news Tyra! It'll probably be a huge relief come fall!!!

Hope you can find things to do for your dad and his girlfriend. Tough situation. Stay cool!!:)

SueK
08-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Leigh - your MIL sounds like mine. She just gave Sara a ton of my neice's clothes that she's outgrown. But they're still too big for Sara, so I don't know where the heck I'm going to put them! My good friend is expecting a baby in Nov and it's a girl. I told her to come over and take whatever baby clothes she wants, because otherwise I'll have to sell them. There is already so much stuff that Sammy has outgrown, plus a lot of Sara's baby stuff that was the wrong season for when Sam was born.

Well, I was just downstairs emptying the dehumidifier. Opened the back door to put it down the drain and a frog hopped in! I was chasing this frog all over our workout room trying to get it to go back outside, and it hid underneath my husband's weight bench so I couldn't get to it. Hopefully it will not find its way into the playroom and family room, because knowing Sara, she will bring it up into her bedroom as a pet and not tell me! :rolleyes:

SueK
08-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Tyra- I'm glad to hear things are going well so far with your mom's treatment. Hopefully the month off will give her some rest, too.

Have fun on your hot weekend! :)

tbb113
08-27-2004, 12:19 PM
I think the hardest part of the weekend will be juggling everybody around Michael's schedule. My step-father has offered to help drive him if I need it...but I really don't want to impose on him any more than I have in the last two weeks (one week of once a day driving to practice, this week 3 times a day ... one round trip, one drop off) while I've been at work. Plus he is taking care of my mom....

I'm just so glad that school is starting. For most of the summer, I've been driving 40 miles one-way to get to work as opposed to my usual 15 miles. Today is the last day :D Its been worth it not to have Alex complain about camp, but its still tiring and EXPENSIVE given the price of gas.

colleency
08-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Good morning all!

I'll be back to read as soon as I have a chance.

I might have to work this weekend. Other than that, it's all errands and a costume-design get-together.

tbb113
08-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Colleen:
How did the road rally go last weekend?

Kayaksoup
08-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Hello everyone.. I am just so happy to see the familiar BB. My hard drive crashed on the 16th and I have been missing my BB fix. Just wanted to poke my head in and say hi.
I have lots of installing to do. i lost everything:rolleyes: If it goes well, I'll be back later...
Linda

tbb113
08-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Linda:

Beth was looking for you so she can send you your canning package. If you haven't sent her a PM, please do so she knows you are okay.

Tyra

cniles
08-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Linda!! You've been missed!! Glad you're back!:)

Tyra - that is a heck of a lot of driving to do!!!! Glad it's almost over!

Sue - I was laughing so hard reading about how you were chasing the frog around! I have a somewhat similiar story but not happy for the frog:rolleyes: - I was emptying our dehumidifier outside our basement door entrance and found a dried up frog in the corner of the drain poor thing. - I thought I might be able to rehydrate him so I poured the water on him hoping..... he might go hopping..... :D sorry. No luck.

Colleen - hope you don't have to work too much!!!

Kayaksoup
08-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by tbb113
Linda:

Beth was looking for you so she can send you your canning package. If you haven't sent her a PM, please do so she knows you are okay.

Tyra
Thanks Tyra.
Beth was my first priority when I finally got back on line....

Then here:D

Thanks for the welcome back Charisse...

lhall
08-27-2004, 01:51 PM
I just got back from walking Ginger home from school. Boy is it hot & sticky, ICK!

Tyra,
That's great news about your Mom. I do hope things turn out well for her. I have a friend who's mom found a lump during a self exam. She was lucky enough to catch it in stage 1 and needed no chemo or radiation.

Linda,
OH NO! I'm glad you're back online. We had to replace the memory & hardrdrive on our laptop this summer. Not fun at all. At least we knew it was going bad and were able to backup everything.

Sue,
LOL! Reminds me of chasing chipmunks around the house, although our chipmunks didn't come in the house willingly....the came in as cat toys. :eek:

tbb113
08-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Reading about all of your wild animal adventures makes me glad that other than a very occasional rodent, the only real animal problem I have is ants (and so far so good this year) :)

Animals are supposed to stay outside! :D

KristinK
08-27-2004, 02:40 PM
I had to make a little road trip to pick up some material, but now I'm back.

Stephanie, you're right, our house really doesn't need much work. I guess we'd probably be more anxious to get started if we had to look at hideous colors every day. Our furniture is a completely different story, however.

Charisse, we'll be taking pictures at Bellevue State Park in Wilmington, Delaware, closer to our reception site. When my best friend and I took photography in high school, we took pictures there. I have one shot of a tree-lined unpaved road that I would love to re-create.

Heather, when we moved in together, DF gave all his inappropriate posters (hey, it was right after he finished college, after all) to his younger brother without me even having to ask. I did, however, have to convince him that the atom bomb poster, even in black and white, really did not make nice art work either.

tbb113
08-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Well, I'm back from picking my father and GF up at the airport. Grabbed a quick lunch and sent the to the Oakland Museum (http://www.museumca.org/) for a couple of hours. They need to be back to pick me up so we can all go and get Alex and go home for the weekend. Wish me luck....actually with GF here it should be nice. Plus since they stay at a hotel since I don't have room at my house I do get time alone.

gertdog
08-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Tyra, hope the weekend goes well. I know how it feels to be a somewhat reluctant host- that "alone time" at home makes all the difference!

Ewwww... all these creatures in the house! Right now I have a cricket trapped under a plastic cup next to my desk. He was invading my personal space, but I can't bear to squish bugs or even just pick them up in a tissue. So he's in his little prison waiting for DH to dispatch him later this evening. I tried sliding the cup further from the desk, but this caused all kinds of frantic hopping that freaked me out. So it's me and the cricket, hanging out. Ick.

Linda, glad to see you and sorry to hear about the computer mishap. I think I'd better end my day today by backing up some data files.

tbb113
08-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Stephanie: You know the Chinese used to consider a cricket in the house good luck and even had cricket boxes to keep them in. Maybe you should reconsider relocating it?;)

gertdog
08-27-2004, 04:19 PM
I think we have an abundance of other crickets around to give us luck. The day the washing machine was delivered, I opened the Bilco doors to the basement so the guy could bring it in that way. A shower of crickets fell into the basement when I opened the door, and immediately scurried off to dark corners. They've been showing themselves one by one. Luck is good, but I don't know that we need quite so much of it! :D

lhall
08-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Stephanie,
Don't kill it, that's bad luck like Tyra says. Just get your DH to take it outside.

BTW, whole creatures are far far better than parts of creatures. :D

Leigh

colleency
08-27-2004, 04:25 PM
It took me forever to read this thread, a tiny bite at a time!

Tyra, glad to hear good news about your mom. It sounds like your weekend will go smoothly. <fingers crossed>

The road rally took a little too long. I didn't get home until 3 in the morning. I think some people were frustrated at the difficulty of the questions, too. DH and I are kind of into local history, and we love to drive around and "get lost," so we didn't think it was too hard.

Stephanie, Ick! Bug shower...er..Shower of good luck!

Sue, I hope baby is feeling better.

Leigh, Teaching children to read or even helping them to learn to read sounds SO wonderful! I wish I could do that.

I guess I feel better about how long it's taking to do curtains in our house. We've only been there 2 1/2 years!

Better go. The boss is back from lunch.

gertdog
08-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by lhall
Stephanie,
Don't kill it, that's bad luck like Tyra says. Just get your DH to take it outside.

BTW, whole creatures are far far better than parts of creatures. :D

Leigh

I think DH does take crickets outside. Don't tell him I told you, but he's almost as squeamish as me. ;) Gertie must have known that crickets are good luck- when I first spotted this one, I called her over and told her to get it. She very alertly trotted over and looked all around for the "danger", then sniffed the cricket and abandoned me.

I would have a very difficult time with parts of creatures. Ig.

tbb113
08-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Colleen:
Depending on your job...many schools would love to have you come in and volunteer to help slow readers get the hang of it. You can also volunteer at night to help illiterate (or barely functional) adults learn to read. Here is one possible place (http://www.latimes.com/extras/readingby9/involved.html) to check out. Its based in LA.

colleency
08-27-2004, 04:54 PM
I work all day, so that's out.

I took a course in teaching literacy to adults, but I was unhappy with the result of the program. They told you that it would be an hour or two a week, which I could do based on my schedule and the library hours. When you finished the course, they told you they really needed you for 4 hours a week, which I couldn't do. I decided to forge ahead with it. The first person they assigned me to turned out to be mentally imbalanced in a way that I felt was dangerous to my person. I never went back. :(

colleency
08-27-2004, 04:55 PM
I may be jealous of the whole package: time to stay home and raise children and volunteer in the school.

tbb113
08-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by colleency
I may be jealous of the whole package: time to stay home and raise children and volunteer in the school.

I know I'm jealous of that :) Some companies will give you time off for volunteering...you might check and see if your company has that perk. Its to bad that the adult volunteering didn't work out for you...scary to get a person that frightens you.

colleency
08-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Unfortunately, we don't even get time off for jury duty. We have to use vacation or sick time. :(

Your pool time sounds great for the weekend!

tbb113
08-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Same here regarding jury duty. Its really too bad that companies don't want you to be civic minded.

I'm out of here soon....have a good weekend all.

Tyra

colleency
08-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Have fun with the family!