PDA

View Full Version : ISO unusual baking recipes for mixers

ljt2r
08-30-2004, 09:19 AM
I am looking for unusual recipes requiring or allowing the use of a Kitchen Aid mixer. I just got a refurbished Professional mixer, and they come with a guarantee but it expires at a certain point (6 months I think), so you need to use it a lot the first few months. Anyway, I can see already that I am going to get really sick of all of my cookie recipes--not to mention that my husband and I may turn into blimps! :D But it seems like a lot of the recipes I find require more of a food processor (i.e., cutting in the butter), whereas I am looking for recipes that can be beaten or at least mixed well. Any suggestions? Despite previous comment, recipes need not be light--I have accepted that, and my husband's co-workers may be getting a lot of baked goods to get them out of our house. :)

Thanks, Laura

Beth
08-30-2004, 09:56 AM
We tested ours out by making pasta (requires the attachments) and a couple of Italian bread recipes that require a lot of heavy beating. The bread threads are so long that I can't tell if I ever posted the Italian Batter Bread recipe from Bernard Clayton's book. It is very good. Another one that requires a mixer (or the strength of Hercules and a very strong wooden spoon) is Crocodile Bread -- that either in the same book or from The Italian Baker. It is named for the shape of the loaf and is a chewy, salty loaf with lots of holes -- very different. They will give your mixer a workout. I can't post recipes now, but I can try later if one of those interests you.

ljt2r
08-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Yes please (to posting them). Especially the crocodile bread--what a great name!

We are making sweet potato rolls and foccacia later this week, and biscotti today. I hope my husband's co-workers are hungry. :)

thanks, Laura

ljt2r
08-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Oh I should clarify, dont bother with the pasta--I dont have the attachments. We did make sausage this past weekend however.

ljt2r
08-30-2004, 06:23 PM
I am bumping this since I really am on the prowl for some interesting stuff to make--I can only handle so many Chocolate Chip Cookeis and basic bread!

--Laura

Beth
08-30-2004, 11:16 PM
I'll try to get those for you tomorrow -- it got to late on me tonight.

cangoss
08-31-2004, 06:46 AM
What about pizza dough? That should give it a good workout. You could make a bunch and freeze some.

Little Bit
08-31-2004, 08:02 AM
Here's a recipe for pizza dough that I really like, with my comments above. It gives a mixer a workout for sure.

Another real workout, even for a Kitchenaid, is divinity candy, but I don't have a recipe in my files. (You know, it's the egg whites and sugar beaten together, for a long time, stuff. Calorie-laden for sure.)

Just thought I'd add this recipe by Alton Brown to the mix. It's now my standard, because I like the flavor.

I probably use a good bit less salt than called for, since a) I never have kosher salt and b) I can never remember which kosher salt Alton uses. (and the different varieties measure differently, so it does matter.)

I like making the dough a day or two ahead of time, and letting it rest in a greased ziploc in the fridge til I need to cook it, makes for an easy pizza night. If I need to hold the dough longer than 5 days, I take the dough out of the fridge, sprinkle it with flour and work that into the dough. Put it back in the ziploc, and use when ready. (I've never tried to hold it more than about two weeks, the temptation is too much to resist.)

I don't have a pizza stone, so when I bake my pizzas, I put a baking sheet in the oven to preheat. I form them directly on a second baking sheet and when I bake them, just put the pizza filled baking sheet right on top of the (hot) one in the oven.

If I want to bake pizzas for a crowd, I skip the preheated pan bit. I usually just prebake the crusts until very lightly browned, and let them cool. Spreading them with sauce will soften the browner, crisper spots, and I only bake them long enough to melt and brown the cheeses. (I find it easier to have the crusts ready to go, in case things get chaotic in the hustle.)

I find this recipe can make enough dough to make either a) four very thin crusted pizzas or b) two rather less thin, and more substantial crusts (using my half sheet pans)

PIZZA PIZZAS
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
2 cups bread flour (for bread machines)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 teaspoons olive oil
Olive oil, for the pizza crust
Flour, for dusting the pizza peel

Toppings:
1 1/2 ounces pizza sauce
1/2 teaspoon each chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, for example
A combination of 3 grated cheeses such as mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and provolone

Place the sugar, salt, olive oil, water, 1 cup of flour, yeast, and remaining cup of flour into the mixer’s work bowl.
Using the paddle attachment, start the mixer on low and mix until the dough just comes together, forming a ball. Lube the hook attachment with cooking spray. Attach the hook to the mixer and knead for 15 minutes on medium speed.
Tear off a small piece of dough and flatten into a disc. Stretch the dough until thin. Hold it up to the light and look to see if the baker’s windowpane, or taut membrane, has formed. If the dough tears before it forms, knead the dough for an additional 5 to10 minutes. Roll the pizza dough into a smooth ball on the countertop. Place into a stainless steel or glass bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours. Place the pizza stone or tile onto the bottom of a cold oven and turn the oven to its highest temperature, about 500 degrees F. If the oven has coils on the oven floor, place the tile onto the lowest rack of the oven. Split the pizza dough into 2 equal parts using a knife or a dough scraper. Flatten into a disk onto the countertop and then fold the dough into a ball. Wet hands barely with water and rub them onto the countertop to dampen the surface. Roll the dough on the surface until it tightens. Cover one ball with a tea towel and rest for 30 minutes.
Repeat the steps with the other piece of dough. If not baking the remaining pizza immediately, spray the inside of a ziptop bag with cooking spray and place the dough ball into the bag. Refrigerate for up to 6 days.
Sprinkle the flour onto the peel and place the dough onto the peel. Using your hands, form a lip around the edges of the pizza. Stretch the dough into a round disc, rotating after each stretch. Toss the dough in the air if you dare. Shake the pizza on the peel to be sure that it will slide onto the pizza stone or tile. (Dress and bake the pizza immediately for a crisp crust or rest the dough for 30 minutes if you want a chewy texture.)
Brush the rim of the pizza with olive oil. Spread the pizza sauce evenly onto the pizza. Sprinkle the herbs onto the pizza and top with the cheese.

Slide the pizza onto the tile and bake for 7 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Rest for 3 minutes before slicing.

Yield: 2 pizzas
Prep Time: 24 hours 0 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes Show # EA1C11

ljt2r
08-31-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks Anna--it looks yummy. Exactly what I am looking for. :)

--Laura

Beth
08-31-2004, 09:55 AM
Laura -- I'm only looking because I am grabbing a bowl of cereal after missing breakfast and then running out the door again. Divinity is a great workout, and I posted a recipe a while back ---

Found the threead in archives.... here's the link to some divintity (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34560&highlight=divinity) recipes. Have fun!

Beth
08-31-2004, 09:56 AM
I'll still try to get the bread for you later -- I literally had 5 minutes to grab a bowl of cereal and run again.

senior
08-31-2004, 10:24 AM
I like to mention that I found CL recipe for Spanish Buns that I will make in my Cuisinart processor. You can find the recipe under the heading 'spanish' and it looks fairly easy as well as delicious. I will make this dish for my Supper Club friends in September and if you are interested, I will post the results. BTW, I have my best friend living in State College, PA. Your little 'town' is the most beautiful place that I had the pleasure of visiting.

ljt2r
08-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Please do (post the results for the Spanish Buns). Thanks for the Divinity link as well.

Actually we just moved here and I am still blown away by the view out my front door!

-Laura

senior
08-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Congratulations, Laura, you are a lucky lady living in such a beautiful place. I can just imagine that the view is worth a million dollars. My friend lives on Hillcrest in the older section of town.
Barb

ljt2r
08-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Barb:

I don't want to hijack this thread (especially since I started it! :p )--but if you think your friend would be interested in joining a supper club please either PM me or email me at ljt2r@yahoo.com. Like I said we are new to town and I have really been wanting to form a supper club.

--Laura

senior
08-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Laura,

I forwarded your message to her and hopefully, you will be able to get to know each other.

Are you still in search of fixing dinner in your new Kitchen Aid mixer?

Barb

ljt2r
08-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Yes I am still searching for recipes for my KA mixer. Basically I am determined to use it every day for the next several weeks--except maybe on saturday since college football season starts then and I am already making Thai food. :D So I am hoping to gather some really different recipes, so I don't make chocolate chip cookies and regular bread every day. Today I am making a swirled rosemary and cheddar quick bread--because I started too late to do anything requiring yeast. Yesterday was Greek biscotti with wine and spices. You get the idea. :)

Barb: thanks for forwarding my info on to your friend.

--Laura

senior
08-31-2004, 02:25 PM
I will keep my ears and eyes open for anything that's interesting. BTW, I attended a Pampered Chef party and the presentation was a light type pizza dough with (filling) cooked chicken shredded, chili peppers, green peppers, tomatoes, and cheese. The dough was cut into diamant shapes and criss crossed together. Add the filling and cross over the top. Place in oven for about 25 minutes and it makes a beautiful ring with delicious tasting filling. This is not the complete recipe but I am sure you can find it at the Pampered Chef Website. (also, www.copykat.com) I find interesting recipes on that site as well as www.topsecretrecipes.com.

~Barb~

Beth
08-31-2004, 10:56 PM
The Crocodile Bread is rather involved -- 2 starters and then the dough. Also, it requires durum flour -- which I had to go buy from an Italian restaurant when I wanted to try it. If you still want to try it, get some durum flour and let me know. While you search for durum flour, I can work on typing it up.

Here's the Italian Batter Bread. This is not the pour into a loaf pan batter bread. It's a pour it into a puddle on the pizza pan and shape it into a loaf with floured hands kind of batter bread. No kneading, just beating.

1 1/4 c hot water (120-130)
4 1/2 c bread flour, approx
2 pkgs yeast
1 tsp salt

one 14" pizza pan with a lip or if using a convection oven, a 10x15 inch baking sheet with anedge around it.

Grease the pan and generously dust it with cornmeal.

Start with the flat beater and change to teh dough hook as the dough gets heavier.

Pour the hot water and 2 cups of the flour into the mixer bowl. With the mixer running, pour n the yeast and salt. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.

Measure in additional flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the batter is thick and heavy. When a spoonful of the dough is lifted from the bowl, it will be quie elastic and stretchy.

When the dough is so thick and rubbery that it jams the flat beater, change tot eh dough hook. Beat at high speed for 25 minutes. If the mixer becomes hot or the dough climbs up the hook, let the dough rest as long as 15 minutes nd then continue.

Scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and put aside until it triples in volume (2-3 hours).

Uncover the bowl, but do not punch down. Gently scrape the dough onto the prepared pan. With a liberal sprinkling of flour, carefully tuck the edges under to shape a rounded loaf about 12' in diameter.

Sprinkle the dough with four and cover with a flour covered cloth to rise until doubled and puffy -- about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees about 20 minutes before baking.

Bake in the cener shelf of the oven for about 50 minutes,

ljt2r
09-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Beth: Was there something more to it? The last sentence ends with a comma.

Re: the crocodile bread--i didnt realize you were having to type them out, i figured it was something you had already saved. no wonder you keep not having time! if you ever type it up because you have to anyway, PM me or find this link. otherwise, dont worry about it. i am very familiar with what a pain it can be to type a long recipe out.

thanks! laura

Beth
09-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Not sure if it was a typo or just a until it's done -- browned on top and thumps hollow on the bottom.

I may have posted this one before, but some of the bread threads are 150-200 posts and I can't say that I would ever find it. I did find references to it. I don't think I've ever posted the other one -- it is in The Italian Baker by Carol Field. I tried to see is I could scan it with OCR, but the software is not loaded on this computer. If I can get it for you later and still remember to do it, I will.

Beth
09-01-2004, 08:53 PM
This one is like no other bread I have made. A very wet dough that makes a loaf that is crusty and full of holes, but and interior that is too glutenous to be accurately called a crumb. It's on the salty and chewey side.

Crocodile Bread

Makes 2 large loaves

FIRST STARTER
½ tsp active dry yeast
1 c warm water
¼ c durum flour
¾ c unbleached stone ground flour

The morning of the first day, combine water and yeast and let sit until creamy. Add flours and stir about 50 strokes with a wooden spoon or about 30 seconds with the paddle of a mixer. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 12-24 hours.

SECOND STARTER
1 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
¼ cup warm water
1 ¼ c water at room temp
½ c durum flour
1 ½ c unbleached stone ground flour

The evening of the first day or morning of the second day, stir the yeast into the warm water and let stand until creamy. Add the water, flour and dissolved yeast to the first starter and stir until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 12-24 hours.

DOUGH
¼ c durum flour
1 to 1 ¼ cups unbleached stone ground flour
1 ½ T salt

The next day, add the durum flour and 1 c of the unbleached flour to the starter in a mixing bowl. Mix on the lowest speed of the mixer for 17 minutes. Add the salt and mix 3 minutes longer, adding the remaining flour as needed for the dough to come together. You may need to switch the mixer off once or twice to keep it from overheating.

First Rise
Pour the dough into a Hammarplast bowl or a wide-mouthed large bowl placed on an open trivet on legs or a wok ring so that air an circulate all around it. Loosely drape a towel over the top and let rise at about 70 degrees, turning the dough over in the bowl every hour, until tripled, about 4-5 hours.

Second Rise
Pour the wet dough onto a generously floured surface. Have a mound of flour ready nearby to flour your hands, the top of the oozy dough and the work surface. Make a big round shape by tucking the edges under a bit – it will not be precise. Place the dough on well-floured parchment or brown paper placed on a baking sheet or peel. Cover with a dampened towel and let rise until very blistered and full of air bubbles – about 45 min.

Baking
Thirty min before baking, preheat oven with a baking stone to 475. Just before baking, cut the dough in half down the center with a dough scraper (a knife will tear). Gently slide the 2 pieces apart and turn the cut surfaces to face upward. Sprinkle the stone with cornmeal. If you feel brave, slide the paper with the dough onto the stone, but dough can also be baked on the baking sheet. When the dough has set, slide the paper out. Bake for about 30-35 min. Cool on a rack.

ljt2r
09-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Wow! Thanks, Beth. That recipe looks very interesting--and definitely a work-out for my KA. I will let you know how it turns out; I am hoping to make it early next week (as I see it requires almost 3 days, including all the risings).

Thanks!
:p
Laura

Beth
09-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by ljt2r
Wow! Thanks, Beth. That recipe looks very interesting--and definitely a work-out for my KA. I will let you know how it turns out; I am hoping to make it early next week (as I see it requires almost 3 days, including all the risings).

Thanks!
:p
Laura

Two full days will do it if you start in the morning. I haven't made this in a long time, but I think I did more of the 12 hours. If hose push to 24 hours, you could start to get a sourdough quality, and I don't remember that.

ljt2r
09-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Beth:

I discovered something interesting about durum flour and thought I would share--my local Wegman's had it, but it was in both the Italian section and in the Indian section under the name Sooji (Rava). It is the exact same thing. So next time you need it, if you have a local Indian store you may find it a lot more easily.

--Laura :)

Seitvonzu
09-02-2004, 06:27 PM
laura--
all your adventures in state college are making me sorta sad. my husband and just moved from state college to maryland for his new job. he's a recent PhD and i'm still working on my doctorate (from afar!). i miss wegmans and the pretty hills and all the good ice cream. of course mostly my friends who all moved at about the same time.. just as well.

(i also saw your post on the supper club board.. i hope you find some people. where does your husband work?)

ljt2r
09-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Seitvonzu:

Penn State, of course! John is in the BioInformatics dept; he is a computer scientist. And I wish you were still here--I have found one possibly interested person for the supper club, but we really need more than 2 people! :o

-Laura