PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti Carbonara Question

jtoepfert100
08-31-2004, 10:13 AM
I want to make the CL Spaghetti Carbonara (12/01)tonight with a few modifications. I don't have spaghetti so I want to use either Farfalle or Rigatoni. I also want to add frozen peas to the dish. (I love peas and ham together.) No problem with the sub on pasta, I think, but I'm not sure when to add the peas or whether I should cook them first.

Here's the recipe:

Spaghetti Carbonara
From Cooking Light

Chopped ham replaces the bacon in this version of the classic Italian dish.

8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain the pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the ham, and cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add pasta, and stir well. Combine cheese and the next 4 ingredients (cheese through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Add the reserved pasta liquid to egg mixture, stirring with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over pasta mixture; stir well. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly (do not boil). Sprinkle with pepper.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 352 (25% from fat); FAT 9.6g (sat 4.6g, mono 2.2g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 21g; CARB 45g; FIBER 1.4g; CHOL 139mg; IRON 1.7mg; SODIUM 748mg; CALC 179mg;

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2001

Thanks!

kbs
08-31-2004, 10:23 AM
I made a version once a zillion years ago, but I'm pretty sure you add the thawed peas towards the end so they don't get mushy and break up.

HTH!
-Kim

patissac
08-31-2004, 11:08 AM
I agree with kim add thawed peas at the end!

krhm
08-31-2004, 11:13 AM
I remember one CL version that had you place the frozen peas in the colander, then drain the pasta over the peas, so the hot water thaws them quickly and the heat from the noodles warms them up without making them mushy. Or was that a Weight Watchers recipe? Hmm, either way, I remember it worked really well...the peas were exactly right.

jtoepfert100
08-31-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone. I do hate mushy peas. In fact, I actually like them uncooked. Just didn't want them to be cold in the pasta. I'll have to let you know how it goes.