PDA

View Full Version : ISO ideas for leftover caponata

bbenedict
09-03-2004, 06:02 AM
I made some caponata (recipe follows) from Andrea Chessman's Vegetarian Grill (one of my FAVORITE cookbooks). We had some on bagel chips as an appetizer and then had some on pasta with a little parmigianno reggiano (forgive my spelling) on top.

Still got some leftovers. Was thinking about putting in on a pizza but thought you folks might have some great ideas.

TIA

Caponata

1 medium size eggplant, sliced 3/8 inch thick
1 onion, quartered
1/4 c. olive oil
1 1/2 c. diced fresh or canned tomatoes (I used canned)
2 celery ribs, diced (I left out. DH doesn't like it.)
1/2 c. chopped green olives
1/4 c. chopped parsley
2 T chopped fresh basil
2 T. capers, rinsed and drained
2 T. red wine vinegar, or more to taste
salt and pepper

1.Prepare medium-hot fire in grill.
2.Brush eggplant and onion with the olive oil. Skewer the onion.
3.Grill the eggplant and onion, turning occasionally, until tender and well browned, about 10 minutes.
4.Chop the eggplant and onion into bite-size pieces. Combine in a large bowl with the tomatoes, celery, olives, parsley, basil, capers, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
5.Let sit for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Taste and add more vinegar, salt and/or pepper, if desired. (This can be made a few days in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Serve at room temperature.

Serving Suggestions: Traditionally, caponata is served at room temperature as a salad, relish, or side dish, but I've also served it as a sandwich spread and a topping for pasta and pizza.

tholbrook
09-03-2004, 07:26 AM
I don't have any specific recipes for you. My husband uses the leftovers at our house for sandwiches - a good crusty baguette with the caponata, roast beef and provolone. I don't know if he eats it cold or hot, though.

I've never tried it - but maybe put the leftovers over polenta with some crumbled goat cheese on top? And there would have to be some goat cheese and parmesan melted into the polenta, of course!

Hey, I might have to make some caponata and try that myself! :p
Pizza sounds good too.

CompassRose
09-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Omelette filling. I heart omelettes.

tippy7
09-03-2004, 07:59 AM
I have used caponata as a calzone filling with provalone, for a quick salad mixed with greens and a little grilled chicken, and for a bruschetta topping. Pizza is a great idea though...it is making me hungry just thinking about it!

bbenedict
09-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone. Great idease (as USUAL). Sometimes I just need help thinking outside the box and you folks always help me do it.

Oooh, now which of your suggestions to try first. I may have to can the pizza for tonight and try something else.

Thanks!
Bonnie