PDA

View Full Version : Avert your eyes!

lisas3575
09-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Oops, wrong board. :o

CompassRose
09-17-2004, 11:32 AM
And here I was hoping for the latest Paula Deen sugar-seizure-on-a-plate!
:p

bobmark226
09-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by CompassRose
And here I was hoping for the latest Paula Deen sugar-seizure-on-a-plate!
:p

You rang?

Bob

Pineapple Casserole Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
See this recipe on air Thursday Sep. 30 at 11:30 AM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
User Rating:

http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2003/11/07/pa1b10_pineapple_casserole_e.jpg

1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups grated sharp cheddar
2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained, and 6 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved
1 cup cracker crumbs (recommended: Ritz)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a medium-size casserole dish with butter.

In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the cheese. Add the drained pineapple chunks, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.

In another medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved pineapple juice, stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly blended. Spread crumb mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

kara_posey
09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Interesting recipe! Have you tried this, Bob? Man, Paula never lets us down :D

ellery
09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Wow. My teeth hurt just reading that recipe.

ellen6242
09-17-2004, 12:05 PM
I had the Food Network on the other day when Paula made that casserole. Just one question..WHAT IS THAT WOMAN THINKING??????? Believe me, I'm not putting down Southern cooking. I'm sure that my Yom Kippur break the fast meal of pickeled herring, smoked whitefish, kugel, etc., would not appeal to all people. But, does she really think that anyone would actually make such a dish???? I'm generally willing to taste just about anything, but I would have to draw the line there :)

Ellen

HUNGRY!
09-17-2004, 12:08 PM
There was a woman who made that very thing at a department pot-luck at my last job. The funny thing was she turned her nose up at every one else's offerings.

susan_foster
09-17-2004, 12:37 PM
What exactly is it supposed to be - main dish? Dessert?

Now I'm all about Hawaiian pizza, so I have no problems with pineapple in a main dish. And I like cheese on apples (or should I spell it cheeze - I use the cheeze fud slices in the microwave - the horror!), so I can see cheese with fruit. But this just does not compute.

Susan

MISSINDI
09-17-2004, 12:39 PM
I made it sometime last year, mostly out of curiosity. Everyone had some ... it wasn't necessarily bad, more just interesting. Don't think I'd make it again though...

... back to averting my eyes.

bobmark226
09-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by susan_foster
But this just does not compute.

Susan, that's because she somehow left out the mayonnaise! :rolleyes:

The folks at her foodtv forum like this one a lot. No surprise, really.

Me, I have a serious aversion to Ritz crackers.

Bob

cniles
09-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by bobmark226

Susan, that's because she somehow left out the mayonnaise! :rolleyes:

Bob

Don't forget the 8 eggs and heavy cream!!;)

MusicMom
09-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Was that picture supposed to look appetizing?

Now I wish I didn't look!:)

Linda in MO
09-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by ellen6242
Just one question..WHAT IS THAT WOMAN THINKING??????? does she really think that anyone would actually make such a dish????
OK, I'm not embarassed to admit that I make a Pineapple Casserole that my husband and I LOVE! I've adapted it over the years. It used to call for more sugar, more cheese, more butter and less cracker crumbs. I've posted it here before...maybe one day someone will be brave enough to try it. ;) It's a side dish I serve with ham, btw.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pineapple Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casserole Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 -20 oz. can Dole pineapple chunks (drain and keep
juice)
3 T. flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, scant
2 -3 T. melted butter (no substitutes)
3/4 -1 c. crushed Ritz crackers (don't use the
low-fat crackers)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, sugar and 3 T. pineapple juice.

Add cheese and pineapple and stir.

Spoon into casserole dish.

Mix cracker crumbs with the melted butter. Cover casserole with crumbs.

Bake 25 minutes or until heated through.

Serving Ideas : This is great served with ham or smoked pork chops.

NOTES : You can double, triple, or quadruple this recipe.

luckylori
09-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I've had Linda's version of this in the past, and it's actually quite good. It's a popular side dish down here in the South.

Ann Sanders
09-18-2004, 12:36 PM
I made Paula's Pineapple Casserole for Easter. It was a nice compliment to the ham. Everyone enjoyed it. No left overs. But then again, I cut the recipe in half.TEE-HEE:D

colleency
09-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ellery
Wow. My teeth hurt just reading that recipe.

My stomache hurts reading that recipe.

Editing to say that it looks like a bunch of people have tried it and liked it, so I guess I shouldn't knock it until I try it. The cheddar cheese and pineapple combo is making me feel icky, and I like Hawaiian pizza.

KLynn
09-18-2004, 06:10 PM
OK, I will admit it too. Pineapple Cheese Casserole has been a staple at my family's Southern table for as long as I can remember. Haute cuisine it's not, but it brings up warm fuzzy memories for this otherwise snobby foodie :p

mbrogier
09-18-2004, 07:34 PM
I, being Southern, have a lot of Southern church cookbooks. I've gone through them and gagged at a lot of the weird recipes. I saw pineapple casserole and thought uggh! :eek: I went out of town at Easter, and my husband ate with friends. They served pineapple casserole with the ham. My husband, who loves gourmet food, actually liked it. I have not brought myself to make it. The thought of pineapple and cheddar together just turns my stomach. That picture with all that buttah didn't help. :rolleyes:

golden1225
09-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by susan_foster
What exactly is it supposed to be - main dish? Dessert?

I'm a southern girl, and I can tell you this appeared at more than one family reunion and church potluck in the hills of TN! It's a side dish. Pretty tasty, actually!
:) :)

Wendy w
09-18-2004, 08:08 PM
I am kind of grossed out by the recipe, because its something I'm not used to and I mean no offense to anyone who has been raised in the South, but eeeeeew/yuck. My Mom was not the best of cooks (thought she was) and one of my childhood favs is in the following link:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23822&highlight=casserole

Bob, do you happen to have a closeted thing for Paula's recipes
coming with recipes at the drop of a hat? ;) :p

JanetB
09-18-2004, 08:12 PM
It sounds horrid - and I was a little taken back by it when it was served at a family reunion my DH's family had a few years ago - but I have to admit - I really liked his aunt's version of it (looked a lot more appetizing) - and asked for the recipe - it is really great with ham. I haven't made it - but I thought it good enough to request the recipe.