PDA

View Full Version : help me lighten...black bottom cake

TerriS
09-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Hey all!
I want to make my DH this cake that his mom used to make for him for his birthday. I would like to lighten it a bit since we are both Weight Watchers.

Black Bottom Cake
Cake
1 box chocolate cake mix (any chocolate variety).
1 pkg chocolate instant pudding mix.

follow directions on cake box and add the package of pudding mix.
mix all together and pour into a lightly greased bundt or tube pan. set aside.

Filling
8 oz pk cream cheese, softened
1 beaten egg
sm package chocolate chips (reserve a few for the topping)
1/3 cup sugar

Mix filling ingredients and evenly pour over top of the cake mix.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
When cool frost with a glaze icing.

Glaze Icing
4 oz cream cheese whipped with a little milk and confection sugar. pour over top, allowing glaze to drip down sides, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top.

I can use light or fat free cream cheese, splenda, and probably egg beaters in the filling. That I know. The question is how to lighten up the cake part...I can use sugar free fat free pudding mix, egg beaters...I just am not sure how far to push it. Use some applesauce, Baking Healthy, plain FF yogurt, or similar for some of the oil that the box mix will surely call for, perhaps? Any tried and true ways to lighten cake mix?

Then for the glaze once again I can use light or fat free cream cheese and splenda for some of the sugar. I also might do a chocolate glaze...the one for Banana Fudge Cake was pretty good.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

wyopatti
09-23-2004, 10:16 AM
I replace oil with applesauce in almost every cake I make with great success. If you're afraid you could always use half oil and half applesauce. If a cake calls for three eggs, I usually use one whole and then four egg whites, have never used the Egg Beaters but I'm sure they're fine. The sugar free pudding should be fine. I wouldn't strip out all the fat or the taste of the cake might suffer. You could always use a few less chocolate chips.