PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a new cooktop????

karen w
09-24-2004, 07:01 AM
I want advice from the experts! Today is my birthday(40!!!). DH wants to get me a new cooktop for my birthday. I'm having a hard time with this idea since there is nothing wrong with my old one. I have a 36" Kitchenaid Ceramic electric cooktop now which he wants to replace with a 36" 6 burner Viking gas cooktop. He has spent the past few months researching all of this, going to stores etc... and gave me all the pamphlets this morning. The whole thing was precipitated by me saying once awhile ago, "Gee, if I had been in to cooking when we built our house, I would have chosen gas." So I'm not sure what to do, now. I really have cooked with electric most of my life, and have very little experience with gas cooking, but, of course, I've heard how wonderful it is. We already have a gas line. DH had them put one in before we redid our basement last spring just in case....some day...you never know.... Little did I know he was plotting even back then!! I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice/opinions etc...

TIA,
Karen

lhall
09-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Yes!!!!

Go for it! It sounds like your DH has put a lot of thought into this idea. If it's what you really want then don't look back. Who cares if nothing is wrong with the one you have....you're worth the new one!

Happy Birthday too! :D :D

Leigh

wallycat
09-24-2004, 07:18 AM
WOW, if a Viking is in your budget....RUN, do not walk.....get it!!!

We had electric when I married DH and I moved in here; After 2 years, I'd had it. We have gas now. Sadly, we don't have a Viking :p
After reading the "this home site" website, I know there are lots of really wonderful gas ranges to choose from in every budget.....but I would definitely do gas again.
Enjoy it, happy birthday and let us know how that wonderful Viking will work!!!!

tperes
09-24-2004, 08:44 AM
And Karen,

You may be able to donate your perfectly good and usable cooktop to say a Habitat for Humanity house, or sell it to a used appliance store or salvage place.

Go for the Gas! Even my 1972 gas stove works better than any electric I have ever had.

Happy 40th!
:D

wallycat
09-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Excellent point!
We donated our perfectly good electric stove :)

Member10000
09-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Given the choice, I'd take gas any day over electric. I grew up with electric and have had gas for about 6 years now and don't ever want to go back. One thing though, make sure you have adequate vent/exhaust if you go with the 6 burner. A friend of mine has her smoke detector go off every time she uses hers. She has great applinaces but a rinkydink exhaust system.

tholbrook
09-24-2004, 11:00 AM
This is all good to know...

My husband is also pushing me to make the switch to gas instead of electric (like karen w, we also have lines run already). For some reason, gas stoves intimidate me. A fire bug, I am not.

I currently have a KitchenAid oven/stove that I hate - oven temperature is off by about 25 degrees and one of the stove burners (the one I use the most) will boil water on low.

DH wants me to get something nice but since I've (somewhat) made peace with the one I have, I have a hard time justifying the cost to myself.

But if everyone thinks gas is the way to go, maybe I'll make the switch soon! Does anyone have anything bad to say about having a gas stove?

Happy Birthday, Karen !!!

karen w
09-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the birthday wishes and the great advice everyone!!:)

I took an unofficial poll of my neighbors this morning at the bus stop, and they agree with you! Gas seems to be the way to go. I already have a fairly good exhaust system which can be used with the new cooktop(although we may change it if we switch to stainless as mine is white now). I talked again to DH this morning, and told him to call the town to see if they need to come out and inspect the gas line, and the process of getting a gas tank(permits etc...) But it looks like we may be switching. Not sure of when this will all happen, but the process has begun!

Karen

Little Bit
09-24-2004, 11:11 AM
If you do get a Viking, make sure to install it with adequate ventilation and heat protection for the rest of the house.

The only reason I say that, is that I knew a woman who had a Viking (not sure of model) for years and years, (so far as I know she still does, and when remodeling the house, realized that her oven got SO HOT that the wall behind the unit was burned/scorched quite badly. Can't help thinking some serious planning would be involved for whatever unit she had.

(Maybe the newer units are more home-use friendly?)

Meganator
09-24-2004, 11:30 AM
I agree that gas is the way to go. However, we neglected to realize the importance of a "simmer burner" when we purchased our first gas stove. So it is VERY difficult to lower the flame on my stove low enough to simmer without the flame going out. This may be something standard on a higher end brand such as Viking, but just something to be aware of.

Gail
09-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Meganator
I agree that gas is the way to go. However, we neglected to realize the importance of a "simmer burner" when we purchased our first gas stove. So it is VERY difficult to lower the flame on my stove low enough to simmer without the flame going out. This may be something standard on a higher end brand such as Viking, but just something to be aware of.

Wouldn't a simple diffuser take care of that?

springsgourmet9
09-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Go with the gas! I just remodeled my kitchen and put in a gas Miehle 5 burner that includes simmer control. I absolutely love it! Have been cooking for many years with electric and wish I would have gone to gas long ago. Happy Birthday!

cinnabun
09-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Another vote for gas. I went from having gas to electric and I don't like it either. I can't get used to it and have been using it for about 8 years now. I have been looking around myself as far as ovens and appliances are concerned just in case I ever find another place and am really liking the dacor brand. I'll have to buy my own appliances and want something that I will like and use. I like the 48" stoves too, no wall space taken up by the ovens. Although an advantium type oven might be nice to have.

mbrogier
09-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Happy Birthday, Karen! Yes, go for the gas! I had a Viking range and it was wonderful. I'm not a firebug (I've had the burned eyebrows and burned back deck to prove it) and had no problems with mine...other than that one incident with my favorite Ann Taylor sweater. :rolleyes: Hint, Don't wear a loose open cardigan when reaching up into the cabinet above the range. You WILL catch on fire. :D I had electric before, and I can't believe I actually cooked on that thing. You won't know how you lived without it.

The one thing I really like in a gas range is burners that allow me to slide a heavy pot from a front burner to a back burner. The shape of the burner plates sometimes make that a little more difficult. Now they even make ranges that allow for oversized pots to cook on two burners. I can't wait to get another Viking. Your husband is a sweetheart!

VALERIEA234
09-24-2004, 03:07 PM
HI,
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND MOST OF THE SUMMER FOR A NEW COOK TOP, DH HAS FINALLY TALKED ME INTO HAVING GAS FOR COOKING. WHAT I FINALLY DECIDED ON IS S FISHER PAYKEL IN STAINLESS STEEL. IT COMES FROM NEW ZEALAND AND IS RATHER $$$$$$$$, BUT WE ARE BUILDING OUR LAST HOUSE I HOPE. THE STOVE TOP IS 36" AND HAS 5 BURNERS.

cinnabun
09-24-2004, 03:48 PM
That F & P is awesome. I never thought of looking into a single oven and putting 2 of them under the counter/under the cooktop. I guess I have more options to weigh than I thought.

karen w
09-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, DH just came home and wanted to know what the vote was on the BB. I told him 100% Yay; 0% Nay. He's all psyched now. We would just be replaceing the cooktop. I already have a double wall oven which is electric, and that will be staying. My cooktop is on my island in my kitchen. The island is 9 ft. by ~4ft.(yes, I have a big kitchen!)and there are no cabinets etc... over it so I hope catching my clothes on fire as I reach overhead to get something will not be an issue:D . The countertop is granite and my current cooktop is 36", so we will likely stick to a Viking 36" which come in 5 and 6 burner models. Ventilation should not be a problem, but I'll make sure to reaffirm that(thanks for that advice!). So I think it's a "GO!" Now I'm starting to get really excited!:)

Have a good weekend,
Karen

VALERIEA234
09-24-2004, 05:58 PM
HI,
I CAN NOT PUT THE OVEN UNDER THE COOKTOP,BECAUSE OF THE VENT THAT I WANTED, IT WILL COME UP AT THE BACK OF THE COOKTOP. ALSO THE VENT WILL THEN LEAD TO THE OUTSIDE. THIS IS ITEM ALSO NEEDS TO BE CHECKED OUT WITH YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER.
YOUR IDEA MAY WORK IF THE VENT, GOES UP THRU THE CEILING.

colleency
09-24-2004, 06:33 PM
ValerieA234, you might want to check your Caps Lock. Reading text in all caps is very difficult. Thanks.

karen w
10-16-2004, 06:11 PM
I thought tonight was an appropriate night to thank everyone for their advice and give an update. My cooktop arrived on Thursday and yesterday the gas company came out to set the tank and get things hooked up. So today, I broke in my new baby! I figured I had to make something that required a long simmering time. Since I had a half package of dried beans to use up, I made a pasta fagioli which SIMMERED....I MEAN REALLY SIMMERED for 1 1/2-2 hours on the stove. It's now getting happy in the fridge, but I can't wait to taste it tomorrow for lunch. We ended up getting the 6 burner Viking we originally picked out. And man, if anything, it looks so impressive. I keep walking into the kitchen thinking this does not belong here ...it belongs in a restauraunt! So thanks again everyone. I appreciate all the advice and words of encouragement.

Karen

JLCS
10-16-2004, 11:05 PM
I have one, and am now upgrading from a 6 burner viking cook top. I have had it 3 years and have repaced 4 of the 6 burners and 3"microprocessor" which tell the stove when the burner is lit. When the micro is ot, the spark ignigtor can't tell if the flame is on or not, so keeps sparking, not a major problem but noisy. We are sleeing the house and again (sigh)will have to relpace the micro thing. Even the techs which fix he things will thel you they are very unreliable.

Unless ou want a ton of repair costs, keep looking. mine won't be going to any charity, they dont need this kind of upkeep costs.