PDA

View Full Version : Bea's Unstuffed Cabbage: Thanks Bob!

kima
09-30-2004, 06:20 PM
We had this for dinner tonight and all I can say is YUM!!! The recipe is in Jane Brody's marvellous book {b] Good Food Gourmet [/b].
Bob has raved about it (endlessly!!!:D ;) ) and though I have had this book for years I have never made it.
I know you all want the recipe and I will type it up if no else offers to first (someone who can actually type) or has it in Mastercook.:)
Very family friendly dish if your kids will eat cabbage!

kima
09-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Well I found it on the web!! Bea's Unstuffed Cabbage

ground beef, soups

1 onion diced (1 cup)
2 lb head green cabbage,dice
8 oz tomato sauce
28 oz can peeled tomatoes & juice
1 cup water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup raisins
1 lb ground beef or veal or lamb
1/2 cup raw white rice
1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 ground pepper to taste

NOTE: This has a long cooking time. It is a dish that is best prepared early in the day and reheated at serving time since the flavor improves. NOTE: Ms. Brody says that this dish could easily feed a crowd if you have a pot or pots big enough to double or guadruple, etc. it. 1. In a large heavy pot combine all the soup ingredients except the raisins. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat while preparing the meatballs. 2. Combine meatball ingredients, stirring them to mix thoroughly. With wet hands, roll the meat mixture in 1 1/4" balls. Add the meatballs to the boiling cabbage soup, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 2 hours. 3. Remove the cover, add the raisins, and cook for another 30 minutes in the uncovered pot. She suggests that mashed potatoes would be an excellent accompaniment. Also, that the dish goes well with broad egg noodles.

I left out the raisins! And used ground lamb! (sorry Lucy)

bobmark226
10-01-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by kima

I left out the raisins! And used ground lamb! (sorry Lucy)

I know it's something a lot of people don't care for, but I love the raisins in this and always up the quantity a bit even. They really add to the sweet & sour flavor of the dish.

Glad you enjoyed it, Maureen. It's never gone out of my winter rotation since I first made it eons ago!

Bob

leightx
10-01-2004, 08:45 AM
So is this like a soup? A stew?? :confused:

The thought of raisins swimming around in soup is making me a little squiggy.

Kayaksoup
10-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by leightx

You would think, wouldn't you!
But I have tried both raisins and currants in soup and it isn't so bad. Unless of course you don't like raisins, or mixing sweet and savoury.....

bobmark226
10-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by leightx

It's closer to a stew...braised cabbage with small meatballs, really.

And if you haven't made CL's Turkey Mole Soup...with raisins...you're missing a really good one.

Of course, if you're raisin-o-phobic, that's a different thing altogether.

Bob

leightx
10-01-2004, 09:11 AM
No no, I love raisins, and I like sweet/savory dishes (especially Thai/peanutty stuff)! I'm just still not sold on raisins in savory dishes (I've seen them in cous cous and stuffing, and don't think I can go there). I'm trying to expand my palate a bit...perhaps I'll put this on the menu for tonight. We have exactly a lb. of lamb in the freezer....

kima
10-01-2004, 09:25 AM
It really is like eating cabbage rolls-just ones that have fallen apart!!!:) :)

We are having the leftovers tonight and I think they will taste even better! Thanks again Bob!:)

ellen6242
10-01-2004, 10:30 AM
My grandmother always put raisins in her sweet and sour meatballs and kugels. To this day, I do the same. I love the flavor! I can't wait to try this recipe. Thansk for posting it!

Ellen