PDA

View Full Version : Have You Heard of Mark Miller?

MISSINDI
10-01-2004, 10:57 AM
GE has a new ad featuring Mark Miller in his kitchen with the text: "Maestro in his Coyote Cafe. 50 mile desert vistas in his backyard. 5,000 cookbooks in his library. So what's cooking in his kitchen?" My mom ripped it out for me because she thought I'd get a kick out of seeing that he has 5,000 cookbooks, a number that definitely rivals my paltry 800 or so. It also has a small picture of his library. Anyways, I'd never heard of him, and he has many, apparently good cookbooks out there. Anyone have a favorite cookbook or recipe from him to start me off?

Found this web site of his: www.coyote-cafe.com

and this info on him:
More About Mark Miller

Mark Miller is nationally recognized for his innovative style of modern Southwest cuisine at Coyote Café in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Las Vegas, Nevada, and western-themed cuisine at the Red Sage restaurant in Washington, D.C. He has received tremendous publicity and numerous awards over the course of his career. His achievements have consistently drawn acclaim in the national press, including the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Gourmet, Vogue, Time, Bon Appetit, and countless others. Some of the numerous honors bestowed on him include the 1998 Food Arts Silver Spoon Award, the 1996 James Beard Award for Best Southwest Chef, and his 1991 induction into the Nation’s Restaurant News’ Fine Dining Hall of Fame. Red Sage was awarded Esquire’s 1992 Restaurant of the Year, and Mark was featured in a special 1980s edition of Life magazine as one of the most influential chefs of the decade. Articles have also appeared in several foreign publications, including German, Italian, and Japanese magazines and newspapers.

Despite his success, Miller’s culinary career was not exactly planned from the outset, but cooking became the practical application of his anthropological interests and studies. Born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts, Miller was drawn to the West and the University of California at Berkeley in 1967, where he studied Chinese art history and anthropology. After a period of postgraduate work and teaching, Miller took a break from academia and pursued his fervor for cooking by seizing an opportunity to work with Alice Waters at Chez Panisse.

In 1979 Miller left Chez Panisse to open his own restaurant in Berkeley, the Fourth Street Grill, where he was able to cook spicier, more rustic food drawn from ideas he gained from his travels throughout Central America, North Africa, Southeast Asia, and the Southwest. In 1980 Miller opened his second Berkeley restaurant, the Santa Fe Bar and Grill. There he served Cajun, Creole, and Southwestern food and played a major role in establishing Southwestern food as a nationally recognized cuisine.

Miller sold both restaurants in 1984 and decided that the logical place to further develop his modern Southwest cuisine was in Santa Fe. The Coyote Café took two years to complete and opened to critical acclaim in 1987. Red Sage opened in 1992 and includes a 150-seat restaurant, a 100-seat chile bar, three private dining rooms, a bakery, and a retail store. He opened another Coyote Café in December, 1993, in Las Vegas.

Miller, who has well over a half million books in print, has nurtured his passionate and varied interest in food through his publications, including the best-selling cookbook Coyote Café (Ten Speed Press, 1989). The menu at Coyote Café reflects his passion for chiles, which has also inspired The Great Chile Posters and How Hot Is Your Chile? (Black) (Celestial Arts, 1990) and The Great Chile Book (Ten Speed Press, 1991). Next came Indian Corn of the Americas (Celestial Arts, 1993), a beautiful poster set that celebrates 30 varieties of corn: Indian Corn of the Americas (Black) and Indian Corn of the Americas (Maize). In his third book, Coyote's Pantry (Ten Speed Press, 1993), Miller combines talents with Coyote Café executive chef Mark Kiffin to present the joys of making authentic, natural condiments and accompaniments at home. The Great Salsa Book (Ten Speed Press, 1994) contains 100 delicious recipes for 10 different types of salsa. The recipes in Mark Miller's Indian Market Cookbook (Ten Speed Press, 1995), which is a celebration of Santa Fe’s Indian Market Week, highlight ingredients from farmers throughout the region. That same year, he created The Squash Posters, in Squash (natural) and Squash (black)(Celestial Arts, 1995). Flavored Breads from the Famous Coyote Café (Ten Speed Press, 1996) puts a savory spin on the hottest trend in baking. Miller then helps quench our thirst with Cool Coyote Café Juice Drinks (Ten Speed, 1997). His most recent book, Red Sage: Contemporary American Cuisine (Ten Speed Press, 1999), contains amazing recipes from his famous Washington, D.C., restaurant of the same name and celebrates the spirit of the wild, wild West.

slknight
10-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Mmmm. Red Sage. We used to eat there when I lived in DC. They used to have this "chocolate tombstones" dessert. I think I've got the Flavored Breads from Coyote Cafe but I've never made anything out of it.:o

MISSINDI
10-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by slknight
Mmmm. Red Sage. We used to eat there when I lived in DC. They used to have this "chocolate tombstones" dessert. I think I've got the Flavored Breads from Coyote Cafe but I've never made anything out of it.:o

The Flavored Breads (along with the Indian Market) cookbook went on my growing wishlist. Are there a lot of pictures in it?

bobmark226
10-01-2004, 02:13 PM
You know, it must have been the same commercial where I saw him, but I just now realized that Coyote Cafe, which has been around for eons, is the manufacturer of all those Coyote Cocina products, which I used to use a lot, especially the hot sauces, which are excellent. They were around (BB&B used to carry them) before the hot sauce market really exploded.

Bob

HRJ
10-01-2004, 04:51 PM
This is OT, but the title of your thread really made me laugh -- when I lived in Jersey, I worked for many years with a guy named Mark Miller. He was great to work with -- funny, reasonable, even-tempered and very good at what he did. But I don't think that's the Mark Miller you're interested in.

Helene

slawrence
10-01-2004, 05:34 PM
I ate at Coyote Cafe years ago. It was wonderful...glad to see his name out there more. Sue

JLS
10-01-2004, 07:36 PM
ahhh....the coyote cafe!! a trip there, definately enhances the trip to Santa Fe experience.

slknight
10-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by MISSINDI

The Flavored Breads (along with the Indian Market) cookbook went on my growing wishlist. Are there a lot of pictures in it?

It's upstairs right now and I'm too lazy to go check! But, I believe there are a fair amount of pics in it. It's a nice glossy book. I'll look for you this weekend.