PDA

View Full Version : Gluten? What is it? Where can I find it?

hooligan
10-04-2004, 08:42 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying a new bread recipe this week for whole wheat bread. The recipe calls for gluten. I went to my local supermarket and scoured the baking needs isle, natural foods section, and refrigerator section. We asked multiple employees who looked at us blankly and pointed us back to the baking needs aisle. We found yeast, but no gluten.

It probably didn't help that we weren't sure if we were looking for a liquid or a powder or whether it was something that needed to be refrigerated? Can anyone help? My foodie coworker thinks I might have luck at WF and she was fairly certain it was a powder. She also thought it might be called ___ gluten (so something before the g word).

TIA for your help!

Grace
10-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi. It's called Vital Wheat Gluten and you can get it at King Arthur Flour (mail order). Here's a link to the product on their website:

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp;jsessionid=08301756671096896168566?id=3 019&pv=1096896168765

I do believe you can get it at Whole Foods though. And Hodgson Mill also makes it, it comes in box. Here is a link to their website with a picture so you'll know what to look for (although you can mail order from their website too, but I know they sell their products in grocery stores, so you should be able to find it locally).

http://commerce24.pair.com/webstaff/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=00810&Category_Code=bakingaids

Good luck!

1MegMeg
10-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Yes, you should definitely be able to find it at Whole Foods. at my health food store they sell it in the bulk bins. I buy it there because it's cheaper and I can control how much I purchase. :)

Little Bit
10-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Amazingly enough, I've spotted this at regular grocery stores, both in the baking/flour/cake mix aisle, and in the part of the store they reserve for the Sugar Buster's/Atkins/special diet foods, usually near other specialty grains like rye and soy flours.

hooligan
10-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks to your responses, I was able to spot a box of it at WF. Thanks for the information and pictures!