PDA

View Full Version : What to make with lots of cauliflower?

foodfiend
10-05-2004, 08:08 PM
It's cheap and plentiful right now at the supermarket. (Plus, the cauliflower I saw looked great). I'm so-so on cauliflower soup (a bit bland), and I don't like cauliflower with cheese dishes. Are there any cauliflower dishes with attitude? TIA

SandyM
10-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Here's a good start.

http://community.cookinglight.com/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=571642&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

I just did a search for the word "cauliflower" appearing in the "title only" and came up with this string of threads. Lots of different things discussed.

shel
10-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Roasted Cauliflower
Source: Cooking Light, Nov. 2002

Mellow, slightly sweet roasted garlic and onions round out the flavor of cauliflower.

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 medium onions, quartered
5 garlic cloves, halved
4 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

-Preheat oven to 500°.
-Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
-Place onion mixture and cauliflower in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray.
-Combine water and mustard; pour over vegetable mixture. Toss to coat; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
-Bake at 500° for 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 94 (30% from fat); FAT 3.1g (satfat 0.4g, monofat 1.8g, polyfat 0.5g); PROTEIN 4.5g; CARBOHYDRATE 15.4g; FIBER 5.4g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 408mg; CALCIUM 63mg; . . . . . . . . . .

badunnin
10-05-2004, 08:26 PM
A classic...

ALOO GOBI

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetarian Indian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Cauliflower
4 Potatoes
1/4 c Oil
1 t Cumin seeds
Ginger, fresh, 1"
3 Garlic cloves
3/4 ts Turmeric
1 t Red Chili Powder
3 Tomatoes
1 t Garam Masala
2 ts Coriander powder

Cut cauliflower into flowerets. Cube potatoes. Heat
oil and saute cumin seeds for about a minute. Add
garlic and ginger, stir and add potatoes. Bhoona, add
turmeric and chili powder, and bhoona again. Add
tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add
cauliflower and high heat for about a minutes. Lower
heat, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Curry
should be damp-dry.

shumanata
10-05-2004, 08:36 PM
I had mashed cauliflower the other night and it was delicious...I think just steamed and mashed with a little butter and garlic, etc...

cminmd
10-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Vegetarian Night- Fresh from Hawaii Cookbook

A terrific and unexpected way to use cauliflower!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 small firm cauliflower (yeilds 2 1/4 cups) chopped coarsely. Steam 12 minutes and cool.

Filling Ingredients
1 7 oz can chopped green chiles
2 cups grated Monterey Jac/ Cheddar chees mix (to taste)
1/3 cup minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 cup sour cream
24 ripe diced olives
2 1/4 cup steamed cauliflower

12 tortillas
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce

Combine filling ingredients except olives. Coat bottom of pan with 1/3 of enchilada sauce. Brush inside of tortilla with sauce then fill with 1/4 cup of filling, shaping into log and rolling up. Place seam down in pan. Roll all enchiladas and pack tightly into baking pan. Cover enchiladas with remainder of sauce and diced olives. (these are not dripping with sauce like in a restaurant, but that allows for the unique flavor to shine through. Most important thing is to not chop the cauliflower too finely or the enchilada will be mushy. Also a great use of left over steamed cauliflower)
Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Serve immedialtely garnished with more sour cream or cheese if needed.

JulieM
10-05-2004, 10:44 PM
I saw a recipe where you creamed the cauliflower and poured it other other foods, like a sauce, and it looked wonderful. Maybe someone else has a recipe.

Little Bit
10-06-2004, 06:36 AM
badunnin,

What's 'Bhoona' ???

Aubergine
10-06-2004, 06:59 AM
this ain't exactly attitude, but you asked how to use a lot of it up.... one thing i do is cut a head up into large florets, steam it in the microwave w/ 2 Tbs. water for 5 minutes (exactly), and keep it on hand to encorporate into salads and sides over the week. i do the same thing with broccoli.

i'll post a more 'tudinal recipe later.

sherri
10-06-2004, 08:55 AM
I LOVE roasted cauliflower. I simply spray a pan with olive oil and roast the cauliflower (flavor with salt and pepper) until almost crispy...it brings out the sweetness of the vegetable. I wouldn't eat cauliflower any other way. Also, I have heard the South Beach "mashed potatos" are really good, I think it is mashed cauliflower?

cher48603
10-06-2004, 09:56 AM
We've been making roasted cauliflower on a regular basis. We like to snack on it. DH's favorite is to toss with some low-fat Italian salad dressing. I'm content with evoo, salt & pepper.

keg64
10-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by foodfiend
I'm so-so on cauliflower soup (a bit bland)

I LOVE and crave this soup:) :

Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Saffron
2 cups water
2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1/8 tsp coarsely crumbled saffron threads
3 T butter (I used Pam butter spray)
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 pounds cauliflower, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup half and half (I used fat free)
thinly sliced fresh chives for garnish (I had cilantro on hand and liked this option too!)

Bring water and broth just to a simmer in a medium saucepan; remove from heat and add saffron. Cover and steep 20 minutes.

Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until very soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add cauliflower, stir to coat. Add saffron broth. Bring to a simmer over high heat. reduce heat, cover, and simmer until cauliflower pieces are tender, about 20 minutes.

Puree soup in small batches until very smooth (or to your preference). Transfer puree to a large saucepan. Stir in half and half and bring to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives.

I also have recipes for Split Pea-Spinach Dal with Cauliflower and Curried Cauliflower (CL 9/03) if you're interested, but honestly prefer the soup recipe. Kim

JennyAnne
10-06-2004, 12:28 PM
My MIL has been making this soup for years. It's very comforting on a cold Chicago day. I have made it minus the olive oil (saute in cooking spray) and the final product is perfectly fine.

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

1 med onion, chopped
2 T olive oil
1 c chopped celery
1 carrot, shredded
1 tsp curry powder
1 large head cauliflower, cut in small florets
1 T minced fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
6 cups chicken broth
bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 1 tsp dried tarragon, 1/2 tsp peppercorns)
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
2 cups skim milk
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup low-fat or fat-free sour cream

1.Sauté onion, celery & onion in oil. Add curry powder & cook 5 minutes longer.

2.Add cauliflower & parsley. Cover & cook for 15 minutes. Add broth & bouquet garni, bring to boil & simmer.

3.Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan. Add flour to form a paste & cook 1 minute. Gradually add milk & whisk till smooth & thick. Puree ˝ of the veggies then add the milk mixture to soup, season with s&p. Simmer 15 minutes. Mix 1/3 c soup into the sour cream & add back to the soup. Reheat. (Remember to remove the bouquet garni!)

tbb113
10-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Loreli posted this on another thread. I plan on making it this week. The notes and comments are all hers.

This is an awesome (slightly adapted) recipe for cauliflower that originally came from the WholeFoods cookbook. It's great even without the peas... and it's a superb complete meal when you add 1 lb of chopped tofu to the cauliflower before roasting.

It's our favorite way to eat cauliflower

Crackling Cauliflower

1 each cauliflower -- florets
1 cup red onion -- diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 tablespoon garam masala
1/2 tablespoon fennel seed -- optional
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes -- crushed
2 teaspoons salt
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- grated
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest -- grated
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup cilantro -- chopped

Preheat oven to 400

Chop cauliflower into florets. Toss with oil. Combine spices (curry powder through pepper) and toss with cauliflower until all pieces are well-coated.

Place cauliflower in a baking dish (or on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet) and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes or so for even cooking. The cauliflower should be crisp-tender and golden brown when done.

Place in a serving bowl and stir in Peas and Cilantro

Serves 4.

Wendy w
10-06-2004, 02:19 PM
I remembered that I have been wanting to try this recipe posted a few years ago by Sandy. Three years have passed, and I *still* haven't gotten around to it. :rolleyes: Maybe someday.....sigh. Btw Sandy, if you are reading this, what have you served it with ?

CAULIFLOWER AND HORSERADISH GRATIN
There's horseradish in the cream sauce and, for good measure, some more in the buttery crumb crust.

3 1/2 pounds cauliflower, trimmed, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used 4)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups half and half
7 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Ground nutmeg
1 cup packed grated Fontina cheese (about 4 ounces)

1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups fresh French breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 375°F. Steam cauliflower until crisp-tender, about 9 minutes. Transfer to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir 2 minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in half and half. Cook until sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes. Mix in 5 tablespoons horseradish and vinegar. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour sauce over cauliflower and mix to coat. Sprinkle cheese over. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Mix in mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons horseradish. Add breadcrumbs; stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 9 minutes. Sprinkle over cauliflower.

Bake until cauliflower is heated through, about 25 minutes.

Serves 8 to 10.

Bon Appétit
April 1995

MY CHANGES:
I used 4 Tbsp. of butter - 3 in the sauce, and 1 in the bread crumb mix. There was wayyyyy to much bread crumb mix for our taste, so I cut that in half (only used 1 cup breadcrumbs but used the entire amount of mustard and horseradish). I omitted the nutmeg. I used fat free or low fat half and half.

This dish is great in that you can make it the night before and finish it in the oven the day you want to eat it. And the leftovers are awesome.

SandyM
10-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Oh yum, Wendy - I love this recipe. :D

I've served it with ham for Easter dinner, and I've also served it with the horseradish/garlic encrusted tenderloin. Worked very well in both cases, and the leftovers were wonderful.

ramson
10-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Warm cauliflower salad. Both my grandmothers made this when I was little and its still one of my favorite ways to eat cauliflower. No hard and fast recipe - just boil the head of cauliflower til tender and drain. Add thinly sliced red onion and drizzle with white vinegar and olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste. Its good cold as well, but really good when its warm.

I don't have the receipe and have never tried it, but my paternal grandmother used to make fried cauliflower (definately not lowcal!)by dredging par boiled cauliflower in an egg wash and then Italian breadcrumbs and deep frying. Yummers!

Ed
10-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Hi,

here is a very good baked Cauliflower dish to have along with a very good supper. I think you will like it.

Ed
http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Leo/

Cauliflower w/ Mushroon Sauce

Side Dish --
2 cups cauliflower florets, cooked
2 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 Tablespoon chopped scallions
2 teaspoons enriched flower
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 dash white pepper
1/2 cup skim milk
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
Cooking spray

Arrange Cauliflower in small non stick baking pan; (I use a sprayed glass pan) set aside.
Melt butter in small sauce pan;
add mushrooms and scallion and saute for 1 minute. Stir in flour, salt & pepper; cook, stirring continuously,
pour in milk and cook until slightly thickened.
Pour sauce over cauliflower and sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Bake at 450° approximately 10 to 15 minutes on until top is slightly browned.
serves 4

Per serving: 34 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (57% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 6mg Cholesterol; 110mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Canice
10-10-2004, 04:45 PM
I missed this thread first time around but an emergency search last night (suddenly realized I needed to use a head of cauliflower from the CSA) reminded me that I'd meant to make the one posted by shel when it first came out. It was simple but perfect for the varied fall dinner I'd put together. As it happens I also had a bunch of medium-small carrots that I wanted to use, so I trimmed them (leaving a bit of the green stem for aesthetics) and threw them in too. I highly recommend the combination of carrots and cauliflower in this; the flavors are very nice together and it looked so nice on the platter. FWIW

foodfiend
10-10-2004, 06:51 PM
What a coincidence -- I just made the cauliflower recipe posted by shel, too! It's delicious. I never realized how tasty roasted cauliflower (and onions) are. None of the tastes are overpowering. I always hate how onions overpower the other veggies, but they were very un-oniony here (does that make sense?) And the veggies weren't greasy or soggy. A definite repeater. I don't know if I'll steam cauliflower again!

Pony
11-21-2004, 09:31 PM
I wish I would have seen this post before I made the roasted cauliflower recipe. Canice, your suggestion of adding carrots would have made this even better (and it was very good already)..I even had carrots to use up, but didn't think about it.

DH said he only likes cauliflower smothered in cheese sauce :rolleyes: . He really hasn't enjoyed too many cauliflower recipes I have made (haven't made many), but we both really really enjoyed this simple vege dish. I think I had more than 4 cups of cauliflower and probably should have added more dijon mustard. I will make this again!

Michelle

patissac
11-22-2004, 07:20 AM
I second the recipe Shel posted, just go easy on the salt!

claire797
11-22-2004, 07:42 AM
This one is really good. If you want to give it a Thai flavor, you can substitute peanut butter for the orange juice concentrate.

Roasted Sesame Cauliflower

1/2 to 1 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate (or peanut butter)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger (or more)
1/4 red pepper flakes
1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with no-stick spray
2. Carefully slice cauliflower into quarter inch thick slices. Florets will fall off, lumpy slices are okay.
3. Put cauliflower in a big bowl
4. In a large, no-stick saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for about 2 minutes or until water evaporates and mixture looks thicker.
5. Pour thick sesame mixture over cauliflower and toss to coat.
6. Lay cauliflower on prepared pan and sprinkle with sesame seeds
7. Bake for about 25 minutes, stopping halfway to stir and turn a bit.

Pony
11-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Anna, that sounds really good too.

Thanks for posting.