PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird Muffins

phantomcg
10-06-2004, 10:34 AM
I have a co-worker who has been extremely helpful and supportive of me lately and I would love to make her some Hummingbird Muffins like the ones she buys at the local bread store. I've searched and found the recipes for Hummingbird Cake and I have a question. The recipes that I've seen all call for crushed pineapple, but the muffins that my co-worker gets have chunks of pineapple (and this is one of the things that she likes about them), so can I substitute chunked pineapple for the crushes without affecting the recipe?

Thanks!

Cheryl

funnybone
10-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Hmm, having recently baked the Hummingbird Cake and loving it, I love the idea of muffins. I'm not sure that you could sub the crushed for the chunks because the crushed serves as liquid for the cake in some ways. But, I could see making the recipe as is, and then adding the chunks of pineapple to the muffins - maybe dropping some in each muffin cup prior to baking, or adding them to the batter, but I am not sure how much you would add. These are my opinions of course. Maybe others can help too.

phantomcg
10-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by funnybone
I'm not sure that you could sub the crushed for the chunks because the crushed serves as liquid for the cake in some ways. But, I could see making the recipe as is, and then adding the chunks of pineapple to the muffins - maybe dropping some in each muffin cup prior to baking, or adding them to the batter, but I am not sure how much you would add. These are my opinions of course. Maybe others can help too.

What if I used an equivalent size of canned pineapple chunks? Would that contain the same amount of liquid as the crushed? I've never used crushed pineapple, so I'm not sure what the consistency of it is.

Thanks for your input!

Cheryl

funnybone
10-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by phantomcg

What if I used an equivalent size of canned pineapple chunks? Would that contain the same amount of liquid as the crushed? I've never used crushed pineapple, so I'm not sure what the consistecy of it is.

I guess you could try it. Never having really inspected the crushed pineapple (I open the can and pour it in the recipe) I would say it is more of the texture of applesauce that isn't totally pureed. A guess a way of comparing it would be to say the chuck pineapple is liquid with large pieces of pineapple, where the crushed would be like pulp in the liqiud, but on the thick side.

Thanks to your post, I am actually plan on making hummingbird muffins later on and freezing them. I was going to make the cake and freeze the layers to use another time, since I have ripe bananas on hand, but the muffins will work better for us. I don't need the icing to enjoy them.

phantomcg
10-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Well, maybe I'll try just adding some pineapple chunks to the batter and see what happens. If I get to them this weekend, I'll let you know the results.

Thanks,

Cheryl

funnybone
10-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Well, maybe I'll try just adding some pineapple chunks to the batter and see what happens. If I get to them this weekend, I'll let you know the results.

I opened up the can because I plan to use it later anyway. It's definitely thick, but the crushed pieces are not all the same size. Some definitely resemble pineapple, while others don't. There really isn't much liquid in the can - it's really all a moist puree mixture. You could take the chunks, and crush them to your liking with the liquid, to make up a cup (that's all there is in the can). The batter is thick for this recipe anyway.

Good Luck.

Little Bit
10-06-2004, 05:28 PM
I like pineapple on my pizza, so I use the crushed pineapple fairly regularly. I usually drain it before using it as a pizza topping, and then add the juice to the tomato sauce and cook it down, to get rid of the extra liquid.

I'd say maybe to try the tidbit size chunks of pineapple, and reserve the juice, so you can add some into the batter as needed to adjust the moisture level. (i.e., if your batter is too dry, add some pineapple juice.)

phantomcg
10-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Little Bit
I'd say maybe to try the tidbit size chunks of pineapple, and reserve the juice, so you can add some into the batter as needed to adjust the moisture level. (i.e., if your batter is too dry, add some pineapple juice.)

Tidbits!! I forgot about tidbits. I'll bet that's my answer and that's what I'll try. Thank you for posting this. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play around in the kitchen this weekend and, if I do, I'll be sure to let you all know how the muffins turn out.

Cheryl

:D

Char Finamore
10-06-2004, 08:20 PM
What is the recipe for the Hummingbird muffins? Anything with pineapple sounds good!

phantomcg
10-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Char, check out this thread. The recipe is actually for Hummingbird Cake, but I plan on making it into muffins without the icing for a co-worker of mine.

Hummingbird Cake Thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=54972&highlight=hummingbird+AND+cake)

Cheryl

funnybone
10-08-2004, 08:48 AM

Tidbits!! I forgot about tidbits.

So did I. :o

I made these the other day and they are delicious. I froze most of them as DH is out of town and I didn't need to eat 24 of them.

newcook
07-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Phantomcg and Funnybone, Can you tell us how you turned the cake recipe into the muffin recipe using the tidbits. Also how many muffins did you get and how long did you bake?

How did your coworker like them? They sound really delicious, I think I would like to try it.

Daniele

Lighthouselover
07-01-2005, 08:01 AM
I love using pineapple tidbits in baking. I use tidbits instead of the crushed when I make my Dump Cake. I also use the tidbits in making muffins, saving the juice in case extra liquids are needed. I find with some recipes calling for crushed it is too liquidy, so tidbits are the happy medium.

at828
07-01-2005, 09:19 AM
What are tidbits in this context?
TIA!