PDA

View Full Version : Substitute Acorn Squash for Butternut??

laughsandlaughs
10-13-2004, 02:18 PM
I was going to make this tonight but 2 grocery stores had no butternut squash?! so I bought an acorn squash instead. Is this an acceptable substitute? Any tips, since I've never cooked acorn squash before?

Thanks!
elizabeth

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallots

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dishes Vegetarian Main Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash -- (1-inch)
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 shallots -- peeled and halved
lengthwise (about 1/2 pound)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed
sage
4 ounces uncooked pappardelle (wide ribbon pasta)
or fettuccine
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese -- (1 ounce)

Directions
Preheat oven to 475.
Combine the squash, sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons oil, salt, pepper, and shallots in a jelly roll pan; toss well. Bake at 475 for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sage.
While the squash mixture bakes, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Place cooked pasta in a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons oil; toss well. Serve the squash mixture over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese.

Source:
"Cooking Light, October 2001"

NOTES : Servings/Serving Size: Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup pasta, 3/4 cup squash mixture, and 1 tablespoon cheese).

Nutrition Facts (per Serving):
248 calories; 39.4 g carbohydrates; 5 mg cholesterol; 7.9 g fat; 713 mg sodium; 7.1 g protein; 137 mg calcium; 1.4 mg iron; 5.2 g fiber

Use a sharp vegetable peeler to peel the butternut squash that's complemented by earthy sage and served over hot cooked pasta.

lorilei
10-13-2004, 02:22 PM
The acorn squash is not likely to be as sweet as the butternut -- and the flesh will be a bit less smooth and more "stringy". But I've substituted squashes before, and it's definitely no crime.

If you want it a bit sweeter, you can always add a pinch of brown sugar. And the consistency issue is no big deal in a rustic recipe like this one.

jtoepfert100
10-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. I was also looking at this recipe to use up some acorn squash I bought on sale a little bit ago. One reason I was looking at this recipe instead of a traditional acorn squash recipe is because (don't laugh) I don't understand how you eat the squash in those recipes. Meaning, most recipes call for just halving the squash, roasting and/or stuffing and then serving. I feel stupid but does this mean you serve the squash with the peel on and you just scoop it out, sort of like a baked sweet potato, or do you take the peel off before serving? I've never had acorn squash so please forgive my ignorance (and my semi-hijacking of this thread with my pathetic question).:o

lorilei
10-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by jtoepfert100
[...]most recipes call for just halving the squash, roasting and/or stuffing and then serving. I feel stupid but does this mean you serve the squash with the peel on and you just scoop it out, sort of like a baked sweet potato, or do you take the peel off before serving?

Yes - to the idea of serving the squash peel-on. :) When the squash is well baked, it comes right out of the peel. And a half of a squash can make a pretty presentation with the right accompaniments.

jtoepfert100
10-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks, lorilei. I do think it looks pretty that way, just wasn't sure how to eat it. I guess you just slip the peel off and put it to the side?

Meganator
10-13-2004, 03:49 PM
I guess you just slip the peel off and put it to the side?

It doesn't slip off quite that easily - you actually eat it out of the shell directly. Think of it like eating half a canteloupe. Cut a small piece of of each end before baking so it sits flat - that helps both in baking and while eating.

laughsandlaughs
10-14-2004, 08:39 AM
I made my dish with the acorn squash and it was delicious!! I added just a bit more brown sugar and it was perfect. The acorn squash is even more difficult to peel and cut than the butternut, so I microwaved it for 5 minutes first, and this allowed me to peel it easily. One tip, cut it into 1 inch wedges and then you can peel it.

YUMMY!!