PDA

View Full Version : The Bread Bible for $7.99!! What should I make first?

Diane A.
10-18-2004, 02:18 PM
While wandering around Border's this afternoon I came across The Bread Bible for $7.99. They had 4 copies on the bargain table for this price and 2 in the cookbook section for the regular price ($35.00). I bought one for myself and another to give as a gift.
I love to bake desserts but have not baked much bread. Could those of you who have the book make a suggestion as to what I should try first? Also, should I go get the other two copies at that price? (I have lots of foodie friends and family members). TIA
Diane

Beth
10-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Is this the Beth Hensperger one or Rose's? A great deal either way, but suggesting a recipe would be hard not being sure of the book.

Diane A.
10-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Oops, didn't realize there was more than one book with this title. I purchased Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Bread Bible. Thanks.
Diane

newcook
10-18-2004, 05:38 PM
I don't have the book, but I just wanted to congratulate you for your great find. I'm jealous! :D :D

Daniele

Beth
10-18-2004, 08:14 PM
I do have that one, but I got it over the summer and haven't really used it yet. I have several out of Beth Hensperger's that are repeaters for me. Everything I've tried, in fact.

This book has been discussed in the bread threads (which can get long) and I think in a couple of its own threads. You might do a little searching to see what you can find there.

Natasha
10-18-2004, 08:17 PM
What a great deal! Enjoy!! I don't recall ever getting a chance to make anything out of that book when I took it out of the library, but enjoyed reading it and picking up tips. I do recall a few recipes looking particularly good: a cheese bread and a cinnamon bread come to mind, but I don't believe I got around to trying them. If so, obviously I don't remember! ;)

Natasha

browneye
10-18-2004, 10:02 PM
I just ordered Hensberger's Bread Bible from the Used section on Amazon.

Can't wait to get mine - I am sure I'll be searching lots of threads for suggestions too.
:D

Diane A.
10-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did a brief search yesterday, and didn't find many specific recipes. I'll go back through some old bread threads and try searching again.
I've decided to start with the Cinnamon Raisin Loaf. I can make the sponge today and mix the dough tomorrow. Think I'll stick with a few loaf breads and flatbreads before I attempt the artisan breads.
Diane

Beth
10-19-2004, 10:47 AM
I think that Cinnamon Raisin Loaf has gotten good reviews. I don't remember anything from that book not getting good reviews, so i'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm hoping to get some time to do some baking next month. I think I may knead some therapy (preferably someone kneading my back and my KA kneading some wonderful dough). ;)

Little Bit
10-19-2004, 11:28 AM
I have and LOVE this book. Definitely return to buy up the bargain priced copies as gifts for your foodie friends. Well worth it for the 'make your own sourdough' recipe alone, but many others are great. (I got such a kick out of making my own sourdough starter (without using packaged yeast). As success experiences go, that one was great fun! I felt like something of a mad scientist run amok in the kitchen. ;) )

I've resolved not to copy out recipes from this book for the BB (or anyone else), since so many of the techniques used within recipes are actually explained elsewhere throughout the book. The techniques are key. Skip those, and you won't understand what you're doing. :)

Everytime I've baked something from this book, I've written a brief note inside the front cover, title, page #, date, results. I'll take a look later today and see which titles are my favorites.

Admittedly, the recipes have all turned out quite well, so none of them is a dud (which is why I LOVE RLB's work.), so if you just want to read the recipes, find something that can make use of ingredients you already have on hand, don't be timid about just going for it.

I've only made the Pecan Raisin bread once, and found it kind of bitter. I think my pecans may have been to blame for that one, though. The texture of the bread was flawless, though.

more later ...

Here I am again, with 'definite repeater' recipes:

Top three at our house, in no particular order:

Basic Soft White Loaf p. 244
Buttery Rolls p. 249
Cracked Wheat Loaf p. 289

Runners up, in no particular order:
Banana Feather Loaf p. 271 (very soft and light loaf, kinda cool.)
Heart of Wheat p. 310
Potato Sandwich Loaf p. 266
Basic Brioche p. 489