PDA

View Full Version : Attn: MISSINDI I have a ?

Terrytx
10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
I am in the process of doing the Tenderloin of Pork with Apple and Red Chile Chutney. I plan to have it tomorrow and have just finished the chutney. Soooo... I got down to the actually cooking directions, just to see if I was missing anything, and low and behold it says "Place pork in marinade and refrigerate. Remove pork and bring to room temperature. (okay-so far). (here is comes) Combine apple cider, brown sugar and chile powder":eek: What apple cider, brown sugar and chile powder????? It is supposed to be used as a basting sauce while the meat cooks.

Terrytx
10-18-2004, 04:22 PM
bump

Terrytx
10-19-2004, 09:15 AM
bump bump

MISSINDI
10-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Sorry Terry - didn't see the post 'till now. Below is the recipe from his site. I put blank lines in the proper sections. There does seem to be a step or separated ingredients missing. The recipe from from www.coyotecafe.com - did you end up winging it? If so, what did you do?

Tenderloin of Pork
With Apple and Red Chile Chutney

Using New Mexican apples and pine nuts makes this a delicious Southwestern dish. The pork should be marinated for 24 hours and the chutney is best prepared the day before serving.
Yield: 4 servings

Apple and Red Chile Chutney
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
4 fresh red chiles (or rehydrated dried chiles), diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
1/2 cup roasted pin nuts (optional)

Pork Marinade
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon crushed bay leaf
1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
1 teaspoon roasted ground Mexican Oregano
3 tablespoons chile caribe
4 allspice berries
4 cloves
1 stick cinnamon
6 cups water

To prepare the chutney, place apples and chiles in a heavy stainless-steel saucepan with sugar, vinegar, garlic, and water. Cook until apples are tender. Stir in marjoram and add pine nuts. Allow to cool and refrigerate.

Place pork in marinade and refrigerate. Remove pork and bring to room temperature. Combine apple cider, brown sugar, and chile powder. Grill meat over a hot fire for 7 to 10 minutes, or broil until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees. Baste with a litte apple cider mixture as meat cooks. Serve pork with chutney, and Tamale de Elote with Green Chile Sauce, if desired.
(see pages 61 and 26 Coyote Caf Cookbook)

Enjoy,

Mark Miller

Terrytx
10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks, I went to the web site and the picture of the dish shows the pork stuffed with the chutney (which is not included in the written instructions). There is no mention of ingredients for the glaze. Well, anyway, here's what I did. I used a tenderloin that was about 1 1/2 pounds and marinated it 24 hours, but I felt 6 cups of water was overkill, so I used all the other marinade ingredients, but only 2 or 3 cups water (can't remember now:( ). Then just grilled it naked. Made the chutney as written the day before and served it on the side.

The pork was extremely tender, juicy and flavorful, although maybe a little too sweet, but no one complained. As a matter of fact, they all raved over the pork (not a morsel left). We all ate the chutney, but it wasn't a favorite. I can't put my finger on it, but the flavor was a little off to us. It made a massive amount of chutney for the amount of pork we had. I will keep the pork part of this recipe in mind for the extremely good texture of finished dish.

MISSINDI
10-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear that it worked out well (the pork part anyway) in the end. DH loves pork, so it's been on my list to make.

I made Apple Chutney from the chutney thread last night ... one of the things I'm bringing to Supper Club tonight. It tastes AMAZING. Have you tried it?

Posted by Golden1225
Crostini with Roasted Garlic, Goat Cheese and Apple Chutney
This recipe is from the RSVP column in the October 1999 issue of BA. We absolutely can't get enough of it!! The whole combination is so spectacular I thought I'd post the entire recipe instead of just the chutney. Hope you try it!!

CROSTINI WITH ROASTED GARLIC, GOAT CHEESE AND APPLE CHUTNEY
Note: At the restaurant, the bread is grilled, but its just as good when its baked.

1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
3/4 cup rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into -inch pieces (about 4 cups)
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup diced seeded plum tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint

1 French-bread baguette, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
Olive oil
Roasted Garlic
12 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), room temperature
Stir sugar and vinegar in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add next 4 ingredients and simmer until mixture is syrupy and reduced to 1/2 cup, about 8 minutes. Mix in apples and raisins. Increase heat to high and boil until apples are tender, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. (Chutney can be made 3 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.) Mix in tomatoes and mint.

Preheat oven to 450F. Arrange baguette slices on baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Spread each toast with roasted garlic; top with goat cheese and chutney.

Terrytx
10-20-2004, 10:26 AM
That one looks better than the one I made, maybe it's the cinnamon:D