PDA

View Full Version : Ground Turkey Recipe/Question

Sandy777
10-22-2004, 09:17 AM
I need to get some recipes to make things with ground turkey...low in fat obviously LOL
I am trying to only have red meat once a week and I love ground turkey so if anyone has any recipes or ideas please feel free to let me know.
Thanks as usual
Sandy

jtoepfert100
10-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Best ground turkey recipe I've had so far:

BBQ Turkey Smokey Joes
(Rival's "The New Creative CrockPot")

3 lbs. ground turkey
1 onion finely chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 - 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
1 Tbsp. Worcerstershire sauce
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

10 onion sandwich rolls, split and toasted

Brown the turkey in a skillet and drain the fat. Place in the crockpot slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients. Stir thoroughly. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (or on High for 3 to 4 hours). To serve, spoon turkey and sauce over the rolls.

Makes ten servings.

Here's a link to the thread in case you want to read reviews: BBQ Turkey Smokey Joes (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53876&highlight=turkey+AND+joes)

sarah louise
10-22-2004, 09:41 AM
What about Bobmark's BBQ Turkey Smokey Joes? (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53876&highlight=turkey+joes)
They got great reviews. Since it makes a lot I froze the rest in packages and enjoyed it again weeks later. -sarah

(editing to say--I guess I'm not the only one that liked them!)

Sandy777
10-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Gosh those sound good

Chefzhat
10-22-2004, 10:32 AM
If you have a white chili recipe, you can sub ground turkey. I'll have to keep thinking about other ideas.

Canice
10-22-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm sure you'll find lots of good recipes here (http://community.cookinglight.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=581210&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

wallycat
10-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Suggestion: although the search engine here stinks, I'd recommend typing in "turkey" and then click on "title only."
This will include some whole turkey/breast type recipes, but also lots and lots of wonderful ground turkey recipes.

THere is a SUPER easy turkey gyro posted here that is beyond easy and very good.

THere's also several turkey meatloaf recipes ...I think Val posted the one I love. It is even better the next day as sandwiches :)

manetta
10-22-2004, 10:55 AM
I can't wait to try those Sloppy Joes! We haven't eaten beef in our house for years and I have successfuly used ground turkey for ground beef in most recipes. One of our favorites is CL's Piccadillo.

honeygirl1971
10-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by manetta
I can't wait to try those Sloppy Joes! We haven't eaten beef in our house for years and I have successfuly used ground turkey for ground beef in most recipes. One of our favorites is CL's Piccadillo.

Me too. I sub ground turkey for ground beef all the time, also for ground veal or ground pork. The flavor is not exactly the same, but in a sauce for pasta or that sort of thing I really don't notice a big difference. Those smokey joes sound great!!

NewMrsG
10-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by wallycat
THere is a SUPER easy turkey gyro posted here that is beyond easy and very good.

Just wanted to second this one - we made them a couple of weeks ago and they were terrific - plus about as easy as a recipe can get.

I think they're called "Angela's Turkey Gyros" - probably posted by Angela!

Ann Sanders
10-22-2004, 02:38 PM
I have a recipe for Burrito Bake. Wonderful! you could lighten it up, but basically it calls for 12oz. ground turkey with 6 oz. pork sausage, slasa, black olives cheese, refired beans etc. Will post it if you want. It is cooked in the MW. I usually pop it in the oven.

Wendy w
10-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Both the turkey gyros and the smokey joe's are definite winners. :)

Canice
10-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Ann, I'd love to see the burrito bake recipe!

Shan19
10-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Our favorite burgers are the turkey burgers from the CL Complete cookbook. They are one of our regularly repeated recipes.