PDA

View Full Version : Iso:

Molli526
11-02-2004, 07:19 AM
I was lurking on the Baker's Circle at KA and someone mentioned a cookie/bar that was a shortbread bottom and then a brownie layer and caramel on top. I searched KA but couldn't find it. Then when I was at the airport a week ago Sunday, the Starbucks there had a bar just like it, and while it was good, I know homemade would be better. I looked at the Starbuck's website and they don't have the name of the bar listed, none sound familiar, and I don't remember.

Please help me find this recipe :)

sneezles
11-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Sounds absolutely wonderful!!! You could just do a layer of shortbread in a 11X17 or 9X13 and bake for 20 minutes (350º) and then add the layer of brownies, baked according to the recipe you use, then drizzle caramel over the top...

sneezles
11-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Found this one from Chocolatier and while it has a pecan caramel in the middle I thought it might be a go-by! ;)

Chocolate Pecan Caramel Shortbread
Chocolatier December 1994

Shortbread crust:
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pecan filling:
8 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup pecan halves
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Chocolate topping:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Garnish:
1 ounce white chocolate, coarsely chopped
8 pecan halves

Make the shortbread crust:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
2. Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
3. In a medium bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix at low speed until combined. While continuing to mix at low speed, add the flour mixture in three batches, mixing just until the dough starts to come together.
4. Scrape the dough into a 9 1/2-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Using your fingertips, press the dough evenly into the bottom and
up the side of the pan. Set the crust aside.

Make the pecan filling:
5. In a small saucepan, place the butter, honey, sugar and brown sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil the mixture for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pecan halves. Stir in the cream. Pour the pecan mixture into the prepared crust and bake for 30 minutes. Cool the tart on a wire rack for
1 hour.

Make the chocolate topping:
6. In a small saucepan, combine the cream and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Set aside 1/3 cup of the topping in the refrigerator for garnish.

Garnish the shortbread:
7. Pour the warm chocolate topping over the top of the tart and spread it evenly with a small metal cake spatula.
8.Place the tart uncovered in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set the chocolate.
9. Place coarsely chopped white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water. Melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth. (Chocolate that has been overheated may scorch, lose flavor and turn coarse and grainy. Stir melting chocolate after it has begun to liquefy. Because of the sensitivity of milk solids to heat, milk and white chocolates should be stirred almost constantly while dark chocolate need only be stirred frequently during melting.) Fill a small parchment cone with the melted chocolate. Pipe the chocolate in fine lines across the top of the tart in a crisscross pattern.
10. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip (such as Ateco #5) with the reserved chocolate topping. Pipe 8 rosettes around the edge of the tart. Top each rosette with a pecan half.

Molli526
11-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks Sneezles, that is a good start. Thankfully, I am off this week to play in the kitchen :)

lonetree1353
11-02-2004, 09:12 AM
I found this one on the internet. It looks very simple to do. It uses Eagle Brand condensed milk in the caramel part.

Chocolate Caramel Shortbread

1 cup of butter
1/2 cup of icing sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1-1/4 cups of all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Beat butter, sugar and salt until fluffy, add flour; mix well press evenly into greased 9" square pan. Bake @ 350 degrees 30 min. or until lightly brown

Topping

1/2 cup butter
1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand® condensed milk
3 tbl. corn sugar
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

In microwave melt butter and stir in Eagle Brand milk and corn sugar. Cook on high 6 to 8 min. stirring occasionally until mixture turns a light caramel color. Pour over base and drizzle with 3 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate. Cool and cut into 20 bars

valchemist
11-02-2004, 12:01 PM
I have made this recipe from allrecipes.com. it was very good. as I recall, I liked the shortbread/brownie texture combo, but the chocolatey-ness of the brownies sort of overpowered the taste of the shortbread.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gooey Brownies with Shortbread Crust

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter -- softened

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can sweetened condensed milk -- (14 ounce)
1 bar milk chocolate -- (7 ounce) chopped

1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup of all-purpose flour and sugar. Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly. Press firmly into the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking pan.
2 Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm and slightly golden. Set aside to cool.
3 In a medium bowl, mix together 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Make a well in the center, and add the egg, vanilla, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until well blended. Stir in the chopped chocolate and walnuts. Spread the mixture over the cooled crust.
4 Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies begin to pull away from the edges, and the top appears dry. Cool, and cut into squares. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

Makes 12 servings

Source:
"allrecipes.com"

NOTES : "Yummy gooey brownies, with chunks of melted milk chocolate! Great with a big glass of milk!"

I used 3 oz of chopped semisweet chocolate and that was good. wouldn't use the milk chocolate since the brownies are very sweet. I didn't let the crust cool before pouring the batter on top. these are very good. fudgy, not cakey. almost truffle like. no crumb to them at all. (maybe because I underbaked them slightly or maybe that is just how they are.) I liked having the shortbread crust there for contrast.

valchemist
11-02-2004, 12:02 PM
I have also made these, which were posted by kuvy.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bookends Cafe Caramel Bars

Recipe By :posted by kuvy
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For crust and topping:
2 pounds flour -- (about 6 cups)
12 ounces sugar -- (about 1 3/4 cups)
2 1/2 c butter
For the filling:
2 c butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
2 cups sweetened condensed milk
2 pounds brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips

To make the crust and topping: cut butter into the dry ingredients in a mixer, stopping once the ingredients develop a cornmeal-like texture. Reserve four cups of the mixture for topping. Press the remaining mix into the bottom of a greased, 12 x 18” pan. Bake at 300 til golden*.

Bring butter, corn syrup, milk and brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan, whisking constantly. Whisk at lava boiling stage for 5 minutes. Pour over baked crust. Sprinkle remaining topping and chocolate chips on top. Bake at 300 until the filling in the middle of the pan is bubbling and goldn brown - 35-40 min. Place another pan on lower rack to catch any drippings. Cool before cutting.

Kuvy notes:
I halved the recipe and used a 9x13” pan.
I used fat-free sweetened, condensed milk
* “Golden” took ages -30 min? Ended up boosting temp to 350 for last 10 minutes.
Second bake only took 25 minutes.

NOTES :

my notes: I quartered the recipe and did it in an 8x8 and that worked well. I think it would just be best to leave the chips off. they just sit there on the top of the crumb topping and seem strange. these would be delicious without that little bit of chocolate. the caramel was excellent! and it went well with the base. the crumb topping was a little "sandy" so it is good to try to clump it together before sprinkling. if you do it in an 8x8 you can get away with saving 1 1/2 cups for the topping easily. I baked this at 350 for all parts. The crust took 20 minutes and the second bake took 25.

Alaina76
11-04-2004, 08:43 AM
I made Shortbread Caramel Brownie Bars (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42006&highlight=shortbread+caramel) posted by KValley and they were soooo yummy!