PDA

View Full Version : Does any canned salmon come without skin &bones?

Beth Y
11-08-2004, 06:26 PM
I recently opened a can of salmon to make salmon cakes (my kids love tuna cakes.... thought I would try salmon) and it was really gross. It had bones and skins and fat....yuck. I threw it out! And it was some fancy "Wildcatch" brand from Whole Foods that wasn't cheap. I did a search on canned salmon in this forum and found another post where someone was talking about making something with canned salmon and she said "leave in the bones and skin". So, I wondered......can you buy canned salmon without skin and bones in the can? I tried to pick out the bones and stuff in the can I bought and there wasn't much left.

Thoughts?
TIA!

pschambers
11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Chicken of the Sea makes a pink salmon in a pouch that is boneless and skinless. It is very good and we use it all the time.

I tried to paste a picture of the package, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. It is on this web page:

http://www.chickenofthesea.com/product_line_list.aspx?FID=2

Patti

Shan19
11-08-2004, 06:50 PM
I have bought canned salmon that doesn't have skin or bones in the can. It comes in a much smaller can- the size of a tuna can I think. I bought mine at Trader Joes, but I am pretty sure I have seen them at the regular grocery store too. I bought the big can w/skin and bones not too long ago to make salmon cakes- ICK!

Veronica
11-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I bought canned salmon for the first time less than 2 months ago and was fortunate to have had terrific luck on my first purchase. (I just haven't bought it since, so I can't verify my initial findings.) I got Bumble Bee Alaska Sockeye Salmon and was pleasantly surprised to find (practically) a fillet+ stuffed into the can. I didn't find any skin or bones, and the taste was very good. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

SueK
11-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Veronica- I'm bummed because I get Bumble Bee and it's loaded with skin and bones. :( I love the EW salmon cakes but it's a bit of a pain making them due to picking out all the salmon bones. That is strange that yours is okay. I think I'm going to check out the Chicken of the Sea next time I'm at the store.

(I'm picturing Jessica Simpson saying "What is this that I'm eating? Is it salmon or chicken?" :D ;) )

Terri-Lynn
11-08-2004, 09:42 PM
My mom bought some Kirkland brand salmon in Costco while she was in the states and it was so nice and clean with no skin and bones.

Terri

dsignpeach
11-09-2004, 06:19 AM
Ya'll are funny! Maybe it comes from being raised in the south and watching my grandmother make salmon patties. But, you dump the salmon in a bowl and mash everything up with a fork. You can remove the skin prior or mash it up with the bones. The bones are soft and completely edible, you really won't be able to tell it in the final result. That's one reason why they are so high in calcium... While I'm on this kick, might as well tell you how my grandmother made her salmon patties. This is a comfort food for me... After you mash the salmon up, add an egg, salt and pepper and cornmeal. You don't measure, just until it will form a good pattie, then fry. Eat it in a biscuit. Deevine.

sharris315
11-09-2004, 06:27 AM
My mom used the same "recipe" as yours, d-peach, except she used crushed saltine crackers instead of cornmeal. I always loved her salmon cakes...

You are absolutely right about the bones--great calcium, and crush to oblivion so are totally undetectable in the finished product!

Shar

mcb_2004
11-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Too funny! My mom also made and still makes salmon cakes using the bones and all. She would sometimes flake thru it and remove the backbone, but we'd just mash up the rest. Ditto on the saltine crackers Shar. One of my fondest memories was crushing the crackers with my mom's rolling pin.

My dad said he used to eat it right out of the can on crackers when he was little. :o)

Michelle

Veronica
11-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by SueK
Veronica- I'm bummed because I get Bumble Bee and it's loaded with skin and bones. :( I love the EW salmon cakes but it's a bit of a pain making them due to picking out all the salmon bones. That is strange that yours is okay. I think I'm going to check out the Chicken of the Sea next time I'm at the store. (I'm picturing Jessica Simpson saying "What is this that I'm eating? Is it salmon or chicken?" :D ;) ) Ha! Now you have me wondering. I don't think I ran into any skins or bones. It was a couple of months ago. . . . (I guess I'm having a Jessica Simpson moment! :eek: ) What I remember most is getting a fillet in a can, which I was surprised about, and it tasted very good. I noticed that Bumble Bee sells "skinless and boneless pink salmon," which would imply their other canned salmons might have skin and bones. Hmmm. Did you try this one? It might be worth a shot if the Chicken of the Sea doesn't work out. :)

VegasDramaQueen
11-09-2004, 09:54 AM
I am in total agreement with dsignpeach. I wouldn't think of buying canned salmon without the bones. The bones will pulverize when you mix the salmon with other ingredients. I usually remove the skin but never, never the bones. They contain more calcium than you can imagine so do yourselves a favor awnd leave the bones in. If you press on the bones with your thumb and finger you'll see that it breaks down completely. I buy red sockeye salmon and I have a terrific recipe for salmon patties and sauce if anyone is interested..

dsignpeach
11-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Glad to see there are other bone eaters out there! :)

My favored brand is Double Q.

golden1225
11-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Yep, yep -count this southerner in as another who always just mashes up the bones with a fork and keeps on going. My mom always did this with her croquettes and we never knew there were bones in there.
:)

BetsyS
11-09-2004, 03:50 PM
I mash up the bones in my croquettes, too. You never even know that they are there.

lorilei
11-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Another bone eater/masher here.

I used to pick them out, but then thought better of it. Might as well get the extra calcium... especially since they are virtually undetectable in the finished product.