PDA

View Full Version : having a big groups for thanksgiving, need advice

loridori
11-14-2004, 04:00 PM
hi, i live israel, and over the years my extended family of israelis have come to love the thanksgiving turkey and some of the trimmings. Our group is almost is about 17 or so. Last year i made one big turkey, about 12 lbs (5.5 - 6 kilo) and there was just enough.
I am thinking this year of making two. If so, can I roast one turkey in the morning, and the other right afterwards, and then heat the first one up? Would it dried out? Or should I roast one turkey at a neighbors's house? (but then i have to invite them - five big eaters, help?) any suggestions?
thanks and happy thanksgiving to you all
laura

Aubergine
11-14-2004, 04:13 PM
hi lori! i love how international this MB is.:D over the years my Jewish family (through marriage) and friends have always stressed how meaningful Thanksgiving is for them. i'm guessing you have a small-ish oven, can't accomodate the both turkeys at once? i don't know your access to turkeys, but the larger the bird, the less the waste. in other words, if you have a large group to feed, you will have more meat from one 13-14 lb. turkey than from two seven-pounders, because of the bones and the cavity, which don't increase in equal proportion as the turkey grows. otoh, many people prefer to roast two smaller birds because of the preferences for white meat and also the drumsticks.

i know others here will have more advice & info to add.

Lrimerman
11-14-2004, 04:59 PM
I usually have to cook two turkeys so that there is enough for Thanksgiving and leftovers for us and my parents, sister, etc.

I have not had a problem roasting one the day before and carving it and then reheating it the next day in a roasting pan. I sometimes pour some chicken broth over it before reheating to keep it from drying out.

Also, one year we brined one turkey and cooked that one ahead, it was very moist and had no issues being reheated the next day. Could hardly tell the precooked one from the one cooked that day.

Lisa

Kathy B
11-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Lrimerman
I have not had a problem roasting one the day before and carving it and then reheating it the next day in a roasting pan. I sometimes pour some chicken broth over it before reheating to keep it from drying out.

I was going to suggest the same thing. My sister did this a few years ago for the family Christmas get-together, and it worked out great. (She actually just made ONE turkey, but she did it the day before so there would be less to do that day). It reheated just fine, and tasted delicious.

Chocolate Rose
11-14-2004, 08:39 PM
I just wanted to second Aubergine's recommendation of getting a bigger turkey if at all possible. I still remember one year dh and I wanted to cook a turkey and since we were just doing it for the 2 of us, we got a smaller one. It was probably around 14 pounds. There was hardly any meat on it compared to the bone mass. We decided from then on that we would only buy BIG turkeys.:D For Thanksgiving and Christams, I always get one over 20 pounds and as close to about 24 pounds as I can. We usually have around 23 people and it works out great and even gives us a little bit of leftovers.

SusanMac
11-15-2004, 09:48 AM
I've been thinking of getting 2 turkey breasts, instead of 1 turkey. There will be 7 of us, and no one really likes dark meat much. A little nervous about having to manage 2 birds. I typically brine. Anyone ever done this? Any recommendations? Would you go for 2 breats, or a whole bird??