PDA

View Full Version : What do your kids call their grandparents?

RebeccaT
11-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Just wondering! :D

LaraW
11-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Well, my DD is too young to talk, but both my mother and my MIL refer to themselves as "grandma" so I assume that's what she will call them.

I called both of my grandmothers "Grandma" but my dad's mother calls herself "Grammy". I refer to her as "Great-Grammy" when I talk about her to DD.

jphilg
11-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Heh. We are looking at this very issue: we told both sets of GParents-to-be that they could pick their own names. One set has gotten back to us: Papa and Mimi. No word yet from the other set.

My favorite gparent name is my childhood best friend's mom: her name is Andi, and her grandkids call her Grandi!

tbb113
11-16-2004, 03:11 PM
They call my mother and step-father, grandma and grandpa (my mother wanted grammie but I personally disliked it so I won out). They call my father Grandpa Harvey (my parents live locally, he lives in Chicago). When he is in town, they just call him grandpa. I have no idea what they call their father's parents. I don't think they ever speak to them, so its a moot point :rolleyes:

Pony
11-16-2004, 03:12 PM
No kids here ;) ,but sometimes I count Carl as a kid ;) . Carl and his sister calls their grandparents, "more parents", "more momma" and "more daddy". Even to this day, that is what we call them. It is adorable hearing his "more parents" leave a message on the VM saying "It's the More Momma calling". :D

cminmd
11-16-2004, 03:13 PM
My parents are Nana Pat and Big Bad Bill, my husbands parents are Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Ciro.

Molli526
11-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Grandpa Rich & Grandma Ruthie
Grandma Teresa
Grandpa Ray & Grandma Pam

Real exciting here

RebeccaT
11-16-2004, 03:27 PM
These are great! Keep 'em coming!

I ask because my dad is already excited about what Turner-to-Be will call him. Poor guy - he's the last of the grandparents to actually BECOME a grandparent, since DH's parents and my mom and step-dad already have some. So far, DH's parents are Granddiddy and Mi-mi, and my mom and her husband are Ci-ci and Pop. My dad is currently tossing around "H.G." for "Honorable Grandfather," :rolleyes: :D but I told him that, coming out of the mouth of an 18-month-old, it would end up sounding more like "Itchy." :eek: So I am trying to give him more ideas.

HeatherTx
11-16-2004, 03:29 PM
We have a PawPaw and Grandma, Grandpa John and Grandma John, and a Grandpa and Mimi.

KristinK
11-16-2004, 03:32 PM
No kids for us yet (congrats to you, Rebecca!), but FIL might become Bompa, a name that started as a joke between us.

My grandfathers were both Pop-Pop, which is pretty common in our area. One grandmother is Nonnie, and the other was Mimi. (Jen, I like their choice!)

clairea
11-16-2004, 03:39 PM
DH's parents were already Mimi and Poppy when DS was born, so we stuck with that. My mother agonized until he could speak about what she wanted to be called:rolleyes: and finally settled on Grandma and Grandpa, but it came out sounding more like Nana and Pop so that is what we used.

Claire

leightx
11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Neil's parents - Grandma Sue and Grandaddy Fred (since that's what the other 8 grandkids already call them! :D )

my parents - Grandmommy and Granddaddy Bo (since that's what the dogs already called them! :p )

jphilg
11-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Wow! I had no idea how many Mimi grandmothers there were! I had never heard of that as a grandmother honorific...the only "Mimis" I know use it as a nickname for Miriam/Marian.

Peggy
11-16-2004, 04:03 PM
My DD calls my mom "Grammy" and my Dad "Grandpa". She calls DH's Mom "Mimi". I was thrilled when my MIL requested DD call her "Mimi" because that is what I used to call my grandmother. It just felt right!:)

Peggy

Peggy
11-16-2004, 04:05 PM
P.S. Just to add a post script... My sister's children call my dad "Pop-pop". Not sure where they got that, but wanted to give you other grandfather ideas.

Peggy

badunnin
11-16-2004, 04:06 PM
The little ones in my family refer to their grandparents as Papa and Gaga. In my generation, it was/is Grandma Terry and Grandpa Elmer, Grandma Irene and Grandpa George. My Grandpa George's second wife was just Wanita. My great-grandmothers were Busha and Gram.

Jazzmatazz49
11-16-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm MeMe and my husband is Granddaddy. My own kids said Pappaw and Granny, and Granddaddy and Nanny for the other set.

sharris315
11-16-2004, 04:16 PM
MeMa and Grandy

aprilbride
11-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Since my parents are going to be first time Grandparents in April, I've been thinking about this...Since I'm from Germany and my parents live there, I think they'll be Oma and Opa. I call my Grandma Oma, so I'm going to have to come up with something different..Ur-Oma would be the proper German word, but...

DH's parents..I don't know. His mom probably Grandma, the man married to his mother, probably his first name. His dad probably Grandpa (allthough I should ask, since they live in England, maybe there's something else he'd prefer)or Baski, that's what DH called his Grandfather (comes from our last name, Baskerville) his significant other her first name...

Decisions, decisions...

mbrogier
11-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I called my mom's parents Mama ____ and Daddy____. They used to babysit neighborhood kids, so that was what the kids called them. The oldest grandkids continued that. I was the 6th grandchild, so I just continued it.

My dad's parents were Granny and PaPa.

My mom picked Granny for my niece. My nickname is Mimi, so that was out. I'm called Aunt Mimi (my real name is a killer for kids to pronounce, so it comes out Mimi anyways.) I don't remember what my niece calls my dad. Usually she just giggles.

My husband and his siblings called all of their grandparents Grandma and Grandpa. My SIL and I can tell which Grandma they are talking about by how they pronounce it. One was Grand-MA and one was Grand-MAW. They denied this with every breath, but we could always tell them which one they were talking about, so they figured we were right.

KristaMB
11-16-2004, 04:44 PM
My MIL is Grandma Julie.

My parents are Papa and Mamu, pronounced Ma-moo. When DS was first learning to talk we lived with my parents for a bit, and DS would babble, mama, mamu, mommy, so my mom became Mamu.

Growing up, my paternal grandparents were Poppy and Granny, and that is what my DS now calls them. All the adult grandkids now call them Pa and Gran.

Just Char
11-16-2004, 04:55 PM
My kids always called both sets of Grandparents "Grandma" and "Grandpa", so we were always clarifying _"Which one?""
I think it is easier if they have different names. Growing up, we had Grandma and Graddy. Graddy came from us being able to say "Daddy", but not Grandma. It stuck though, and she was always Graddy. She loved her unique name and was very proud to wear the title. In my DH's family, they had "up" Grandma and
"down" Grandma - based solely on geography!

SueK
11-16-2004, 05:46 PM
The grandmothers are Grandma Margie and Grandma Ethel. My FIL is called Pap and we called my dad Papa.

MusicMom
11-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Our moms are Grandma and Grammy to our kids. My dad was Grandpa. They didn't have a name for FIL because they never met him.

We called my maternal grandfather Pop-pop. I thought it was because my mom and her brothers called him Pop.

DH and siblings called their grandparents Baba and Guido - maybe from their Ukrainian roots.

Mlasley
11-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Nana and Poppa. We kept referring to my dad as "Grandpa Mel" and one day DD just pointed to a picture of him and said, "Poppa" and it stuck.

little_bopeep
11-16-2004, 06:18 PM
My mom is Granma and DH's parents are G-Ma and G-Pa.

karen w
11-16-2004, 06:23 PM
My inlaws are Nana and Poppa.
My folks are Bubbe and Zayda(that's Grandma and Grandpa in Yiddush, but I'm not sure if I spelled the English translation corrrectly).

Karen

Vanessa
11-16-2004, 06:58 PM
no kids but my brother's kids call our parents abu (short for abuela which is grandma)and abu-daddy (short for abuelo)

crlykat
11-16-2004, 07:02 PM
I don't have kids, but we always called my grandma Nanny growing up. I never really understood that, so when I got older I started calling her Grandma. She's the only "grandperson" I ever knew and I sure wanted to call someone Grandma and not Nanny.

BetsyS
11-16-2004, 07:10 PM
I was lucky enough to grow up with three sets of grandparents (2 "regular", 1 very young great set). They were Mimi and Papa (Pa-puh), Nana (pronouced Na-naw) and Granddaddy, and Mamama and Pappa (Pa-pah).

My stepsister calls all of her grandfathers Papa ______ (their first name). My brother and I tease her mercilessly, because we just find it odd that everyone doesn't have a separate name. LOL

Jen
11-16-2004, 07:13 PM
My mom and dad are Grandma and Grandpa; DH's parents are Lola and Lolo - Tagalog (Filipino) versions. It's nice for them each to have their own "name", I think. My grandma, who is my only surviving grandparent, is Gigi (i.e., GG for Great Grandma). She has a bit of an age complex and didn't want Great Grandma or Grand Nana (DB and I call her Nana).

I expect my parents' names may change...my paternal grandparents were always Dammie and Pa, since that's just what we could say as kids. I think they liked having something a bit unique.

lindrusso
11-16-2004, 07:17 PM
My oldest named our parents when he was very little - they are Memom and Bebop. He was so cute - we'd say "no, it's Grandpa", drawing it out so he could hear all the sounds. Then he'd get serious and say "BEEEEEEBOOOOOP" - drawing out the sounds just as we did. :D :)

I figure it's inevitable that they will find these names embarassing some day and start using Grandma and Grandpa, but it will be a sad day.... ;)

Alysha :)

muriel3002
11-16-2004, 08:26 PM
My kids call their Italian grandparents Nonno and Nonna.

They call their "English" grandparents Grandma or Grandpa.

Blissful_in_TX
11-16-2004, 08:47 PM
DS only has one grandparent and she is Nana...unless he comes up with his own name when he learns to talk :)

HRJ
11-16-2004, 08:52 PM
First, congrats Rebecca!! :)

We started out referring to my mother and MIL as Grandma Ann and Grandma Louise, but Victor had his own ideas.

He refers to my mother as "Baa," "Baa-Baa" or, sometimes recently, "Baa Ann." (Not sure where he got this from -- maybe from abuela, which was the Spanish word he was familiar with.)

He calls MIL "Baa Luis" -- his middle name is Luis, and I don't think he can quite distinguish between "Luis" and "Louise."

I called my paternal grandparents Grandma and Poppa; I called my maternal grandfather Zayde (Yiddish for grandfather) or Ta-te (Yiddish for father -- not sure how to best spell it in English).

Helene

Gail
11-16-2004, 09:06 PM
I called my grandparents Nana and Gramps.

My sister's son called my parents Nonnie and Ampa.

My son called them Nonnie and Pa.

This reminds me of a story. When my sister gave birth, a friend of my dad's asked how the child would refer to him: Grandfather, Grandpa, Grandpop, etc. My dad thought a moment and said, "A simple "Your Honor" would be fine." :p (My dad was a judge.)

lhall
11-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Rebecca,
LOL! I love the "itchy" comment! :D

MIL/FIL are Grammie & Gramps. My dad is Grandpa. We refer to my mom as Grammie Ginger. My grandmother is Meme, and my grandfather was Dede. DD2 called Gramps "GrammieGramps" for a long time since we always refered to them as a couple. Gramps hated it. My dad was Popeye for a short while too.

Since I gave birth to the first grandchild on both sides of the family we told the prospective grandparents they had to pick or we were going to let the kids decide. :D :D

Leigh

MrsReber
11-17-2004, 05:32 AM
My parents have been divorced since I was five.

My mom is called Grandma by all the kids. My kids do call her "Ma Ma", though since Grandma is too hard for them just yet (I'm Mommy or "Moooooom"- said with a whine :rolleyes: ). I wonder if that will change. It's so cute to hear it. Her fiance was declared Papa Lou by my neice. She just started calling him that one day so now all the grandkids call him Papa Lou.

My dad is Grandpa (DH's father passed away) and they all call my stepmother Cathy. We don't see them in person all that often and we weren't able to come up with a better term of affection for her. We're still a bit stuck on it. She didn't want to be a grandma.

DH's mother is Grandma Betty, to avoid confusion.

My little brother called my grandmother "Monga" because he couldn't say grandma. It was too funny!

beacooker
11-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Officially, my parents are Grandma and Grandpa, and my IL's are Nana and Pow-pow (don't know where Pow-pow came from, but that is what all the grandkids call him). In reality, DS (who is not quite 3) calls them 'woman', 'man' (my parents), and 'other woman', and 'other man' (IL's). :D It is hysterical. He sees them all fairly often, and loves them very much and knows who they are and their names, but for some reason he just refuses to say their names! If he sees one of them doing something and he doesn't know what, he will ask me 'Mommy, what is that woman/man doing?' Luckily, they all know that he loves them, so don't get offended at the less than personal names.

Terrytx
11-17-2004, 08:51 AM
My parents were Nanny and Poppa Bob, Dh's were Mamie and Poppa Bill. But better yet, when my oldest son had his first child, they wanted to know what our names would be. We decided to let the chil come up with something....ta da...we are "Teddy (me) Grams (DH):D

LaraW
11-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by MrsReber
I'm Mommy or "Moooooom"- said with a whine :rolleyes:

Don't you know that "Mom" is the world's most whinable word?

MrsReber
11-17-2004, 10:22 AM
I was only hoping that I wouldn't hear that whine until they were at least 10! I can't believe they have started "but moooooooooom..." already. I correct them and say "I am Mommy, not Mom." :D

LaraW
11-17-2004, 10:26 AM
My mom used to always say that her name wasn't "But Mom" :D

Kitch
11-17-2004, 10:28 AM
My kids call my parents Ma and Pa. They call my husbands parents Grpa Bob and Grma Nene. And their great grandmas --grandmaFlo and grandmaRuby.
Our friends kids call their grandpa ..........Granda

rosie_one
11-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Wow, lots of variety!

My parents are Grandma and Grandpa... DH has two sets. Papa and Grammy for his dad and step-mother. Gramzie (which she thought long about before deciding upon) and Grandpa or Grandpa Bill for his mom and step-father. DH's grandmother is Nana, my grandmother is Great Grandma.

Lots of people to keep track of, but you can never have too many folks who adore you. :)

CORALEE
11-17-2004, 11:41 AM
My kids call my parents:
Nanny and Grandad

My MIL (FIL passed away) Nana

My Grandparents: are Nana and Pappy to us. but since my kids already had a Nana they call her GRAPE NANA (not great nana, who know grandmothers came in flavours)

My Husbands Grandparents: GIGI (for great grandmother) and Grandfather (and he likes it that formal. His son called him Father. My parent's call him Grandfather. and If I introduce him to neighbours when he comes over... he sticks his hand out and says "I'm grandfather" It is very cute......

krhm
11-17-2004, 11:59 AM
When I was pregnant with DD1, my dad had a dream that we were all sitting around a table, and a little girl was going around the table naming everyone (Mommy, Daddy, etc). When the little girl got to him, she said "Gampa." So, he wanted to be called Gampa.

Fast forward to DD1 at the age of 3, when "Rolie Polie Olie" was on the Disney channel. The grandfather on that show is called "Gears Grampa" (the characters are robots). So, DD1 named her gampa "Gears."

The name has stuck now for over 5 years, and he is "Gears" to everyone. The really funny time was when his brother came to our house to visit, and when we were trying to explain to DD2 that he was Gears' brother, she said, "Oh, you mean he's second gears!"

My mom is also a Mimi, and DH's parents are Grandma and Grandpa.

Kari

Terri_A
11-17-2004, 02:01 PM
My parents were named by my oldest nephew - Nana and PapPap
My ex-inlaws use the German names - Oma and Opa

Goin' Coastal
11-17-2004, 10:23 PM
A co-worker's son calls her mother (his grandmother) Boss Lady.

They have no idea where he got it, but he has been calling her that for years.

jlo_of_hotlanta
11-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Am I the first to say Ma-ma and Pa-pa (said maw-maw and paw-paw)??

I thought it was common, but maybe not!

Ashley

Terri-Lynn
11-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Terrytx
My parents were Nanny and Poppa Bob, Dh's were Mamie and Poppa Bill. But better yet, when my oldest son had his first child, they wanted to know what our names would be. We decided to let the chil come up with something....ta da...we are "Teddy (me) Grams (DH):D

Oh Terry, That is just too cute!! If my kids heard that they would be changing grandma and grandpa's names in a second. Who can resist Teddy Grahams!

We kids call my parents grandma and grandpa and DH's parents are called yea yea and Ma Ma which is chinese. I really like the chinese culture because the daughters parents are always called Gong Gong and Po Po and the son's parents are always Yea Yea and Ma Ma so you are never confused as to what gradparent you are speaking of.

When we were young we called my granparents MaMa Bear and PaPa Moose, it just came out one day and stuck.

sage
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Don't have kids but do have a nephew.

My mom (his grandma) and I took him to see my grandma (his great-grandma). He asked about "grandma" and we said "which one?"---he said "the grandma with the other hair."---which meant great-grandma---if you'd seen the hair---there would be no question who he meant.

My mother is from north of the mason-dixon---so when my nephew came along she said there would be no mimi, mamaw, meemaw, for her. Just plain grandma. Of course we taught him to call her meemaw when he wants to get a rise out of her. If he really wants to get her going---he calls her "chicken meemaw".

But officially, everyone is "grandma" or "grandpa".

Linda in MO
11-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by jlo_of_hotlanta
Am I the first to say Ma-ma and Pa-pa (said maw-maw and paw-paw)??

I thought it was common, but maybe not!

Ashley
My kids call my dad "paw-paw". And they call my MIL "grandma".

erinl
11-18-2004, 01:00 PM
My in-laws are Nana and Papa. My parents are Gamma and Papa--occasionally they are "OHIO!" So far DD doesn't refer to her great grandparents yet. My dad's mom wants to be called Bedstemor, though. It's Danish, but God only knows how old Hanne and Alex will be before they can say that.

We always called both sets of grandparents grandma and grandpa, and somehow we were never confused. Sometimes we added last names, but not always.