PDA

View Full Version : What Are Pastel Mint Kisses

blazedog
11-20-2004, 03:05 PM
I found a Christmas cookie recipe that uses something called Pastel Mint (Cream?) Kisses - you top the warm cookies with one and swirl as frosting.

Does anybody know what these would be? Are they in the candy aisle or in a specialized candy making place.

Thanks

badunnin
11-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Here (http://www.candywarehouse.com/smootmelmin5.html) is a picture of a cookie with pastel mint kisses on the top. They are the chocolate chip sized things that taste of mint and have little nonpareils on the top? Or the bottoms, I think.... Anyways, I have only ever seen them in candy making places.

blazedog
11-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks -- Those be them :D I think I will need to pass on the recipe unless I can find a source that sells less than 25 pounds.

valchemist
11-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by blazedog
Thanks -- Those be them :D I think I will need to pass on the recipe unless I can find a source that sells less than 25 pounds.

I see those things all over the place. Just in regular grocery stores. and not in 25 pound bags.

would you mind posting the recipe?

mom2garret
11-20-2004, 05:36 PM
I usually get them at the mall at one of those Hickory Farm booths. Do you have a store that sells candy out of those plastic bins? Or perhaps a store that specializes in selling baking supplies?
Jodi

blazedog
11-20-2004, 06:13 PM
The recipe is from the BHG Christmas Cookie book I impulsively bought on the newstand -- as if I need another cookie recipe:)

I was attracted to the recipe because they look very pretty in the picture and seem very simple to make for the results. The melted butter and chocolate rather than the more typical creamed butter cookie also seems intriguing.

From the picture there don't appear to be nonpareils on the candies.

Chocolate Mint Creams

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
6 tbl butter
1 tbl water
1 6 ounce package semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1 egg
1/2 to 3/4 pound pastel color cream mint kidss

Stir together flour and baking soda; set aside. In a medium saucepan cook and stir brown sugar, butter and water over low heat until butter melts. Add chocolate; cook and stir until it melts. Pour chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl; let stand for 10 to 15 minutes until cool

Beat egg into the chocolate mixture. Stir in flour mixture until well mixed. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately top each cookie with a mint kiss. Return cookies to oven and bake about 2 minutes more or until edges are set. Swirl the melted mints with a knife to “frost” cookies. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool until mints are firm. Makes about 48.

To STORE: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

valchemist
11-20-2004, 07:12 PM
thanks. that recipe does look good!

MKSquared
11-20-2004, 10:37 PM
You may want to check out this thread, from last year, for suggestions on where to get the candy, what it looks like, and a recipe, too.

What are "mint meltaway candies?" (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=56454&highlight=mint+cookies)

Meganator
11-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Our Super Target has a section of bulk candy - mainly Jelly Bellies, but other stuff too. One of the things they have is the pastel nonpariels.