PDA

View Full Version : Anybody thaw pie crust dough in microwave?

Middydd
11-30-2004, 01:31 PM
I've got a ball of frozen pie crust dough and want to use up some apples and leftover cranberry sauce in a pie.

Think I can thaw the dough ball in the microwave or do I have to wait until this evening to make the pie?

Meganator
11-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Try just putting it in a ziplock bag and running hot water over it - the only thing really frozen is the crisco or butter, whatever you use, and it should defrost relatively quickly, I would think.

Grace
11-30-2004, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't try to thaw it quickly. You'll get a tough crust. Even running hot water over it will melt the fat to some degree and it will be a mess. The microwave is very uneven too, and I'm the queen of microwave defrosting. If you MUST try it, put it in the microwave on power level ONE, for like two minute intervals, checking it each time. It will take a little longer on power level 1, but is less likely to turn the fat into mush. When I soften butter for baking (just as an example), I put a whole stick in on power level two for one to one and a half minutes, and it's perfectly softened without being melted. So I think that the microwave is likely to soften the butter/shortening in your pie dough just too much. But that's just MHO! Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Clover
11-30-2004, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't use the microwave because it would melt the fat in it, as Grace says. Wouldn't it be quicker and easier to just make some new pie crust?

Middydd
11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
I got busy this afternoon and never got to make the pie until now. The dough was nicely thawed.

Grace, thanks for the tip on softening butter, I've tried a few times to soften it on defrost but ended up with melted edges. Hadn't thought of going down to that low of power for that short of time.

Clover, you're definitely right that it would have been easier to make more dough. My secret: I *hate* making pie dough!! My husband doesn't mind, so I get him to make it. He wasn't home this afternoon.

Any other secret pie dough phobics out there?

leightx
11-30-2004, 07:11 PM
I must have a super-powered microwave - I usually soften butter on power 1 for 10 seconds (and even then, it occasionally gets a little melty in the middle). :p

ctr264
11-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Take your pie dough out of the freezer and let sit at room temp until you are able to work with it. I would not thaw it in the micro. I usually make extra dough when doing pies to have on hand, generally I roll the dough out into a glass pie plate, then freeze, For the tops of the pie, I roll the dough out, place between sheets of wax paper, then freeze. It is important to make sure that it is very tightly sealed to avoid spoiling.