PDA

View Full Version : ISO - Cookies Using Heavy Cream

blazedog
12-11-2004, 04:32 PM
I have an extra pint of heavy cream and I would love to use it for some Christmas cookies but I can't seem to locate any recipes --

I'm game for anything - I've got chocolate, coconut, pecans, walnuts, macadamias, fresh cranberries, raisins and dried cranberries -- also molasses but I doubt there is any cookie with a combination of cream and molasses:D Oh yes some cream cheese too.

Other than that I will not go to the store again:D

Aubergine
12-11-2004, 05:37 PM
blaze, i can't ever recall seeing a cookie recipe that calls for heavy cream, altho' before this thread is done, i'm sure we'll all have several. why not make some truffles?:D

but seriously, if i may ask, why are you so intent on using it for cookies?

blazedog
12-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Because I really don't want to make it for anything that I would eat:D I am the Typhoid Mary of cholesterol this Christmas season -- better them than me.

I am making cookies to give away -- aren't there any bar cookies around that might use cream in a layer melted with chocolate?

Kayaksoup
12-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Believe it or not, there is at least one on the Bars and Cookies Thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47163&perpage=30&pagenumber=3)

White Chocolate Eggnog Bars

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Cinnamon graham crust
2 cups graham cracker crumbs -- cinnamon
9 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted
Eggnog Filling
12 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons dark rum
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
White chocolate topping
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 ounces white chocolate -- chopped, good quality
Garnish
freshly grated nutmeg

Make the crust:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with foil so that the foil extends 2 inches beyond the two short ends of the pan. Lightly grease the foil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham crackers crumbs and melted butter. Transfer the crumbs to the prepared pan and pat them into an even layer. Bake the crust for 8 minutes, or until it is slightly puffed and set. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool while you make the filling. Reduce the oven temperature to 325F.

Make the filling:
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and sugar at medium speed until smooth and light, about 1 minute. Beat in the cornstarch. Add the egg and egg yolks, one at a time, beating until blended and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the heavy cream, brandy or rum, vanilla extract, and nutmeg.
4. Scrape the filling into the slightly cooled crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the filling is set. Place the pan on a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
5. Refrigerate the bars for at least 1 hour, until chilled.

Make the topping:
6. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a gentle boil. Remove pan from the heat and immediately add the white chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate, then stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Set the topping aside to cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until thickened.
7. Pour the topping over the chilled bars and, using a small offset metal spatula, spread evenly. Refrigerate the bars at least 2 hours before cutting (or freeze 1 hour).
8. Lift the bars out of the pan using the foil as handles. Remove the foil and cut into 24 bars. Serve chilled, dusted very lightly with freshly grated nutmeg.

Store in and airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Recipe from : The Good Cookie by Tish Boyle

Source:
"CLBB Posted by Gecko?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 210 Calories; 16g Fat (65.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 64mg Cholesterol; 92mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Kayaksoup
12-11-2004, 05:51 PM
And I found another:

TURTLE BARS
Dark brown sugar gives these buttery treats an extra-rich taste.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons whipping cream

1 cup pecan halves, toasted
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (about 5 1/2 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix flour, 1 cup brown sugar, and 3/4 cup butter in processor until well blended and crumbly. Press mixture evenly into ungreased 9x13x2-inch metal baking dish. Bake until crust is light golden, about 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
Meanwhile, bring remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup butter, and cream to boil in small saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove caramel from heat.

Sprinkle pecans over crust. Pour caramel over pecans. Bake until bubbles form and color darkens, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand until chocolate melts, about 5 minutes. Using offset spatula, spread chocolate evenly over top. Chill bars until chocolate sets, about 20 minutes. Cut into 1-inch squares.

Makes about 70.

tbb113
12-11-2004, 05:51 PM
I dont' have tried and true, but I went to allrecipes and came back with these (http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/ingadv.asp?i1=heavy+cream&n1=&q1=cookie&i2=&n2=&i3=&n3=&i4=&n4=&siteid=52&srt=1&x=10&y=5) than use heavy cream.

blazedog
12-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Kayak -- I never had any doubts:D - this Board is un****ingbelievable:D

Kayaksoup
12-11-2004, 05:58 PM
I meant to say I made the second ones to take to work. And they were, well, very popular:D