PDA

View Full Version : Panicking about the prime rib

jellyben
12-24-2004, 10:05 AM
I bought an 8lb boneless prime rib, but have no clue what to do with it! Is there a simple recipe that is floating around? I am planning to do mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding, green beans. But the actual roast has me stumped. I have never prepared one, and it was too expensive to mess up!

Thanks much!

Sami
12-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Do you have a basic cookbook like Joy of Cooking or Better Homes and Garden? If so, there is a meat chapter which will take you through step by step. Generally, you use 325 degrees and roast 20 min a pound for rare roast beef (140 degrees on a meat thermemometer). Coat the roast with whatever you like...salt and pepper, butter mashed with fresh roasemary, etc. When the roast is done, let it sit on a carving board covered with foil for 10 or so minutes. Make a gravy if you want one, or just use the pan juices.

Enjoy..it will be delicious. Sami

sneezles
12-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by jellyben
Is there a simple recipe that is floating around?

The simplest way is to preheat your oven to 500F. Rub meat with olive oil and then a mixture of salt, garlic, and cracked black pepper over the entire roast and place rib side down in roaster. Place pan in oven and reduce heat to 375F and roast for one hour. Turn off oven but do not open oven door (trust me on this, I just made it this week). Let roast sit in closed oven for 3 hours and then turn oven back on to 375F and roast for desired doneness:

35 minutes for rare
40 minutes for medium
45 minutes for well done

Let rest on cutting board while you prepare the gravy!

Ann Sanders
12-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Sneezels recipe is one of my favorite ways to do a roast besides putting it out on the smoker!

jellyben
12-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Thank you! Sneezles, I am intrigued by your method-I think I will try this!!