PDA

View Full Version : Potato Question- What is a "boiling potato"?

keeganm
12-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Hello, I am making BC's Hash Browns and she calls for boiling potatoes...I have no idea what this means. Are they the russets? White? HELP! Thank you.

blazedog
12-31-2004, 09:47 AM
I am not a food chemist and only retain about 1% of what I read or watch.

However, a boiling potato is not a russet or Idaho type potato which is the sort you would use for baking.

Potatoes which are generally boiled (although you shouldn't literally boil anything) are the waxy variety -- the red potatoes, for example, Generally they are smaller and have shiny skins - new potatoes. If you go to the supermarket, you can find them.

It has something to do with starch content and how the potato will hold up to various processes.

I am sure somebody will have a better answer but if you are dashing to the store immediately, just look for the type of potatoes you would never bake:D

keeganm
12-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks so much for your response. I picked up "white" potatoes which have thinner skins than the russets, and will try them this time..hopefully they won't fall apart!

funniegrrl
12-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Your thin-skinned white potatoes are also "boiling potatoes," so they will work just fine in the recipe. In fact, they are what I would choose to use, not the red potatoes. I tend to only use red potatoes when I want really small ones, and where I'm going to leave the skin on.

keeganm
01-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Well I used the white potatoes and they turned out great! They didn't fall apart like I feared. Thanks for all your help!