PDA

View Full Version : Spice Cake Recipe

Goin' Coastal
12-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Has anyone tried this spice cake? I have it in the oven right now. Sat is my daughter's birthday and she wanted her favorite cake - spice with chocolate fudge frosting. Since I have resolved to keep trans fats out of the house, I couldn't use the usual cake mix. Most recipes I searched for had either pumpkin or apple in them and it would be too different than what she is expecting. I found this recipe, but had to wait until she went out tonight to make it, because the thought of parsnips in it would totally freak her out and she wouldn't even taste it. So that will be my little secret. Anyway, it had a couple of good reviews so I hope she likes it. It puzzled me though that it called for no eggs. I almost put one in for the heck of it, but I didn't. Let me know if you have tried this.

Spice Cake with Caramel Icing
From Cooking Light

One way to make certain you get your veggies is to put them in a cake. Just like carrots do for carrot cake, parsnips make this aromatic spice cake moist.

Cake:
1 pound (1-inch-thick) slices peeled parsnip
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup apple juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
Cooking spray

Icing:
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

To prepare cake, preheat oven to 350.
Place the parsnip in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer over medium heat 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Place the parsnip, 1 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, 5 tablespoons butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a food processor, and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. With the processor on, slowly add apple juice through the food chute, processing until well combined. Place the parsnip mixture in a large bowl.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and 3/4 cup milk alternately to parsnip mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into 2 (9-inch) round cake pans lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare icing, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer until slightly thick (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat with a mixer at medium speed until icing is smooth and only slightly warm. (Icing will continue to thicken as it cools.)

Place 1 cake layer on a plate. Working quickly, spread the layer with half of the icing, and top with the remaining layer. Spread the remaining icing over the top layer, and sprinkle with toasted pecans. Cool to room temperature. Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.

Yield: 18 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 309(17% from fat); FAT 6g(sat 3g,mono 2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 3.2g; CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 59mg; SODIUM 303mg; FIBER 2.1g; IRON 1.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 61.8g

Kathryn Conrad
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2003

tbb113
12-31-2004, 09:24 PM
I made it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was excellent. You can't taste the parsnips at all. It did get dry as leftovers but I still managed to finish the WHOLE thing :o

Goin' Coastal
12-31-2004, 09:40 PM
And it really didn't need an egg?

tbb113
01-01-2005, 01:43 AM
If it didn't call for one, it really didn't need it.....

Goin' Coastal
01-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Cake was not a winner in our house. Too dense and heavy. Anyone have a recipe for a spice cake? (similar taste to the box mix)

Aubergine
01-02-2005, 05:20 PM
spice cake with chocolate frosting is one of my favorites, too. Entenmann's used to make a sensational version. i think this recipe is more what you're looking for. i took a recipe from Nick Malgieri's How to Bake and tweaked it slightly with a couple of changes drawn from my prior favorite (and almost identical) recipe in the 1979 Fannie Farmer.

SPICE CAKE

Basically an old-fashioned 2-egg cake, this is a perfect quick cake to make for a birthday or any other special occasion because it is easy to prepare; it always turns out light, moist, and flavorful, and doesn't necessarily need a frosting to finish it off. - N.M.

2-1/4 cups cake flour
2 tsps baking powder
8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
1/2 cup milk
2 tsps cinnamon
3/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

One 9-inch springform pan, 3 inches deep, buttered, bottom lined with a disk of parchment paper.*

1. Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 deg.

2. In a small bowl, stir the cake flour and baking powder together well to combine.

3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until soft and light. Use a hand mixer set at medium speed or a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle. Gradually beat in the sugar and salt and continue beating for about 5 minutes, until very light, scraping the sides and bottom half-way through. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, continuing to beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.

4. Sift half the cake flour mixture over the butter mixture, then stir in by hand. Stir in the milk and molasses thoroughly, scarping the sides of the bowl, then sift over and stir in the remaining cake flour mixture. Beat the batter for a few seconds by hand to ensure that everything is thoroughly encorporated.

5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until it is well-risen and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.

6. Cool in the pan on a rack for five minutes, then remove the pan side and slide the cake from the pan bottom to the rack to cool, If the cake was baked in a layer pan, turn it over onto a rack, remove the pan, the turn the cake right side up onto another rack to cool.

Serving: Serve the cake with a dusting of confectioner's sugar and pass a bowl of sweetened whipped cream. Or finish the cake by frosting with Caramel Icing.

Storage: Keep the cake tightly wrapped (or under a cake dome if iced) at room temperature.

* Layer cake version: Butter and lightly flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Replace baking powder with 1/2 tsp baking soda; increase eggs to 4. Bake appox. 30 minutes. Frost with Caramel Icing.

Goin' Coastal
01-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks, I'll give that recipe a try.