PDA

View Full Version : Emeril's BBQ shrimp recipe from 4/4

donleyk
04-05-2001, 10:12 AM
OK, I gotta admit, this looked divine. However, it calls for 2 sticks of butter and 1/2 cup of olive oil. OHMYGAWD. There is no way! I was going to sub with 2 TBSP of either butter or oil and maybe a can of chicken or veggie broth. Anyone have an opinion? TIA

browneye
04-05-2001, 01:12 PM
CL's version of Barbequed cajun shrimp uses fat-free Ceasar dressing and 2 tblsp. butter instead of all that butter. I think that is per 2 pounds of shrimp. It might work in this recipe as well. I personally love CL's version too.

donleyk
04-05-2001, 01:18 PM
Hmmm.... that sounds great, trying the Ceasar dressing. Thanks for idea.

Katie-pie
04-05-2001, 01:21 PM
Man, did last night's Emeril have me salivating! Those shrimp...umm, umm, umm. I do my shrimp with onions and Old Bay and then I steam them over a pan of beer. They're great but Emeril's sounded shrimply divine...I know, I'm a cornball...tee hee.

donleyk
04-05-2001, 01:25 PM
I get fairly excited over some of his recipes, but last night I was ready to run to the store and get what I needed! Bring on the shrimp!

mb
04-05-2001, 01:51 PM
i'll second browneye on this one. emeril's recipe sounds a lot like the CL BBQ shrimp recipe from April 2000. That dish was very tasty... http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

KellyD
04-05-2001, 02:03 PM
I was salivating right along with the rest of you last night, but it also made me think of this recipe. Okay, it isn't Emeril's barbequed shrimp - but it is VERY good and uses olive oil instead of the butter. I use a lot more tabasco than it calls for - cause we like our food "kicked up a notch" - but it's great as it's written. I've also served it over linguine with some sauted peppers & onions - yummm...

SPICY BAKED SHRIMP

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 pound uncooked large shrimp, shelled, deveined

Lemon wedges
French bread

Combine first 7 ingredients in 9x13-inch baking dish. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake until shrimp are cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve shrimp with French bread.

Serves 4.

Bon Appétit
March 1992
Kathi Dameron: Tallahassee, Florida

donleyk
04-05-2001, 02:06 PM
I will be happy to try this too! Thanks for recipe.

mb
04-05-2001, 04:32 PM
kellyd, are you sure that recipe is from bon appetit? i think the same recipe is in the joy of cooking... anyhow, it is very good - we've made it several times... good tossed in pasta or by itself. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Vanessa
04-06-2001, 12:51 AM
BARBEQUED SHRIMP Emeril Lagasse
4 pounds raw shrimp, heads and shells on, well rinsed and drained
2 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
10 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons fresh oregano
1 teaspoon crushed whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 lemons, cut in half and their juice
1 large loaf crusty French bread

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and let drain. Spread in 1 layer in a large roasting pan or baking dish. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients, except the shrimp and bread, and stir to mix well. Remove from the heat and pour over the shrimp. Bake in the oven until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the shrimp from drying out. Remove from the oven and pour into a large serving bowl, or individual bowls to be peeled and eaten at tableside, with hot French bread for dunking in the sauce.

Essence (Emeril’s Creole Seasoning):
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container. Yield: about 2/3 cup

I posted the recipe so others can give an opinion.
I think the amounts are so much due to the fact:
that we are talking about 4 pounds of shrimp. You might decrease the amount of butter or what about using a lower fat butter reducing it and using a more balanced combination of butter/oil.
You can reduce the amount of oil/butter and replace (not all though) with defatted chicken broth and white wine

KellyD
04-06-2001, 04:28 PM
mb - I cut & pasted from their website, but it's a reader recipe - so maybe someone plagiarized!

mb
04-06-2001, 04:55 PM
well, i checked my joy of cooking. the recipe is EXTREMELY similar, but not exactly the same, so maybe it isn't plagiarism?!? here is the recipe from Joy of Cooking, page 154:

BAKED HONEY SHRIMP

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, shelled, deveined

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Transfer shrimp to baking sheet large enough to hold them in 1 layer. Bake until shrimp are firm, about 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle shrimp with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley and 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Serve with French bread.

Makes 6 first course servings or 12-15 hors d'oeuvre servings.
---------------------------------------

sounds just about the same to me!

McSix
04-08-2001, 04:21 PM
These recipes sound so good...and extra large tiger prawns are on sale at our local store right now! Thanks for posting them.

Tiger
04-08-2001, 06:04 PM
Kelly- Thanks for the recipe. I don't care where it came from or how you got it. It's on my menu next week!
Any excuse to use my new Emeril spices!

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 04-08-2001).]

Tiger
04-11-2001, 09:31 PM
Kelly- I made your recipe tonight. (baked spicy shrimp ) It was excellent!! My husband and I LOVED it! I used my Emeril spices and served it over anglehair pasta.
How low-fat do you think the recipe is? I felt guilty using 1/2 cup of olive oil. I don't use that much oil in anything.