PDA

View Full Version : Dried lemongrass vs. fresh

shoyski
04-04-2001, 07:23 PM
I need some advice, please. I purchased some dried lemongrass because I can never seem to locate the fresh. However, the bottle doesn't show the ratio of dried to fresh quantity. Any clue?

Also, has anyone tried pre-chopped ginger in a jar? I've tried the garlic and am not as impressed...using it only when I'm pressured for time. Thanks for your advice.

Peggy
04-04-2001, 09:21 PM
shoyski,

I can't help you with the lemon grass issue but I do have experience with the pre-chopped ginger in a jar. I started buying ginger that way several years ago and now that's all I buy (unless a recipe calls for ginger slices). I used to hate peeling and mincing ginger because it was so woody and stringy. Yuck! The stuff in the jar has a smoother consistency and blends well in the recipe. I feel it is a major time saver and I prefer the end product.

Just my humble opinion! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/biggrin.gif

Peggy

sneezles
04-04-2001, 10:25 PM
I would imagine the ratio for the dried lemongrass vs. fresh would be the same for any other dried vs fresh herb. For one tbs fresh it's one tsp dried.
And I too like the jar of ginger but then I use the jar of garlic most times too! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/wink.gif

Grace
04-05-2001, 08:41 AM
Hi Shelly,

Don't know about the lemongrass, but I can vouch for the ginger in the jar. I don't like the garlic in the jar either - it doesn't have much taste, and what taste it does have, seems to be "off", somehow. But the ginger is awesome from the jar. Tastes just like fresh to me, and is indeed, ever so much easier than peeling and grating! Plus, it stays fresh in the jar for a long time, so you can always have some on hand (although we go through ours pretty quickly!)

aggie94
04-05-2001, 10:35 AM
I hate mincing ginger and would LOVE ginger already minced out of a jar. I've never seen it before. Where do you guys find it, and any specific brand you're using?

Peggy
04-05-2001, 10:49 AM
aggie94,

I use the Christopher Ranch brand. They are located in Gilroy, California. I imagine you should be able to find it in Oregon. At my grocery store, it is kept in the refrigerator section in the produce department by the prepackaged lettuces.

Peggy

lorilei
04-05-2001, 10:58 AM
shoyski -
I wanted to get back to that lemongrass question!

Substitute 1 tablespoon of dried lemongrass for each fresh stalk. If dried isn't available, try several strips of lemon peel per stalk. Chefs warn, though, that the effect won't be quite the same, since lemongrass has a more subtle, delicate flavor than lemons or limes.

I usually find fresh lemongrass stalks at my local healthfood store -- but I've tried both substitutions in a pinch, and they work just fine!

Luiza
04-05-2001, 11:11 AM
Has anybody tried bottled lemon grass? Does it have any flavour?

Luiza

funnybone
04-05-2001, 11:29 AM
I recently ordered from King Arthur and they had ginger in the jar, so I decided get one. I have yet to try it. With gingeroot, I peel a small piece and put it in my garlic press, and it works fine. I just found that I wasted a lot of fresh ginger, so that is why I am going to try the jarred version. I just grabbed the jar. The brand they sold was "Buderim" and is from Australia. www.buderimginger.com (http://www.buderimginger.com) I will have to check that out.

shoyski
04-05-2001, 11:41 AM
Thanks, guys, I KNEW I could count on you.
I'm making a beef recipe I found in the recipe search using coconut milk for the search item. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Laura Wick
04-07-2001, 12:50 AM
Another idea about lemon grass. It is very easy to grow. I got a little plant in a four inch pot at the nursery, and within six months, it was waist high! The biggest problem is keeping it cut back.

It can be used in just about any chicken dish. I love chicken grilled with a lemon grass, parsley, salt and pepper rub.

Andrew
04-12-2001, 01:26 PM
Dried lemon grass needs to be chopped very fine after soaking for at least an hour. Problem is the water leeches out most of the flavor. I do use it when I'm desparate but fresh is the way to go.

When using fresh, use only the lower white part after peeling away one or two layers to get down to the soft part.

Andrew
04-12-2001, 01:27 PM
Oh I forgot!

I use ginger in the jar all the time.

We buy the huge gars of minced garlic too.

Love them both!