PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Baby Carrot Recipes

RUSTYSMOM
04-10-2001, 08:20 PM
I am planning to serve baby carrots with my grilled lamb and roasted asparagus for Easter dinner (and garlic mashed potato). I can just roast the carrots also - but thought I would check to see if any of you have any fabulous recipes for this little orange wonder. Thanks in advance.

schuh
04-10-2001, 10:10 PM
I have a baby carrot that incorporates mandarin oranges and, if I recall correctly, a fair amount of butter. The reason I like this recipe is that it can be popped in the oven with other foods (instead of me trying to boil them and time it with other foods). If you're interested, I'll post it (don't have it typed on the computer just yet).

lorilei
04-11-2001, 07:58 AM
I usually cook my baby carrots in white wine. Just throw 3/4 cup white wine in a saute pan (w/ a bit of olive oil if it's not nonstick) with the carrots and cook them over medium/medium-high heat until a glaze forms (20 minutes or so). Taste carrots. Add 1-2 T brown sugar if carrots and glaze are not sweet enough.

This makes deliciously simple carrots. Carrots are also good tossed with olive oil and roasted at 450 in the oven. They carmelize wonderfully and have a deeper flavor.

Good luck with your dinner! Let us know what you try...

Leanne
04-11-2001, 10:03 AM
I make mine with butter & dill.

I've also made a sweet glaze with brown sugar & orange juice (maybe some spices like onion or garlic powder - it's been so long I can't remember!)

emilycat
04-11-2001, 10:52 AM
I don't use baby carrots, but I love to roast them with thyme and a bit of olive oil; I agree with lorilei -- the flavor really deepens, and they're so delcious when they caramelize. Lorilei, by the way, I'm going to have to try your wine-cooking method; it sounds great!

Emily

lorilei
04-11-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by emilycat:
I don't use baby carrots, but I love to roast them with thyme and a bit of olive oil; I agree with lorilei -- the flavor really deepens, and they're so delcious when they caramelize. Lorilei, by the way, I'm going to have to try your wine-cooking method; it sounds great!
Emily

Likewise, the addition of thyme to the roasted carrots sounds wonderful -- I don't think I've ever tried that! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Emdg
04-11-2001, 01:06 PM
I've never made this with baby carrots, but don't see why it wouldn't work...Cook the carrots in a few tablespoons of water and a dribble of sesame oil. Steam till tender. Mince and stir in a few tablespoons of parsley. It has nice color, and the sesame oil makes it taste like there is more to it.
Hoppy Easter http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/wink.gif

kima
04-11-2001, 04:00 PM
I am roasting asparagus for Easter dinner and was wondering how to do baby carrots. Could I add them to the asparagus and roast them at the same time and temperature? Or should they be separate?? Ah the important questions in life.... http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Andrew
04-12-2001, 01:00 PM
Here's our favorite baby carrot recipe of all time!

Baby Carrots With Curry Sauce
Recipe By: Cooking Light, Jan/Feb 1995, page 108
Serving Size: 2
Preparation Time: 0:08

1/2 pound baby carrots (4-inch)
2 tablespoons reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 tablespoon nonfat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon skim milk
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon honey

Steam carrots, covered, 7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.

Combine mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients in a saucepan; place over medium-low heat until hot, stirring occasionally.Yield: 2 servings.

Per serving: 96 Calories; 5g Fat (42% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 6mg Cholesterol; 117mg Sodium

lorilei
04-12-2001, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by kima:
I am roasting asparagus for Easter dinner and was wondering how to do baby carrots. Could I add them to the asparagus and roast them at the same time and temperature? Or should they be separate?? Ah the important questions in life.... http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

kima - I have a feeling the asparagus will cook quite a bit faster than the carrots. Do them separately, putting the carrots in first (and cooking them, I would guess, about 15 minutes longer)

emilycat
04-12-2001, 01:12 PM
I agree completely with lorilei, kima, I think your asparagus may be quite shriveled if you roast it as long as the carrots. I was thinking maybe 30 minutes for the asparagus, 45 for the carrots? Does that sound about right? Anyone? Anyone? http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/tongue.gif

kima
04-12-2001, 01:32 PM
I usually roast asparagus at 500 F for 15 mins. and it is perfect. I do think the carrots would take longer so I will do them separately. Thanks for the advice!!

CrystalB
04-12-2001, 01:42 PM
kima-
When you roast your asparagus, do you just use olive oil? Any spices? Lemon juice?

emilycat
04-12-2001, 02:56 PM
Kima,

Do you roast yours on the top rack of your oven? I cook mine in the middle at 350, but I'm guessing I could cook them for less time if I used the top rack.

kima
04-12-2001, 04:44 PM
I always too the asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sometimes I add parmesan cheese or garlic. I roast them on the top rack at a high heat -at least 450-500. The asparagus is always perfectly cooked in about 15 mins, unless it is very thick then it needs a few minutes longer. This is definately my favorite way to prepare asparagus!!