PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Review & Question: Rosemary Fried Scallops (12/04)

Leebot
01-21-2005, 12:09 AM
I tried the Rosemary Fried Scallops with Tomato Caper Salad (CL 12/04), and while the tomato salad was very tasty and refreshing (would make a great warm-weather dish!) -- I was a bit puzzled about how the scallops turned out. I can't help but wonder if I did something wrong. I followed the directions, but the scallops quickly generated a lot of moisture to the point where the cornmeal coating was just a soggy mess -- not crispy at all. The rosemary was a nice flavor touch, but I'd love to figure out a way to get the coating to be a bit more crisp.

Did anyone else try this one?

erin elizabeth
01-21-2005, 07:26 AM
If your scallops were previously frozen, they might have still been a little frozen in the middle. I've done this with other things that I thought were thawed, but took longer to cook or generated a lot of liquid when I put them in the pan.

Ohioan
01-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Also, some packers or distributors soak the scallops or inject them with water to make them freeze faster and/or make them weigh more. :( I once read somewhere that when you buy the scallops, you need to ask whether this has been done.

Woe,
Phoebe

Leebot
01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
That does make sense. Thanks!