PDA

View Full Version : What Makes A Le Creuset Pan Fantastic?

blazedog
01-30-2005, 08:17 AM
I have found a site that offers Le Creuset pans at quite a good price and I am tempted. I also brought home a 5 quart oval Dutch oven on sale for $110 but am toying with returning it and buying the 7 quart round for the same price (or a tad more),

I have some very good pans including 2 Dutch ovens (4 and 6 quart),

Does Le Creuset live up to its hype -- everyone on the cooking shows seems to use it.

Should I purchase one.

Is round better than oval?

Is 5 quarts too small to be really usable?

The 7 quart round is $111 and the 5 quart is slightly less. The 5 quart looks a little small (that's the one I brought home yesterday)

Thanks

I know I posted these questions in another thread but thought this header might bring in more answers from the Le Creuset people.

Robyn1007
01-30-2005, 08:30 AM
I just got my 5.5 qt Le Creuset round dutch oven a few weeks ago. Here is what I have loved about it: no more scorched bottoms in stews and soups (an I have a very uncontrollable gas stove), the heat distribution is fantastic, it goes into the oven easily and clean up is really easy (the hardest part is just the weight), and I know it will last forever, my family has pieces that have been handed from one generation to the next. As far as size, I have made a number of dishes that make 6-8 servings without a problem but I am just one person and usually am making for leftovers and freezing and I have no idea about the round vs oval but my guess is oval would be good if you are planning to do roasts in it.

Robyn

sneezles
01-30-2005, 11:15 AM
I have a 5.5 Dutch oven that is about 30 years old. It made enough to feed my family of five. I have graduated to a 7 quart because the boys are now much bigger but I still use the 5.5 quart most often...and for all the same reasons that Robyn stated.

blazedog
01-30-2005, 11:21 AM
I have the 5 quart oval at home now and it certainly is a think of beauty.

Is the 5.5. ROUND one better?

What do you cook in the 7 quart as opposed to the 5 quart except obviously larger amounts of soup or chile.

Lastly, what makes you really prefer the Le Creuset to other good cookware.

My heavy stainless clad and anodized aluminum both sear beautifully.

Not trying to be controversial -- I will have to find a place for this which means getting rid of something -- my rule is something out for something in :D

sneezles
01-30-2005, 11:48 AM
The advantage of the oval over the round would be for roasts or chickens (I can fit a fairly good chunk of meat in the round one though). For a whole chicken I usually use my clay pot.
The bigger the pot the bigger the piece of meat you can roast, braise or whatever.

I have a 7qt Calaphon Dutch oven which I like fairly well I just think the LeCreuset does better when in the oven for long periods...

I have a 9qt Lodge that's great but really a monster to handle so I use just for short ribs which I don't make very often so it's under the back stairs!:p

emptyspool
01-30-2005, 12:18 PM
So, can you make a roux in Le Creuset?

blazedog
01-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by sneezles
The advantage of the oval over the round would be for roasts or chickens (I can fit a fairly good chunk of meat in the round one though). For a whole chicken I usually use my clay pot.

I have a 9qt Lodge that's great but really a monster to handle so I use just for short ribs which I don't make very often so it's under the back stairs!:p

The folks at Cooks Illustrated had the same reaction :D When they rated large capacity Dutch ovens the All Clad and Le Creuset were at the top as was the Lodge. However, they said it was so heavy that they never wanted to use it.

They liked the Calphalon except for creating a broth when searing meat as they thought it got a "burned" or off taste.

I do love my Calphalon but I find that it tends to burn things in the oven because of the dark surface -- my nonstick Calphalon roasting pan is great for roasting veggies though as long as I'm careful to watch them and boy is clean up easy -- the balsamic vinegar I use with veggies used to be monstrous to scrub off even if I lined with tin foil.

sneezles
01-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by emptyspool
So, can you make a roux in Le Creuset?

Absolutely!!

angelamaria
01-30-2005, 04:03 PM
not only do i love my 7 qt round and oval le crueset pans for soups and stews- i use it a lot for any braised dish. if you get one of these pots i suggest checking out the cookbook All About Braising. it is wonderful and you will get plenty of good ideas of what to cook in the pots!