PDA

View Full Version : yoga/pilates how often?

SammyOD
02-01-2005, 08:54 AM
I've been doing this yoga/pilates dvd. The disc is split up into parts, it has an upper body and then a lower body(about 20 mins each). I've kind of been switching off doing upper one day then lower the next. This week I started doing both each day. I know with weight training I'm supposed to switch off, giving the body parts a days rest. Do you guys know how that works with yoga/pilates?

Sarah428
02-01-2005, 09:25 AM
The Winsor pilates website says "20 minutes a day, 3 days a week" so I would think that yoga and pilates are like strength training, needing a day off in between. I do pilates 2-3 times a week but never on back to back days.

Is this your main form of exercise?

wallycat
02-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I have been doing yoga 6/week.

Jsmith82
02-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I know my yoga instructor tells us we should be doing yoga everyday.:eek:

I would think it depends on the kind of workout you are doing. Since you said the disc is split up into upper and lower body workouts, I would treat those as weight training and not do the same routine on consecutive days.

Sarah428
02-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by wallycat
I have been doing yoga 6/week.

I know people that do yoga everyday but not pilates. They are often paired together, for whatever reason.

SammyOD
02-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Yes this is my only form of exercise. I've been pretty stationary but I'm trying to get myself going. Slowly but surely. Would it be ok if I did one body part a day?

Sarah428
02-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by SammyOD
Yes this is my only form of exercise. I've been pretty stationary but I'm trying to get myself going. Slowly but surely. Would it be ok if I did one body part a day?
On the rare chance I have time for pilates two nights in a row I'll do basic pilates DVD one night and the leg on another, focus on one body part or secion (upper and lower) a day would be the way to go if you want to do pilates everyday.

It's a great start - good luck!

funniegrrl
02-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Yoga you can do every single day of the world. Pilates is more like weight training since it usually involves working a muscle to failure or close thereto. Therefore, it should be switched off just like weight training.

SammyOD
02-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. It's every other day for me :)