PDA

View Full Version : New here - ISO banana bread/muffin/cake recipes

samanthasmom510
02-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards, but not to CL. I have several very ripe bananas & am ISO a new recipe! Any great suggestions??

Thanks!
Tara

Terrytx
02-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I just made this over the weekend and it is delicious.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Banana Bread Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

pilgrim719

1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup Bisquick
2 eggs
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9" pie plate with nonstick cooking
spray; set aside.

Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat on low speed until
well-blended, 1-2 minutes. Scrape batter with a rubber spatula into
prepared pie plate and smooth top.

Bake until pie is well caramelized on top and firm around the edge but
still a little soft in the center, 25-30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and
let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing. Serve it warm with vanilla ice
cream or chilled with whipped cream.

Store pie covered in plastic wrap at room temperature for one day, or in
the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

Serves 8.

NOTES : add shredded coconut, choc chips, cinn chips, peanut better chips,
walnuts, etc or even strawberries

imloulou
02-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the Boards Tara!

You can do a search for Banana bread using the search button above and a ton of recipes will come up...HINT: Search for Banana AND Bread with the AND and click on search titles only to narrow it down.

Here is one of my favorite muffin recipes from Eating Well (be very careful not to overcook):

Banana-Bran Muffins

2 large eggs
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
1 cup buttermilk (see Tip)
1 cup unprocessed wheat bran (see Ingredient note)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.

Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, buttermilk, bran, oil and vanilla.

Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full). Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.

Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.

Peggy
02-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the BB!!:) This is my favorite. It's not "traditional", which is what I like most about it!

Jamaican Banana Bread

2 tablespoons stick margarine -- softened
2 tablespoons tub light cream cheese -- softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 cup chopped pecans -- toasted
1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons margarine
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons dark rum
2 tablespoons chopped pecans -- toasted
2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to slightly less than 375º. Coat an 8 × 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.

Beat 2 tablespoons margarine and cheese at medium speed of a mixer; add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat well.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir well. Combine banana and next 5 ingredients (banana through vanilla); stir well. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Stir in 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup coconut.

Pour batter into prepared pan; bake at 375º for 60 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool slightly on a wire rack.

Combine brown sugar and 2 teaspoons each margarine, lime juice, and rum in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 minute; stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons each pecans and coconut; spoon over loaf.

Serving Size: 1 slice

Source:
"Cooking Light, March 1997, p.110"
Yield:
"1 loaf"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 188 Calories; 5g Fat (22.5% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 105mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Peggy

Terri-Lynn
02-09-2005, 10:00 AM
I made these on Monday night, they are the number one cookie on all recipes top ten cookie recipes and they are sooooo good! All I can say is OH MY!!

My only changes were that I baked them in a 9X13 pan because I wanted a thicker bar and I baked them about 30-35 minutes. I also subbed out a half a cup of white flour for whole wheat because I was short of the full 2 cups of white.

I felt that they didnt really even need the icing although I did put it on them. I used the cream cheese frosting in the CL complete and subbed the vanilla with banana extract.

Frosted Banana Bars
These are a big hit for snack days at work. Very moist
and easy to make. Prep Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Cook
Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 40 Minutes.
Makes 3 dozen (36 servings).
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Delta
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 (16 ounce) container cream
cheese frosting

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a
10x15 inch jellyroll pan.
2 In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar
until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in
the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda
and salt; stir into the batter. Finally, mix in the mashed
banana. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
3 Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until
a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow bars to cool completely before frosting with the cream
cheese frosting

tperes
02-09-2005, 10:13 AM
I second the Jamaican Banana Bread!

YUMMY!

Last night I made these. They were posted on a previous Muffin thread, not sure by who or which one (sorry!):

I didn't follow the notes at the bottom, but next time I will. They had way too much butter as written.

BANANA COCONUT MUFFINS

Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 45 min
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (3/4 cup)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Special equipment: a muffin tin with 8 (1/2-cup) muffin cups; paper liners

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin cups with liners. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together bananas, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and 1/2 cup coconut in a large bowl until combined well, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened. Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly.

Makes 8.
Gourmet May 2004

Changes: toasted the coconut (just the 1/2 cup that got folded into the batter, as suggested by one of the reviewers on Epicurious), substituted banana yogurt for half of the butter, used Eggbeaters instead of eggs, and half Splenda/half sugar. Also added some cinnamon and nutmeg.

Really good!

Sheila in MD
02-09-2005, 10:33 AM
My Granda made the BEST banana cake (and I'm not biased at all...:D! The frosting on this is very different than most and hard to describe...fluffy might be the best explanation-it does not "harden". This is one of the few recipes she had that actually made sense...had all ingreidents, amounts and directions listed as well as baking time and temp! WOuld love to hear people's thoughts if you try it. It is not light but I have used fat free sour cream with no trouble-have not tried to lighten it beyond that though.

Sheila in MD

Grandma Frances's Banana Cake

2/3 cup butter or margarine
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 teas. baking powder
1 teas. salt
1 teas. baking soda
1 1/4 cups sieved ripe bananas (about 3 small or 2
large)
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
2/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar-
add eggs and beat well. Sift flour, baking
powder, salt and soda together. Add
alternately with bananas and sour cream to
creamed mixture. Fold in nuts saving small
amount for topping. Pour into greased (or
sprayed with Pam) 9 x 13 pan. Bake 1 hour
until toothpick comes out clean. I would
check it much sooner than 1 hour-

Banana Cake Frosting
1/2 cup milk
2 heaping Tablespoons flour
1 teas vanilla
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter or margarine
reserved chopped walnuts

Mix milk, flour and vanilla in saucepan.
Cook slowly till thick-cool. Cream sugar and
butter until real creamy. Add cool pudding
mixture and beat until fluffy. When cake is
cool-frost and sprinkle with reserved nuts.
The texture on this frosting is very soft-it
remains soft on the cake so don't expect it
to crust over-it won't!

JRM24
02-09-2005, 10:57 AM
My favorite Banana recipe - can't remember where I got the recipe or who to give credit to - might be CL

Banana-Spice Muffins

Make these muffins ahead of time for breakfast on the run or for a great addition to your brunch menu.

INGREDIENTS:
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 small)
2/3 cup 2% low-fat milk
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup light ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 large egg
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400°. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.

Combine banana and next 7 ingredients (banana through egg) in a bowl, and add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon batter into 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until done. Remove from pans immediately, and cool on a wire rack.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
calories: 125 carbohydrates: 22.6 g cholesterol: 13 mg fat: 2.4 g sodium: 194 mg protein: 3.2 g calcium: 59 mg iron: 1 mg fiber: 0.8 g

YIELD:
1-1/2 dozen (serving size: 1 muffin)

MISSINDI
02-09-2005, 11:30 AM
I have a couple of ripe bananas sitting on my counter too - think I might try those Frosted Banana Bars. I had printed out the recipe once before, and never got around to making them; I actually have all the ingredients. :)

This is a recent favorite.

Tennessee Banana-Black Walnut Cake with Caramel Frosting Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 servings

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped black walnuts*

Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more as necessary
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
2 cups finely chopped black walnuts, for garnish (optional)*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. For the cake: In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking soda; set aside. Using an electric mixer, cream together shortening and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in mashed bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add flour mixture, mix until just combined. Stir in black walnuts.

Pour into prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool in pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.

Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Melt butter in small saucepan. Add brown sugar and 1/3 cup cream. Cook over medium-low heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl.

Using a handheld electric mixer, beat in confectioners' sugar a little at a time until smooth. If frosting is too thick, add 1 tablespoon heavy cream at a time until consistency is right. Sandwich 2 layers of cake with frosting. Frost the outside of the cake. Press chopped black walnuts on the sides of the cake, if desired.

*Cook's Note: DO NOT substitute English walnuts for black walnuts.

samanthasmom510
02-09-2005, 02:10 PM
I will give something a shot later today...
I can't believe how quickly I got such great responses! I'll definitely be back on the boards!!

Tara

Rosechef
02-09-2005, 02:16 PM
I've been making Ina Garten's Banana Crunch Muffins (not low fat), but oh my they are soooo yummy! They are moist and when baked the tops are like "real" muffins tops...a bit crunchy and you can actually pull them off to eat first if you choose!

Banana Crunch Muffins~~

3 c. all purpose flour
2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 xl eggs
3/4 c. whole milk
2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. mashed ripe bananas (2 Bananas)
1 c. medium-diced ripe bananas (1 banana)
1 c. small diced walnuts
1 c. granola
1 c. sweetened shredded coconut
dried banana chips, granola or shredded coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Line 18 large muffin cups with paper liners. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of an electric maxer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the melted butter and blend. Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla and mashed bananas, and add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Scrape the bowl and blend well. Don't overmix.

Fold the diced bananas, walnuts, granola, and coconut into the batter. Spoon the batter into paper lines, filling each one to the top. Top each muffin with dried banana chips, granola, or coconut, if desired. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, remove from the pan, and serve.

Connor's mom
02-09-2005, 02:22 PM
These are the BEST!

Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread
From Cooking Light

Chocolate and bananas are a natural pair. Toast and top with a spoonful of peanut butter for breakfast. This freezes well too (if there is any left!!).

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add banana, egg substitute, and yogurt; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist.

Place chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly. Add 1 cup batter to chocolate, stirring until well combined. Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Swirl batters together using a knife. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 1 loaf, 16 slices (serving size: 1 slice)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 183(23% from fat); FAT 4.7g(sat 2.8g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 3.1g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 18mg; SODIUM 180mg; FIBER 1.3g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 33.4g

Terri-Lynn
02-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Just thought of another favorite one, this was posted by funnybone and it is a family favorite around here.
Marble Banana Bars recipe to share
I had some bananas that needed to be used up or tossed out, so I decided to try this recipe from Land O'Lakes that I had copied into MC many moons ago. They were so moist and absolutely DELICIOUS!! They are low fat as well, but don't taste it at all. DH really enjoyed them too. Chocolate and banana have always been a great combo anyway.

Marbled Banana Bars

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Margarine -- softened
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas -- (about 4)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
Powdered sugar -- if desired

Instructions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine sugar and margarine in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Add bananas, egg and vanilla; continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; reduce speed to low. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).

Drop 1 1/2 cups batter by spoonfuls into greased 13x9-inch baking pan. To remaining batter in bowl, add cocoa; beat on low speed until well mixed (30 seconds).

Drop spoonfuls of chocolate batter in pan over banana batter. Swirl chocolate batter through banana batter using knife. (DO NOT OVER-SWIRL.) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into bars.

Yield: 36 bars

MISSINDI
02-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Terri - where did you find the banana extract for the Frosted Banana Bars? Never seen it in our grocery store...

jtoepfert100
02-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by MISSINDI
Terri - where did you find the banana extract for the Frosted Banana Bars? Never seen it in our grocery store...

That's funny. Can't find anything else around here but had no problem with that one. I think I've seen it in every store. Happy to send you some if you still don't find it.:)

MISSINDI
02-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by jtoepfert100

That's funny. Can't find anything else around here but had no problem with that one. I think I've seen it in every store. Happy to send you some if you still don't find it.:)

Oh Jen, you know I'll take you up on that. I can find rum, mint, orange, lemon ... and I think that's it. Hate to be missing out on something. :D What can I send you?

jtoepfert100
02-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by MISSINDI

Oh Jen, you know I'll take you up on that. I can find rum, mint, orange, lemon ... and I think that's it. Hate to be missing out on something. :D What can I send you?

One Million Dollars!

http://www.gifworks.com/queue/Austin_Powers_-_Dr_Evil_16225.gif
:D
I'll shoot you some tomorrow!

Terri-Lynn
02-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Missindi I bought mine from Watkins, they always seem to have alot of those kinds of things that I can never find. I like that they will usually deliver right to my door right from their website. I also have an old bottle of one I got at the supermarket by Club House.

Here is the link to the US Watkins catalog:

http://www.watkinsonline.com/productGroup.cfm?parent=23

Hope that helps.

Editing to say if you go back to the main catalog, the chai latte is fabulous I bought some over the summer and it was like grown up hot chocolate, I served it with a dallop of whip cream and some chocolate topper on top, mmmmm!

Terri

deniseannsc
02-09-2005, 05:49 PM

Banana Crumb Muffins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large ripe bananas
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg -- -- lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter -- melted
Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon butter

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine bananas, sugar, egg and butter; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full.

Combine the first three topping ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins.

Bake at 325 or 375 degrees for 18-20 or until muffins test done. Don't over-bake! Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

NOTES : Original recipe calls for baking them at 375, but I like them better in my oven at 325.

Source:
"Linda in MO"