PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Cookies doughy in the center, done on edges - What to do?

karamel
02-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi Everybody -

I am so frustrated. I'm making the Gourmet Choc.Chip Cookies. I've made them before which is why this is so frustrating. They turned out beautifully the last time I made them. This time I'm using a new oven (which I'm really irked at)...I followed the recipe to a "T"- chilled the dough, let the butter cool after melting, used cold cookie sheets, everything. I'm ready to pitch the whole batch. The edges get way done before the centers. If I take them out when the centers are still light - they set up still undone. Help!!!
TIA!

jena
02-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Maybe lower the oven temp and cook for longer? Or maybe cover with foil when the edges are browned? Hopefully someone with more cookie expertise will come along...

funnybone
02-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Hmm, not sure, but usually if you let the cookes sit on the cookie sheet for a minute or two outside the oven, they continue to bake a bit longer. I'm not familiar with the recipe, but I always use parchemnt paper on my sheets and have never had a failed cookie recipe. Could be that your new oven is off in temp. too.

karamel
02-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the replies you guys.
I tried the lowering oven temp too. - Took it down from 350- 325. Didn't know if I should go even lower? I also tried using different oven rack levels to no avail.

This brand new oven frustrates the hooey outa me. We just moved into a house and getting to know the new oven is aggravating. My old apartment oven was a dream. Do you guys know how to test oven temp?

What really gets me down is that these cookies were supposed to be for work. I can't take them in looking like they do. They're just wrong.

funniegrrl
02-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Usually when something is done on the outside before the inside is done, it's because the oven temp is too high. Do you have an oven thermometer to verify the temp?

karamel
02-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Tried letting em continue baking on the sheets out of oven, the bottoms got way dark while the tops kinda sunk in on themselves and stayed doughy.
Tried using parchment too. Didn't seem to make a difference with these.

:confused:

karamel
02-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Funnybone - I don't have an oven temp, but I'm ready to go get one! Where do you find them? Do you think Target would have them - or would I need to go to a specific cooking supply store?

funniegrrl
02-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Yes, you can get an oven thermometer at Target or any store that sells a decent range of kitchen supplies. I've even seen them at my supermarket.

karamel
02-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Okay - thanks!

blazedog
02-14-2005, 11:24 AM
An oven thermometer is really essential for baking but make sure that it is readable and easy to use -- Remember it is going to have to be attached and then you will need to EASILY read the numbers inside YOUR oven.

karamel
02-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Good to know, thanks Blaze!

funnybone
02-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Bump - Did you ever resolve your problems with the cookies?

Peeps
02-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I actually make cookies like this on purpose. :o I do let them sit on the cookie sheets for a few minutes to finish cooking somewhat but I leave the middles almost raw looking - once they cool though, they are fine. I just like gooey chewy cookies I guess (and I haven't killed anyone yet with them being undercooked! :o )

cooknmom38
02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
hiya ~~ You probably need to get your oven recalibrated. It sounds like it is running too hot. You can call your local gas/electric company and usually they have service personell that will come out and test your oven temp and re-calibrate it for you. Then you should be all set with it!
Sometimes if you lower the temp and bake things they come out too dry. At least that is what I have found from my past experiences with too hot ovens. Also if youre running your oven on convection to bake the cookies try taking it off of convection and putting it on regular conventional setting. That may help too.

cama_cook
02-15-2005, 05:26 PM
I had a similar problem with my oven when I moved into my current apt and I suffered with it for over a year. I finally went out and treated myself to a digital oven thermometer from William Sonoma. I love that thing!! It turned out my oven was so far off that it reaches a temp of more than 350 degrees on the inside when the dial is only at like 275!

You may not want to spend the money on a W-S oven therm but I would def recommend getting some kind of therm! I really like the digital one - the probe is inside the oven and the reader is outside so I don't have to keep opening up the oven to check the temp and I can adjust the temp dial as necesary (sometimes after it heats up I need to fiddle around with it some more)

Good luck!

katydid
02-20-2005, 06:52 PM
i had a similar thing happen to me at christmas time with chocolate chip cookies. my cookies were done on the edges and very flat and wouldn't get done in the middle. I suspected it was the oven too, but i really think the problem was the baking powder. mine was rather old and when i made the next batch with a fresh can of baking powder they were fine. do you think it could have been your problem??

Goin' Coastal
02-20-2005, 06:59 PM
I have thought about this when I have read this thread, and I wonder if you are only putting 1 cookie sheet per shelf in the oven. My DD recently complained about her cookies not baking correctly and that is what was the problem. If there isn't space for air to circulate, things won't bake correctly. Just a thought..........

karamel
02-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi!
I had no idea this thread was still alive!:p I haven't been able to get on the BB since my last post. I ended up getting an oven thermometer and I love it!!!! So glad you guys suggested this! Turns out my oven fluctuates about 20 degrees both ways- very weird - it's kinda all over the place. And it takes way longer to preheat than than what it says. I think I want to get it recalibrated too (good to know - thanks CooknMom!).
Goin'Coastal, I only had one cookie sheet in my oven at a time so the heat shoulda been able to circulate.
Katydid, my baking soda was brand new....unless it'd been sitting on the grocery store shelf awhile before I bought... :eek: This recipe doesn't use b.powder.
Thanks for the help everybody!:)

annagins
02-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Speaking of doughy cookies, I made the chocolate chip cookies out of Cooking Light (Lauren's Cookies). They were incredibly doughy after the eight minutes baking time. I let them sit for about 10 minutes and they were really good.

veschke
02-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Peeps
I actually make cookies like this on purpose. :o

Me, too! I also make them on the large side, so there's more soft middle. Yum.

Glad to hear the oven problems got resolved -- so frustrating when you can't trust the tools. I can't imagine how people baked in Olden Times.