PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Thighs with Blood Orange Sauce

Kayaksoup
02-14-2005, 09:34 PM
This was a recipe posted inside a weekend review thread that deserves a little recognition. I made this tonight, following directions exactly, except for the addition of a little butter to thicken up the pan sauce. This is so delicious and flavourful and easy/quick to make. i highly reccomend it adn I will make it again. Thanks for posting, Bob!

CHICKEN THIGHS WITH BLOOD ORANGE SAUCE

Serves 4.

4 blood oranges
8 chicken thighs, skin on, trimmed of excess fat
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 cup chicken stock
teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon honey

1. Use a fine grater to grate the rind of 1 orange; place the rind in a small bowl. Peel the orange and section the fruit by cutting between the membranes to expose the flesh. Cut the sections into small chunks. You should have about 1 cup.

2. Halve the remaining 3 oranges and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup. You should have ; to 1 cup of juice.

3. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin side down. Brown the pieces for about 4 minutes on a side. Remove the chicken from the pan.

4. Pour off the fat from the skillet. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the orange juice, stock, and rosemary. Bring to a boil, scraping the pan to release the sediment. Return the chicken to the skillet and let the liquid come a boil.

5. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer the mixture over medium heat, turning halfway through cooking, for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate.

6. Stir the orange rind and honey into the sauce. Simmer 2 minutes. Sprinkle the orange pieces over the chicken and spoon the sauce on top.

posted by bobmark226

donleyk
02-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Printing as I type. This looks company good. :D Thanks for posting.

bobmark226
02-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the review and bump up. I thought this was outstanding too.

From the same article, I've been using this delicious Blood Orange Vinaigrette which you may want to give a try.

Bob

BLOOD ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
(Boston Globe)

Makes about cup.

1 blood orange
1 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Squeeze of lemon juice
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup olive oil, or more to taste

1. Use a fine grater to grate the orange rind (you need 1 teaspoon of rind). Juice the orange to get 3 tablespoons strained juice.

2. In a large bowl, mix the juice and sugar. Stir in the rind, vinegar, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in 1/3 cup of oil. Taste the dressing and add more oil, if you like.

Kayaksoup
02-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the vinaigrette recipe. I can't believe I never tried blood orange before now...

jtoepfert100
02-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Okay, Blood Oranges were on sale the other day and I bought four thinking I had seen a recipe I wanted to try. I believe this is it. Here's the question: As I had never eaten or bought a blood orange, I wasn't sure how to pick them out. DH and I decided that since the red ones seemed harder, they weren't as ripe as the orange ones and that they must turn orange when they are ripe. I have a feeling this may be wrong but I'm not sure. Anyhow, we bough two red and two orange blood oranges. Are they all okay to use? Also, does a blood orange taste like a regular orange?

Kayaksoup
02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
I am not totally sure of the answer, as this was my first time trying them. Here is some info I found:

Blood Orange
Usage: Use as you would any orange.

Selection: Also called pigmented orange, good-quality blood oranges should be firm and heavy for their size. Select thin-skinned oranges with smooth, finely-textured skin. The flavor of this orange has raspberry and strawberry overtones, and is less acidic than other oranges.

Avoid: Avoid product with soft spots, dull and faded coloring or rough, grooved or wrinkled skin.

swquilts
02-24-2005, 10:50 AM
I really like blood oranges...now if our tree would just start producing! :( I'll have to get some at the store until then.

jtoepfert100
02-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Ours were 4 for 88 cents - I thought that was a good deal. Do you think the orange ones are actually blood oranges? Sounds like they are supposed to be red.

bobmark226
02-25-2005, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by jtoepfert100
Ours were 4 for 88 cents - I thought that was a good deal. Do you think the orange ones are actually blood oranges? Sounds like they are supposed to be red.

That's exceptionally cheap, but they cost less now because where they used to be imported, they're now being grown in several places in the US, which is good news! I pay something like 59 cents apiece, but I get them at a specialty grocer and have yet to see them in a regular supermarket.

And, yes, the orange ones are most likely blood oranges. I get plenty of them that way.

Bob

cniles
02-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Question for you guys... DH prefers chicken breasts... do you think I could successfully make this using breasts instead of thighs? It sounds lovely!!:)

Beth
02-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Both the recipes sound good, but I am I the only one wanting to rename the chicken? I don't like any meat name and blood appearing in the same title, silly me. I think I may have to call them Crimson Oranges or something so I can get past the name.

bobmark226
02-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by cniles
Question for you guys... DH prefers chicken breasts... do you think I could successfully make this using breasts instead of thighs? It sounds lovely!!:)

I don't see why not, with the usual cooking time adjustments. I also think it would be very good with shrimp or cod or any other mild white fish, perhaps with a change in the herb.

Bob

cniles
02-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks guys - I'm off to find "crimson" oranges!!:D

Terrytx
03-03-2005, 09:00 AM
We had this last night and also loved it. I am fairly new to the blood orange experience, and have become addicted. I used thighs, but think breasts would also be good. This one will get repeated for sure.

cniles
03-03-2005, 09:58 AM
sniff.. I can't find blood oranges in our area!!!:(

bobmark226
02-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes, folks, it's that time of year again, and I got a bunch of blood oranges on Sunday (69 cents per), so I thought I'd give this a seasonal bump.

Of course, any new recipes for these "house favorites" are more than welcome.

I'm definitely going to infuse some vodka with the rind, too, because I've been having great success with my infusions.

Bob

dgeevanson
02-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Bob thanks for your Blood Orange Vinaigrette recipe. We loved it. We also made a salad last week with the Maple Dressing that you posted a month or so ago. Both very yummy repeaters. Thanks for posting. Darla