PDA

View Full Version : A good brisket recipe

cooknmom38
02-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Here is a good brisket recipe that a friend of mine gave to me.. its pretty basic but, I'm sure all of the foodies here can expound on it in their own ways.

1 2-3# brisket trimmed
1 small onion diced
1 clove garlic diced
4 Tbsp brown sugar
4 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 quick shotout of the bottle tabasco

Season with salt and pepper and brown the brisket in a dutch oven until browned on all sides and remove from pan. Then add the onions and garlic and brown lightly. Add the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and tabasco. Cook slightly till warmed and then add back the meat to the pan. Cover and bake 325-250 1 1/2 -2 hours. Then take out meat and slice and add back to the pan and cook 1 more hour at 350*

For this recipe I double the sauce recipe and I add sauted julienne onions and baby carrots to the recipe. (I would add potates too but we dont do potatoes that much in my family.) Also when I take the meat out to slice it I thicken up the sauce with a little bit of flour and water (slurry) and then I add the meat back in and coat it all with the sauce before I continue to cover and cook it again.
This recipe tastes good.

Lillith
02-15-2005, 12:42 PM
This easy, tried & true brisket recipe is no fail every time.

3-1/2 - 4 lb. beef brisket
4 - 6 LARGE onions, diced
3 or 4 fresh large tomatoes, diced. If fresh aren't available, one can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes w/liquid is fine
1 pkg. Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix
1/2 cup water

Sear brisket on both sides (truthfully, you can skip this step, unless
you prefer searing your meat) and put into crockpot. You might have to cut meat to fit into pot. Add rest of ingredients and cook on low 7 to 8 hours. Remove meat from pot, cool and slice. Remove contents from crockpot, cool slightly and puree in blender. Refrigerate separately from meat. The next day, skim fat off gravy, pour over meat and reheat on top of stove over low heat, or covered in foil in 350 oven.

No matter how you choose to cook your brisket, it's always better the next day.

cooknmom38
02-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Hiya Lillith! I am new here to the CL website and I am really enjoying it so far! I actually sat on the computer all day long today on this website and got nothing done that I had planned to do today! hahahah!I have been reading Cooking Light for years and I always loved the magazine. I never had the time to go onto the website( work, kids, house etc..) but now that I do I may become a regular!

I know the recipe that you posted. Ive had it and it is good! Personally I like using my crock pot also because you can turn it on and go out all day and come home and dinner is just about ready! The recipe that I posted has more of a sweet and sour tang to it and when I had it at my friends house I couldnt stop eating it! LOL! Enjoy..:D

Lillith
02-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Right Back At Ya!! Glad you have a crockpot too...it's invaluable for certain dishes and brisket is one of them. Seriously, the brisket comes out so tender and it couldn't be easier. The more onions, the better (I think!). I'm sure you could add baby carrots and small chunks of potatoes to my recipe too for a true one-pot meal.
Have fun on the boards!

Aubergine
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
omg!!! Lillith's brisket recipe was oft-discussed, admired, and enjoyed on the (dear, departed) BC tvfn MB. yours truly met it there a long while ago, and dubbed it Lillith's Melting Brisket, because it literally does melt in your mouth. you cannot go wrong with this recipe! it's in my top-ten Pantheon of Greats! SO is always asking me to make it; poor soul, i'm on a strong vegetarian path since new year's.

cher48603
02-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by cooknmom38
Hiya Lillith! I am new here to the CL website and I am really enjoying it so far! I actually sat on the computer all day long today on this website and got nothing done that I had planned to do today! hahahah!I have been reading Cooking Light for years and I always loved the magazine. I never had the time to go onto the website( work, kids, house etc..) but now that I do I may become a regular!
Welcome!

It's hard to log on to these boards for just a few minutes. :D
I think you'll find everyone very helpful.

cooknmom38
02-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Hiya! and its nice to meet you all and be here. Im going to like this...this is the 3rd time on today! ahahhaahah! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cooknmom

Lillith
02-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Aubergine
omg!!! Lillith's brisket recipe was oft-discussed, admired, and enjoyed on the (dear, departed) BC tvfn MB. yours truly met it there a long while ago, and dubbed it Lillith's Melting Brisket, because it literally does melt in your mouth. you cannot go wrong with this recipe! it's in my top-ten Pantheon of Greats! SO is always asking me to make it; poor soul, i'm on a strong vegetarian path since new year's.

Well, Aubergine, your post truly made me blush!! Thank you, thank you. I've been watching your posts and will certainly try some of the vegetarian dishes that you recommended. At least I know that when you decide to make meat again, you like my brisket!