PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with eGullet?

Ralph
02-18-2005, 07:18 AM
I read an article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/chi-0502160125feb16,1,4448207.story?coll=chi-leisuregoodeating-hed) in this week's Food Section of the Chicago Tribune about eGullet (www.egullet.org). Sounds interesting.

Has anyone used the site, either free or paid membership?

CompassRose
02-18-2005, 07:28 AM
I go to the free part all the time. They're cool, but intimidating -- lots of Food Pros there, and plenty of Food Snobs too. Mention Tater Tots, get yourself ripped a new orifice, no charge...

They tend not to be quite as immediately helpful and informative as this board; they're opinionated, cantankerous and argumentative. Not that there aren't highly technical discussions of ganache and deglazing and what have you -- but I usually stay out of them, as they're likely to be some pastry chef having problems making dessert for 200. The regional boards are very cool; sadly my region tends to be under-represented. (Vancouver on the other hand -- very active!)

It's also more heavily moderated than this (necessary owing to the way greater membership and potential for trouble I suppose). Go O/T at your peril; your post will vanish without a trace.

Free, it's definitely worth it. Learned a lot from eGullet. I'd be tempted to pay, only I'm, well, poor!

MISSINDI
02-18-2005, 07:28 AM
I browse the free sections, and have gotten some good recipes and ideas from there. I agree that I don't think they're as necessarily helpful as the group here, but they have their own style about them. They do tend to be a bit "snobby" about the whole food thing too, and definitely take it to a new level. I think the difference here is when someone takes something to the next level, they bring everyone with them, you know what I mean? :)

pmmahan
02-18-2005, 07:29 AM
I use the site - it is a great community and resource for cooking. There is anything and everything there about food, cooking, wine, restaurants, etc.! I do not think you have to pay money to join- you can make a donation, but it isn't required for membership.

Definitely check it out!

Aubergine
02-18-2005, 07:38 AM
i've been browsing the site off and on for a couple of years. what others have said is true, it is a bit pretentious, there's a lot of ego floating around over there. personally i don't find much in common with folks who think nothing of plunking down $300 for dinner for two, or who spring for $125 bottles of aged balsamic. but for anyone passionately interested in food and cooking, it's definitely worth a visit.

rosie_one
02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
I read and post there frequently and have learned a TON over the past year or two that I've been visiting. It, literally, has taken my cooking and eating to a whole new level. Yes, there is some ego going on (honestly, some of it is for good reason, many of the professionals who post there are people of serious skill and status like Anthony Bourdain, Paula Wolfert, Amanda Hesser...) but on the whole it's a bunch of very cool folks.

They encouraged me to make my first gumbo this week and boy, it was awesome! I've also followed along with some of their online cooking courses and really liked them. The knife skills one is particularily good.

I'm sorry to double post the gumbo thread (it's also in eating as the French do), but I just love it.

Gumbo Challenge (http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=61289)

Knife Skills Course (http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=108&t=25958&)

This board still feels like "home" to me as I get so many good recipes here and it's much more warm and fuzzy, but eGullet never ceases to amaze and entertain me. It's great for skill building. The two boards compliment each other very well.

mom2garret
02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by CompassRose
Mention Tater Tots, get yourself ripped a new orifice, no charge...

Wow, I have never visited the site but after this description I am going right over to check it out :p Sounds like a fun place to make new friends :o ;)
Jodi

bobmark226
02-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by mom2garret
Sounds like a fun place to make new friends :o ;)

Why don't you start by asking for a good crockpot recipe? :D

Bob

gertdog
02-18-2005, 08:02 AM
I read it frequently but have never posted- I find it a little intimidating. But there's lots of great information and interesting reading to be found on eGullet.

Kayaksoup
02-18-2005, 08:04 AM
I lurk a lot and post rarely, mainly in my own regional section. I love the food blogs and the skill classes. I tend to use it more as an educational tool. Really, I think the best advice is to think before you post. Stupid posts are ignored at best...
Unless of course you are drunk and posting to the Vancouver section. Then its just funny:D (Not talking about myself)

Kayaksoup
02-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by bobmark226

Bob

Although I haven't searched for a good crockpot recipe there, a quick keyword search brings up the review thread (http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=61503&hl=crockpot) ....
I guess even food snobs will fess up to having them:p

annagins
02-18-2005, 08:08 AM
I've only met the nicest and smartest people on that site. There are a few people who come across as pretentious, but I think they come off that way because they don't stop to think how they can word a post so as not to hurt or offend -- they just kind of type what they're feeling. You can't take it personally or literally.

For instance, you could post that you make the best butterscotch ganache in the whole wide world and people would automatically know you were being tongue in cheek rather than bash you for bragging. Or you can talk about wine without sounding like a know-it-all wine snob because there's always someone on EG that knows more about it than you do! It's all in food fun, and personal attacks and squabbles QUICKLY get deleted.

My problem with EG is there aren't enough actual recipes, which is what I'm most interested in. They're also quick to delete things copied from other web sites. For instance, we're very free here on CL to post recipes and articles we've copied directly from other sites. If EG moderated this board, half of it would be deleted. For their own protection, it's what they have to do. It does make it a bit less fun, though :(.

The best thing they have going right now is there EG Culinary Institute -- how-to forums completely with pictures. It's awesome.

MISSINDI
02-18-2005, 08:25 AM

Bob

(snort)

I agree with annagins on the personal attacks and debates getting taking care of quickly. THAT is a really nice thing. :D

mom2garret
02-18-2005, 08:34 AM

Bob

Bob: Just for you....maybe something with Grape Jelly? :D ;)
Jodi