PDA

View Full Version : What do you store under the sink?

hollysmom
02-19-2005, 01:14 PM
There is such a huge space under there and since we still have a 2 year old - we have limitations on what can be stored there. Just wondering if you keep appliances and other 'food usables' under there?

SSM

Aubergine
02-19-2005, 01:41 PM
mine is the usual assortment of cleaning supplies, now that there are no longer any little ones, but i'm trying to recall what i used to keep there, since all toxic items were kept on high-up shelves for years. i think i used it for the cat and dog foods, the bucket, and extra paper towel rolls, sponges and rags, stuff like that. there's something about that area that makes the thought of food storage unappealing to me.

Kathy B
02-19-2005, 01:55 PM
I stored sponges and scrubbies, paper towels, dust pan, small whisk broom, etc... I have occasionally found evidence of leaking water (from a dying garbage disposal, I suspect), and I would not store anything used in food prep under there.

Jazzmatazz49
02-19-2005, 02:00 PM
I've either used it for a small garbage can or for cleaning supplies. When I had toddlers, I had a lock for that cabinet. I also have found occasional leaks over the years and wouldn't keep anything for cooking down there.

gabbyh
02-19-2005, 02:05 PM
I keep my Griddler, a plastic dishpan full of small cleaning supplies, and a bottle of dish washer soap; my sink is a wood frame built by my husband to hold a VERY OLD, VERY LARGE cast iron farm sink...not my choice, but purchased by the owners of the house we are renovating:D

~Gail

tbb113
02-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Cleaning supplies and a garbage can. When my kids were little, I had a safety lock on the cabinet.

hollysmom
02-19-2005, 02:08 PM
ok, I'll bite...WHat's a Griddler?

SSM

biondetta
02-19-2005, 02:09 PM
I keep a trash can for recylables on one side and cleaning supplies on the other. We don't have children, so safety is not a real concern. I've always found that space to be perfect for recycling containers or small trash containers. I've noticed little leaks from time to time under every kitchen sink I've had, so I would never keep anything used for food prep under there.

gabbyh
02-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Cuisinart Griddler...my newest gadget that I LOVE!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001XASWQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

momwholuvs2cook
02-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Right now...the new garbage disposal that was bought over a year ago that my DH STILL has not installed!! :mad: :eek: :D

Robyncz
02-19-2005, 10:57 PM
trash can
fire extinguisher
dish soap
extra sponges
and about 20 sports bottles that I'll never use again because they've been under the sink--but I keep putting them there because I've got no place better to stick them! :rolleyes:

dlaboriel
02-20-2005, 03:37 AM
Cleaning Supplies
Plastic bags for garbage can

SueK
02-20-2005, 05:57 AM
We keep the trash bag, dishwasher detergent and some plastic disposable gloves. I think that's it right now. I have a safety lock on them so the baby can't get into them.

Leonard
02-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Thankfully I have lots of cabinet storage space in my kitchen. The only things I keep under the kitchen sink are a pair of cleaning gloves and my strainers/colanders. That's it!

newcook
02-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Another reason for not keeping food stuff under the sink is the temperature fluctuations caused by filling the sink with hot water to wash dishes.

I also have trash can on one side with replacement bags.
Cleaning products, spunges and dish tray on the other side (I have a high shelf built in.)

Daniele

TwinMom
02-20-2005, 08:26 AM
We have preschoolers in the house as well and do not store any cleaning supplies under there for safety.

I store our drying dish rack and put the hand washed dishes under there to dry. It's nice since it doesn't take up counter space and works well for us. In addition, I have a plastic tub that I store dirty dish rags/napkins that need to go upstairs to the laundry.

angelamaria
02-20-2005, 09:41 AM
i have a 19 month old. i store a small garbage can for paper garbage(like paper towels); sponges, bottle brushes, and my bread maker underneath. container store sells special shelving that fits around the piping for under sink storage also. i will say since i took all the cleaners out and moved them to the top shelf of the pantry and moved my breadmaker to there i have used it more than in the previous 3 yrs! easy access i suppose.

momqat
02-20-2005, 12:46 PM
My kids are all grown and out of the house now, but I STILL keep all my Tupperware and plastic storage stuff, and some pots and pans, under the sink. I keep my cleaning supplies up in a high cabinet. Did that before my first was born and just got accustomed to it being that way. Never had to worry about them getting into the cabinets(under the sink) because even if they did, there was nothing there they couldn't play with. :)

hollysmom
02-20-2005, 07:52 PM
We replaced the GD and sink when we redid the kitchen 2 years ago - so I'm not worried about leaks. I was thinking about storing the breadmaker, pancake grill, waffle iron, etc in order to free up some cabinet space.

SSM

lhall
02-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Well...

The crockpot, foodsaver, pizza stone, baking sheets, cutting boards, and various other flat things.

Leigh

kimberlyjean
02-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I keep all of my vases under the sink. They take up a lot of space, and I don't care if they get wet!

oceanjasper
02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
I also keep my vases under the sink, at the back. They are accompanied by a garbage can (and boxes of garbage bags), a rubbermaid container with cleaning supplies, dishwasher and dish soaps, recycling and a fire extinguisher.

Gail
02-21-2005, 06:45 PM
On purpose, you mean? :p

funnybone
02-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Well, I store my cleaning stuff under there, and thought everyone did as well. But, on a timely note, this was in the news this morning. Have to wonder! :confused: :eek:

Woman Finds Suspicious Pile Of Bones In Home
Officials To Determine Whether Bones Are Human

POSTED: 10:05 am CST February 22, 2005

CHICAGO -- A woman found a pile of bones in her South Side apartment Monday that has captured the attention of local authorities.

The woman found the bones while cleaning under a sink in her second-floor apartment in the 10,000 block of South Indiana Avenue, according to police.

The Cook County medical examiner's office planned to inspect the bones Tuesday morning, an office spokeswoman said.

Police were looking into the possibility that the bones are human remains.