PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Review for Baked Ham with Rum and Coke Glaze from Cuisine at Home

Leonard
02-20-2005, 07:30 AM
I am thinking about cooking Easter dinner this year. I am hoping someone made this recipe from the April issue of "Cuisine at Home". I would like to read a review before cooking this for DH's family! It seems straight forward enough but I would love to hear from anyone who made it. I'll post the recipe in case someone is interested.

BAKED HAM WITH RUM AND COOK GLAZE

Makes one 6-8 pound butt half ham
and one cup of glaze
Total time: 2 hours + resting

FOR THE HAM:
BAKE: 1 butt half,bone in ham, 6-8 lb.
2- 3 cans coke (enough to cover bottom of roasting pan, but not touch ham)

FOR THE GLAZE:
REDUCE;WHISK IN:
2 cans (12. oz each) Coke
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 TB. dark rum
1 TB. dry mustard
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 325. Bake ham with 2 cans of coke tented for one hour. Meanwhile, prepare glaze.

2. Reduce 2 cans coke for the glaze to 1/2 cup over medium-low heat, about 40 minutes, (watch carefully to prevent it from over reducing). Whisk in remaining ingredients and simmer to dissolve.

3. After baking ham for one hour, uncover and begin glazing, brushing every 15 minutes during last hour of baking. (check to make sure there is still some coke in the bottom of the pan, add more if needed). Remove ham once internal temp of 110 is reached. Allow to rest 15, minutes carve and serve warm.

Sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!

vbak
02-21-2005, 05:14 AM
I have not made this particular recipe, but I've made a ham in coke. It is a recipe by Nigella Lawson? Anyway the glaze is different, but the ham was delicious. Your recipe sounds great. Give it a try.

Vicky