PDA

View Full Version : Room Temperature appetizers

lorilei
02-21-2005, 09:56 AM
There are scads of appetizer threads -- and so I'm not aiming to recklessly start another one. But this request is a bit more specific than some :)

A friend has asked me to produce a small appetizer spread for an upcoming event.

I'm actually in need of some ideas for apps that can sit out for a while (a couple of hours, realistically). This means nothing that needs to be kept HOT (unless it's crock-pot worthy) and nothing that needs to be too cold for too long (though ice is possible). I'll also need to transport these appetizers to a place without means to heat/cool foods -- so whatever methods I use to do either will have to be brought with me.

So -- what are your favorite room temperature appetizers? Ideas for easy-to-transport/serve nibbles?

I'd like ideas for things that LOOK appetizing and have fairly broad appeal -- nothing super fancy, but I'd like something beyond the cheese/cracker platter... if that makes sense.

kimmer99
02-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Hummus w/ pita bread; it's pretty simple and keeps well.
Caponata w/ Bruschetta (i.e., eggplant relish) but really almost any bruschetta w/ topping could work
Sometimes I wrap proscutio around melon balls and put them on a toothpick (that'll keep for a couple of hours)
Michael Chiarello has a parmiganio dip that's wonderful - I can dig that out if you're interested. Ah here it is:

Salsa di Parmigiano Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

1/2 pound Parmesan, not too dry
1/2 pound Asiago cheese, not too dry
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Remove any rind from the cheeses and chop the cheeses into rough 1-inch chunks. Place the cheese in a food processor with the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and pulse until reduced to the size of fine pea gravel. Stir in the green onion, olive oil and black pepper and pulse again. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours before using.

Episode#: MO1A03
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Tizzylish
02-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Antipasta Kabobs hold over really well. :)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Antipasta Kabobs

Recipe By :Jen/FL
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
A slice of hard salami -- folded into a
triangle
A slice of deli pepperoni -- folded into a
triangle
A cube of provolone
Black and green olives
1 Pieces tomato (or you can use cherry but they
don't absorb the dressing so I don't
recommend)
Red onion slice
Two pieces of tortellini or other durable
pasta
Dressing:
1/2 c. Olive Oil
1/4 c. Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp. Basil
1 tbsp. Oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

I put the skewers in a large tupperware container and pour the dressing over them and let them marinade overnight or at least for several hours, shaking them up often and sometimes I drizzle a little vinegar before serving depending upon how much dressing was absorbed.

Description:
"I purchased the half size skewers (like 5-6") and put on each of
them:"

Spinach-Cheese Swirls

Recipe By :
Categories :

1/2 pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets (1 sheet)
1 egg
1 T. water
1/2 C. shredded Muenster or Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese
1 green onion -- chopped
1/8 t. garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic -- minced
1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach -- (about 10 ozs.)
thawed and drained well
1 Dash hot sauce -- if desired

Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.

Mix egg and water together in small bowl, set aside. Mix Muenster or Monterey Jack and Parmesan cheeses with onion and garlic.

Unfold pastry on lightly floured surface. Brush with egg mixture. Top with cheese mixture then the spinach.

Starting at one side, roll up tightly like a jellyroll. Cut into 20 (1/2-inch) slices. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Brush tops with egg mixture.

Bake 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Or remove from baking sheet, cool on wire rack and serve at room temperature.

Makes 20 appetizers.

I haven't tried this one yet, but its one I plan to try soon, it can be served at room temperature it said in the article I copied it from.

Parmesan Artichoke Nibblers

Recipe By :
Categories :

Cooking oil spray
4 large eggs
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts -- (6 ounces)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 green onions
1/4 cup Italian (flat leaf) parsley
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 small cans sliced black olives -- (21/4 ounces each)
optional
Parsley and parmesan for garnish -- optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a medium oblong baking dish, about 81/2 by 11 inches, with cooking oil spray, and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Set aside. Drain and chop the artichokes and add them to the eggs. Add the cheese and bread crumbs.

Chop green onions, using all of the whites and enough tender green tops to make 1/4 cup. Add to bowl. Rinse parsley leaves and pat dry. Finely chop parsley and add to bowl. Add wine, oregano and black pepper, and stir to mix well.

Pour mixture into prepared dish. If using the olive slices, drain them and arrange the slices in two rows on top.

Bake, uncovered, until set in center, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before cutting into 20 pieces. Arrange on a platter. Garnish with additional parmesan cheese and springs of Italian parsley, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Per serving (without olives and garnish): 45 calories (52 percent from fat), 3 g fat (1 g saturated), 46 mg cholesterol, 3 g protein, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 113 mg sodium.

Description:
"Karla Bauman www.desperationdinners.com source San Diego
Union-Tribune"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sneezles
02-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Alysha's Bleu Cheese Pecans!!!!!

Alysha’s Bleu Cheese Pecans

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
3 cups pecans

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and the bleu cheese together. Stir in pecans, and cook until they are coated. Spread out over on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350º for approximately 10 minutes.

jabelt
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I just held a cocktail/appetizer party this weekend. See thread called "Valentine's Party Review - Appetizers" posted today.

For room temperature, I would recommend the roast beef crostini, the stuffed pepperoncinis, pepperoni biscotti, blue cheese & grape truffles, the orzo with roasted vegetables, and/or the turkey pate.

I'll be happy to post the recipes if you are interested.

lorilei
02-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Julie -
Would love the recipes for the stuffed pepperocinis and the pate, if it's not too much trouble.

I've yet to look through my recipe file at home to see what other creative dishes I can come up with. But I figured I'd ask for some tried and trues from you guys first. So thanks!!

jabelt
02-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Here you go, Lorilei

Stuffed Pepperoncini
If you bring this dish to a party, make sure you bring
the recipe with you, because everyone will want it after
eating these. Prep Time: approx. 45 Minutes. Ready in:
approx. 1 Hour 45 Minutes. Makes 36 servings.
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Val
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 slices bacon, cut into
small pieces
1/3 cup minced shallots
1 red bell pepper, minced
1 (8 ounce) package cream
cheese, softened
1 tablespoon milk
32 ounces pepperoncini

Directions
1 In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
bacon is browned. Move bacon to paper towels. Keep bacon drippings.
2 In drippings, cook shallots and red pepper over medium
heat until vegetables are tender. Cook about 5 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
3 In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and milk with an
electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Stir bacon and
shallot into the mixture.
4 Spoon cream cheese mixture into a heavy weight plastic
bag. Cut a small hole in one corner to squeeze the filling
from. With small knife, cut a slit lengthwise into each
pepper. Do not cut the whole way through the pepper. By
squeezing the bag, pipe cream cheese mixture into peppers. Cover
and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to one day.

Fiery Turkey-Pâté Crostini
From Cooking Light

Crystallized ginger can be found on the spice aisle at the supermarket.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 cup coarsely chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cups chopped cooked turkey (about 10 ounces)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped water chestnuts
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
8 (1/2-inch) pieces crystallized ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
32 (1/4-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette (about 1 loaf)

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and pepper; sauté 1 minute. Place onion mixture, turkey, and next 6 ingredients (turkey through soy sauce) in a food processor; process until well-blended, scraping sides of processor bowl occasionally. Spoon pâté into a bowl; cover and chill at least 8 hours.
Spread 1 tablespoon pâté evenly over each bread slice.

Yield: 32 crostini

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 48(23% from fat); FAT 1.2g(sat 0.3g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 3.4g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 8mg; SODIUM 82mg; FIBER 0.3g; IRON 0.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5.4g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1998

Canice
02-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Salmon Squares with Arugula Pesto and Lemon Zest

Pesto:
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups (loosely packed) fresh basil leaves
1 cup (loosely packed) fresh arugula
½ cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
1/3 cup toasted walnuts
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus extra for garnish
2 tablespoons lukewarm water

Salmon:
1-1/2 pounds salmon filet, cut into ¾-inch cubes
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place salmon and olive oil in large bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Arrange salmon in single layer on prepared baking sheet. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover, chill.)

To make the pesto, place ½ cup oil and next six ingredients in food processor. Process to thick paste. With motor running, add remaining ¼ cup oil and 2 tablespoons water to processor. Blend until smooth. Season pesto to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Pour thin layer of oil over pesto; cover and chill.)

Just before serving, preheat oven to 400F. Bake salmon uncovered until just cooked through, about 5 minutes; transfer to platter. Top each piece of salmon with a dollop of pesto and a pinch of extra lemon zest.

Note: Salmon can also be cooked up to 8 hours ahead, chilled in the refrigerator and served cold or room temperature with pesto and lemon.

Chicken Peanut Salad on Mini Pita Rounds

20 2-3 inch diameter pita rounds, cut horizontally in half
Olive oil for brushing pita
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
½ cut water
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
4 cups cooked, shredded skinless chicken
½ cup chopped roasted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350F

Brush the cut sides of the pita with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place in one layer on baking sheets and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Cool. Pita crisps can be made up to one day in advance and stored air-tight at room temperature.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine garlic, peanut butter, ¼ cup each of the lemon and lime juices and the lemon zest and blend well. With the machine running, gradually add ½ cup water, blending until mixture is smooth and thick. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in ½ cup cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.

Place chicken in a large bowl. Mix in 1-1/2 cups of the peanut butter sauce, ¼ cup cilantro, and enough of the remaining lemon and lime juices to taste (any remaining sauce can be reserved for another use). Season with salt and pepper. Salad mixture can be made up to one day ahead and refrigerated..

To assemble, spoon 1 generous tablespoon of the chicken salad atop each pita round. Arrange on a platter, sprinkle with peanuts and remaining ¼ cup cilantro leaves.

Miniature Crustless "Quiche" with Shallots, Bacon & Brie
(OK, so you'll need a note from your cardiologist before you can make these - but man are they good!)

Oil for greasing the pans
2 Tbsp butter
8 slices bacon, into 1/4-inch strips
3/4 cup finely diced shallots
2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1-1/4 cups whole milk
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces brie, rind removed and cheese cut into small chunks (about 1/2-inch)

Oil 48 miniature muffin cups. Preheat oven to 450F.
Heat the butter or oil ina 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and shallots and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the sugar and cook until the bacon and shallots turn deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the vinegar. Drain on paper towels and set aside to cool.

Place the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Whisking steadily, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the milk, mixing until quite smooth. Whisk in the eggs and egg yolks, mixing again until smooth, and then gradually whisk in the rest of the milk, the cream, salt and pepper. Stir in the shallot and bacon mixture.

Place a piece or two of cheese into each cup. Top with two tablespoons of the batter mixture. Bake until "quiche" puff and begin to turn golden in color, 15-20 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes then carefully run a paring knife around the rim of each cup before lifting out each quiche. Quiche can be served immediately or reheated on a baking sheet at 400F for 5 minutes.

Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking magazine, 10/04

lorilei
02-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks Julie! Those look wonderful!

And CANICE -- how nice of you to tempt me with those quiches :)

I love the idea of the antipasto kebabs. I'd forgotten about those. And hummus is always a good bet -- though for some reason it tends not to "go" at most of my parties, unless I make it look "pretty" :)

MISSINDI
02-22-2005, 08:12 AM
What about the Rosemary Roasted Cashews? Obviously more of a nibble, as opposed to something hearty, but fits the criteria and might round out whatever else you make nicely... :)

lorilei
02-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by MISSINDI
What about the Rosemary Roasted Cashews? Obviously more of a nibble, as opposed to something hearty, but fits the criteria and might round out whatever else you make nicely... :)

Good call.
And with the bleu cheese pecans...:D

MISSINDI
02-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by lorilei

Good call.
And with the bleu cheese pecans...:D

Exactly! Throw in those Teriyaki Walnuts too, and you've got a nice little trio going. :D

Newfy Mom
02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
This is so good and so easy. People rave about this one.

Brie with Butterscotch Caramel Sauce

One round of brie
1 jar Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel Sauce
Gingersnap cookies

Cut the top crust off the brie and set on a plate. Spoon the butterscotch caramel sauce over the top and allow to flow over the sides. Place gingersnaps around to use as scoops.

Note: Try to find the Mrs Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel sauce.
It is the best in this recipe.