PDA

View Full Version : lo mein

Hollie
03-02-2005, 08:01 PM
I ocassionally get this when we eat out chinese. Does anyone have a favorite recipe?

luvItalian
03-02-2005, 08:49 PM
This was not my personal favorite, but my kids and husband loved it. It is from FamilyFun Magazine. I used chicken insted of beef.

BEEF AND BROCCOLI LO MEIN
8 ounces thin spaghetti broken in half, 1t dark sesame oil, 1T vegtable oil, 3 cups chopped broccoli, 1 1/2 cups sliced onion, 1T miced fresh ginger, 12 ounces sirloin tips cut crosswise into strips, 3 T beef broth, 3T low-sodium soy sauce, 2T brown sugar, 1T oyster sauce
Cook spaghetti, drain and return to pot and toss with sesame oil.
In a large nonstick skillet,heat vegtable oil over med-high. Add broccoli and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and continue stirring for 30 seconds. Add sirloin and cook, stirring often until meat is done, approx. 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix the broth, soy sauce, brown sugar and oyster sauce. Add the soy sauce mixture and the pasta to the skillet stirring often for 1-2 minutes, until heated through

srahndennis
03-03-2005, 08:15 AM
This is the one I usually make. I really like the chile paste with garlic - it gives it more character.

Beef-Broccoli Lo Mein
From Cooking Light

"When my sons requested beef lo mein, I had no idea how easy it was to make." --Marion Winik

4 cups hot cooked spaghetti (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chopped broccoli
1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and cut across the grain into long, thin strips
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic

Combine pasta and sesame oil, tossing well to coat.
Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add broccoli and onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add steak, and sauté 5 minutes or until done. Add pasta mixture, soy sauce, and remaining ingredients; cook 1 minute or until lo mein is thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 327(26% from fat); FAT 9.3g(sat 3g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 21.7g; CHOLESTEROL 36mg; CALCIUM 47mg; SODIUM 382mg; FIBER 2.9g; IRON 3.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 39.1g

Marion Winik
Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2003