PDA

View Full Version : Does Quinoa Go Bad?

PoppyJ
03-03-2005, 11:26 AM
I have had some quinoa in my pantry for a very long time (years) and I am wondering if it can go bad. How can I tell if it is bad?

CompassRose
03-03-2005, 12:17 PM
It won't exactly go bad, but like any whole grain, it can go stale or rancid. Open it and take a sniff. If it smells fusty or "off", pitch it.

Aubergine
03-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Poppy, if you're talking yearS, plural, i'd toss it. i don't believe it goes rancid; you'd know that the instant you opened it. but the thought of it being that old is quite unappetizing, imo.

my rule of thumb for grains is one year, possibly a few months longer (depending on the grain).

Clover
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
My reaction was that if I knew it was several years old I would throw it out and buy fresh. However, I googled "quinoa rancid shelf life," and it is supposed to have "a long shelf-life of several years." A couple sites said it has a shelf-life of 8 years stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Of course, you could cook some up and see how it is.

PoppyJ
03-03-2005, 02:30 PM
I think I will just toss it and buy some more. I hate it when I buy something for a specific recipe and then toss the leftover ingredients into my "random ingredients" shelf and never see or use it again. I have to get better about this.:rolleyes:

Aubergine
03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Clover, maybe Poppy could send it to you and you try it?:) i mean, would you really cook something (other than canned or jarred) that had been in your pantry for several years? i'm not being negative, i'm really half serious/half kidding. but inquiring minds want to know.;)

Poppy, don't feel bad, kiddo. i thought of it this way: quinoa isn't so easy to find. the stuff in my pantry, i realized, is getting to a year old. i get squeamish about several years-old stuff because i've encountered some pantry nightmares helping other folks (usually older) clean theirs out.

it didn't help matters that just before i saw your post i opened a can of Hungarian Paprika that i haven't used in a year and it was full of wormy bugs---euuuwww, gross. that was the sweet--the can of hot paprika was full of what looked like DEAD bugs.:eek: :eek: :eek: and that stuff was expensive!:mad::(:rolleyes:

Clover
03-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Aubergine
Clover, maybe Poppy could send it to you and you try it?:) i mean, would you really cook something (other than canned or jarred) that had been in your pantry for several years? i'm not being negative, i'm really half serious/half kidding. but inquiring minds want to know.;)

In the case of the quinoa, if it were older than a couple years I'd probably buy new. I'd be thinking that it might not be good any more, might taste funny, I'll just get some fresh at the little store a few blocks down the hill that sells it cheaply in bulk. On general principles. But....as long as it looked and smelled all right it wouldn't give me the heebie-jeebies to try it. I don't think it would cause food poisoning. And I actually worry more about canned stuff because who knows what's going on inside that can?

Anne
03-04-2005, 02:32 PM
I don't know if this would work specifically for quinoa but I check my old 'when did I buy this' whole grains (or legumes) by trying to sprout them. If they can sprout they haven't lost much nutritional value and are fine to eat.