PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many of you get your milk home delivered?

kentgirl
04-19-2001, 09:47 AM
I read somewhere recently, that milk delivery and drive-in movies will some day be a thing of the past. Our local drive-in theatre is still around, but the last time my DH and I went, the sound quality was so bad, that I don't think I'll miss them if they go away.

But we've been getting home delivery of our milk for years now. I love the fresh taste of their milk, cheese and eggs. Their skim milk is the only kind I like, and the low-fat cottage cheese is wonderful! So much better than the store-bought products I've purchased.

So I'm just curious....how many of you get your milk home delivered??

SandyM
04-19-2001, 09:54 AM
I was born and raised on a farm (not a dairy farm, however) and we always had our milk, cheese, and cottage cheese delivered to the small grey box outside our door from Charlaps Dairy. That was 30 years ago. I had no idea you could still get dairy products delivered!!! I wish I still could.......

HDgirl
04-19-2001, 10:06 AM
This is too funny...I had a dream recently that my neighbors had their milk delivered..but now I wonder if they really do! Have to ask them.

I've been dreaming waaay too much lately.

HARRYET
04-19-2001, 10:29 AM
I don't get my milk delivered now, but you certainly brought back some great childhood memories! My parents always had their dairy products delivered and during the summer the "milkman" used to give us big chunks of ice from his coolers to eat! I don't even want to think about whether or not the coolers were sanitary or not, just let me keep my memories!

Ann

BeckyM
04-19-2001, 10:56 AM
I didn't know milk delivery was still available either! I buy mine in the store, but as a kid we had ours delivered. I think my parents still have the milk box sitting outside their front door. Now it's just a good place for the postal delivery person to put packages.

Heidi
04-19-2001, 12:00 PM
Winder Dairy still delivers here in Salt Lake City, Utah! We don't personally have the service, but I know several people who do and find it to be very economical for their large families. I remember going on a field trip to the dairy when I was in 3rd grade!

We also still have a drive-in, but I don't think we will for much longer, sadly.

SandyM
04-19-2001, 12:05 PM
Susan,

How funny about your drive-in memories! I'd go with my parents, all dressed up in my pajamas. The best part was going on the swings and slide at the front of the drive-in (in my pajames!!); I'd watch the cartoons in the back seat of the car, and when the feature film would start (for some reason, I remember them going to see the "Billy Jack" series), I would fall asleep.

What fun!

donleyk
04-19-2001, 12:38 PM
I didn't realize that there still is milk delivery. I am going to look into it here in central Ohio. Columbus still has a reputation of being a cow town http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif (No offense intended)

We have 2 or 3 drive-ins still, Southern Delaware county and Springfield. There may be one more east of Columbus. I have lots of memories. When DH and I first moved to Columbus there was one 5 minutes from our house. (14 years ago) We had been on several dates at drive-ins. DH still likes to tease me that HE went to see the movies....!

CAROL ANN
04-19-2001, 01:14 PM
I don't think we have home delivery here in York,PA. I go directly to the dairy for my milk. Perrydale has the best skim milk. I have gotten several people hooked on it.

Leanne
04-19-2001, 02:06 PM
No home delivery for milk here in Atlanta either - unless you count Webvan - which is the best thing ever! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can stay in business!

Vanessa
04-19-2001, 04:46 PM
Did not know that milk was still delivered. That would be great having milk, eggs etc delivered....but I doubt that happens in this area. I did see Martha Stewart using glass milk containers so maybe in CT (is that where she lives?) they still deliver.
We just lost a turkey farm around here and more dairy farms or farms are becoming developments so fast its scary.

kwormann
04-19-2001, 07:26 PM
I also grew up (in IN) with a small gray milk box....I remember summer mornings DM, DS and myself sitting outside waiting for the large orange Riggins Dairy truck. It didnt last for long...maybe until 1978 or so (I was born in 70). Then the box was used mor DS and I to leave secret notes for each other. Does this date me? I always feel this is one of the last remenents of a simpler time and I feel happy to have one memory of such a time!

Sappy enough?

Kim

jms0310
04-19-2001, 07:51 PM
donleyk-I live in Columbus too! I think our neighbor a few houses down gets milk delivered because I always see a dairy truck parked out in front of their house once every week. I forget the name that is on the truck though, if I talk to her or if I see the truck again I will try to post it. That is such a great idea to get dairy products delivered but since it is only the 2 of us I'm sure we wouldn't need it quite yet!
Jessica

LGBurns
04-19-2001, 08:09 PM
Oberweis Dairy delivers here in NE Ill. We don't do, it but I've been meaning to check into it. I would love it because I agree that the milk tastes better. Plus, I feel better about returning glass bottles than recycling plastic ones. Reusing is even better than recycling.

KarenW
04-19-2001, 08:14 PM
I moved from Chicago to Philly a couple of years ago. Your message about Oberweis makes me really miss Chicago. Their icecream was the best anywhere.

woodsl
04-19-2001, 08:37 PM
Susan and SandyM,

I too have fond memories of going to the drive-in movies with my parents in my pajamas. SandyM, I thought only my parents were cool enough to let me play on the swings and slide at the front drive-in in my pajamas. In fact, your description is exactly what I remember. Are you sure we're not sisters??

Oh, I forgot the original question. We do not have our milk delivered, but did as a child. Our milkman's name was Henry - he was a sweet man. I used to bake him brownies at Christmas. I guess I thought they went well with milk.

Sharon

[This message has been edited by woodsl (edited 04-19-2001).]

LaraW
04-19-2001, 09:35 PM
Our local dairy just recently stopped their home delivery service because it was no longer profitable. We used to have our milk delivered when I was a kid, but I did not even realize that there even was home delivery anymore - until I saw they were going to stop it. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/frown.gif

chefbec
04-19-2001, 10:01 PM
Rosenberger delivers in the Philly area, but we buy about 3 gallons a week and just get it at the market. I do have a neighbor who gets hers delivered, though.

MrsReber
04-19-2001, 11:47 PM
There's milk delivery in the area where I live, but we don't use it. We just go to the store when we run out.

Drive in theatres have disappeared from NJ. So sad. We used to go when I was real little. My parents would have us put on our pajamas and we'd put the back seat down in our VW wagon. Ah, the memories.

ewatkins
04-19-2001, 11:58 PM
We have a fabulous dairy that delivers here in Denver. It is the greatest because we never run out of milk. They have eggs, bread, the best OJ, plus all the usual dairy things (sour cream, half and half, etc.) The two best things are the eggnog (they even have a light version) and the cookie dough in big tubs ready to bake. My kids use it all summer for their lemonade stands. I'm not a big milk drinker so I can't tell you if it tastes better, but DH loves it.

MrsReber
04-20-2001, 06:27 AM
In NJ, it's Welsh Farms who delivers the milk. I remember seeing those gray boxes when I was little, too! I had no idea what they were for, though, since we didn't get our milk delivered!

Aw, man, my parents never let on that there was a playground at the drive-in! But there were three of us so we entertained ourselves while they watched the movies. We'd go with our neighbors (they had 2 kids) and we'd park next to them and make faces at each other until we fell asleep. Our last NJ drive-in was removed not too long ago.

patsyk
04-20-2001, 06:54 AM
Do they really still offer this service? Wow! I grew up in Missouri and remember getting it delivered when I was a kid - my mom would get a 2 1/2 gal container every few days... my brothers were BIG milk drinkers. I live in NJ now... haven't even heard of this happening here!

Drive-in's are still open in Kansas City, not in great condition, but still a good time. I wish we had them here in NJ!

Mbart
04-20-2001, 07:22 AM
We don't have milk delivery here in Milwaukee, but I would certainly use it if we did...with our dairyland family of 5, we go thru a gallon a day!!! I hate it when I tell my husband to pick up milk on the way home from work and he only brings two gallons! I'll have to go out and get more in just a day!

Also, when I was little my brother had an egg route, where he delivered eggs to the neighbors just as he would the paper! Ahh, times have changed haven't they?

Mbart
04-20-2001, 07:27 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention my Drive-in movie memories...when I was in High School, I remember going on a double-date to the drive-in, and our dates made us get into the trunk of the car so they wouldn't have to pay for us!!! How pathetic is that?!!! I'm going to my 20 year high school reunion in June, I wonder if I should remind these guys of this...or maybe just share the story with their wives...? http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

LGBurns
04-20-2001, 08:53 AM
For those of you in Illinois and Missouri, here's a page on their website that lists the areas Oberweis Dairy delivers to in those states: http://www.oberweisdairy.com/deliveryareas.htm#Missouri http://www.oberweisdairy.com/deliveryareas.htm#Illinois

JulieAnn
04-20-2001, 09:09 AM
hi to Heidi! I'm a fellow SLC BBer!Ihave always wondered about Winder Dairy and how much you'd have to use to make it economical. I'll have to give them a call. Do you live on the north or south side of the valley?

Heidi
04-20-2001, 03:06 PM
Hi JulieAnn! I lived in Sandy for 10 years, but moved to Draper in September. Where do you live?

kentgirl
04-20-2001, 03:16 PM
Heidi---I used to live in Sandy myself! I lived on Tramway Drive, which was on about 9400 South and 20-something East. Of course, that was years ago---I moved to the Pacific Northwest 22 years ago!

Gail
04-20-2001, 03:23 PM
You know, hearing there are still milkmen about is kind of a warm fuzzy. Shortly after my son was born, I remember compiling a list of things or experiences my son would probably never know, things which in my lifetime have become outmoded. Among those items was the clank of milk bottles in the milkman's carrier. I miss that-- and yes, most assuredly those drive-in movies. Even as recently as 1984 when we bought our house (alright, so it's NOT so recent to some of you...) a drive-in backed on the cul-de-sac at the end of our street-- a wonderful place which has since been razed and is now the site of a yet another "exclusive" gated community. Personally, I'd rather have the drive-in... http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/frown.gif

JulieAnn
04-20-2001, 07:45 PM
Heidi, I'm currently in West Jordan going to be moving to South Jordan. Are you already in a cooking club. I posted on the Supper Club sight to start another club in SLC. ARe you interested?