PDA

View Full Version : Mango question

LGBurns
04-18-2001, 05:02 PM
I bought frozen mangos from Trader Joe's to use in smoothies (only $1.19 for a bag!). They tasted awful--fishy actually. I think this may be the first time I've had mangoes (other than mango flavored things). Is it just me or were the mangoes bad? Anyone else ever experienced fishy mangoes before?

Carrie W
04-18-2001, 05:08 PM
Wow, that certainly sounds like you had a bad bag. We've frequently been purchasing bags of frozen mango chunks from TJs and haven't had that problem -- In fact, they've made great smoothies! You might want to take advantage of TJ's policy of refunding your money if you don't like a product...and I'd suggest giving it another shot with a different bag.

mightyh
04-18-2001, 06:43 PM
I definitely think you got a bad bag. When I used to live near Trader Joe's (sob), I always bought them for smoothies--I think TJ's are far superior to other frozen mango brands you get.

Please try again!

LGBurns
04-18-2001, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the tip on returning things to TJs--I didn't know they had that policy. I'll definitely do that this weekend.

Has anyone had this problem with fresh mangoes? I guess I'm a little scared off of mangoes in general now. I'd like to try the mango salad from April but I'm unsure.

mb
04-18-2001, 09:01 PM
i've never had that problem with fresh mangoes. i LOVE mangoes!!! when i was a kid, some friends of ours had huge mango trees, so we would always get tons and tons of fresh mangoes... it kills me now to buy them in the store because they are so expensive! finally, i bought one recently, and i found it really difficult to cut up into chunks - does anyone have a good method for cutting up mango?

WeekendCook
04-18-2001, 09:15 PM
I have used the frozen mangos from Trader Joe's without any problems. I prefer fresh ones, but the frozen ones are OK, and I've certainly never had a problem with a "fishy" taste.

MB, I have an easy way to cut up mangos, and am going to see if I can describe it....

Stand the mango upright on its stem on a cutting board. Cut both sides of the mango parallel to the seed, which will give you two halves, except for the seed and the fruit surrounding the seed. Take a knife and cut each half into 3/4" to 1" squares cutting through the fruit almost to, but not through the skin. Then take each half and turn it "inside out" from the skin, causing the "cubes" to pop up. Slide a sharp knife close to the skin, separating the fruit from the skin, and you should have mango cubes!

Hope this makes sense. It's a common way to cut a mango. Maybe someone knows of a web site that shows an actual diagram of this so you can see it.

foodiedelite
04-18-2001, 10:07 PM
I've also had trouble with the mango's from Trader Joe's. They were mushy and didn't taste very good. Appeared the bag had been defrosted and refroze. Definitely go with fresh one's if you can. Noticed in TJ they store the mango's by the frozen fish--maybe the reason for the fish smell?

I've also had trouble with buying corked wine at TJ's on more than one occasion. Maybe it's just my Trader Joe location.

Norma
04-18-2001, 10:25 PM
mb, the method of cutting up fresh mangoes that WeekendCook describes is my method also. The only thing I would add is that they are very fibrous and I've found that a serrated sharp knife works well. If your knife isn't sharp you'll probably have a dish of mango mush.

Norma

KValley
04-19-2001, 09:09 AM
Aaah- I love mangoes. LGBurns, fresh mangoes can be disgusting if they are too ripe - they do have a fishy taste, just like fish that isn't fresh! THey should just give to a bit of pressure. I like to buy mine when they are pretty green and ripen them at home, so I can eat them when they are just right. But a perfectly ripe, fresh mango is a slice of heaven! I developed a taste for them as a Peace Corps volunteer in Africa- for months on end it was our only fresh fruit. It took awhile to re-develop an appetite for them once back in the US, but now a fresh fruit salad isn't complete without mango.

Weekend Cook- that is a perfect description of how to cut a mango- you should write for CL! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Cheers,

Julie

[This message has been edited by KValley (edited 04-19-2001).]

JennieL
04-19-2001, 02:48 PM
I buy Kern's frozen Mango and use it for both smoothies and mango chicken. I usually never use frozen fruit, but this works well.

LGBurns
04-19-2001, 05:21 PM
KValley: thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I was nuts -- fish that isn't fresh is exactly what it tasted like so they must have been over ripe. I will try fresh mangoes some time but I love the idea of frozen fruit for smoothies because they are so much thicker.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I won't give up on mangoes yet.

mb
04-20-2001, 12:01 AM
Thanks WeekendCook & Norma - I've heard that technique before (a looooong time ago) - i'll have to try it next time I buy mangoes. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Marcie
04-20-2001, 06:07 PM
I just took a cooking class and here are 2 things I learned about mangoes:

First, the color isn't an indicator of ripeness, but the feel is. If a mango is slightly soft to the touch, it's ripe, even if it is entirely green.

Second, the method of cubing a mango that WeekendCook described above is terrific, with one addition: after slicing the fruit along the large, flat seed, make your cuts diagonally in the fruit halves, rather than vertically and horizontally. Mangoes are fibrous and a diagonal slice will cut through those fibers.

PatLB
04-21-2001, 02:07 PM
If you ever have a chance-- try mangoes of Haitian origin. They are superlative. A friend visiting me from New York brought me a whole case. They were just scrumptious, and much better than any that reach our grocery stores in Montana.

WeekendCook
04-21-2001, 02:23 PM
Marcie, thanks for the tip on cutting diagonally; I didn't know that. I'll try it next time. Hmmmm, think I may need to pick up a few mangos today!