PDA

View Full Version : key lime juice question

CindySoCal
03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm going to make the "Tw0-Layer Key Lime Pie" and have looked everywhere for the bottled key lime juice...No Luck, W & S are completetly OUT, and they "might" get their shipment by Sat...and the grocery stores are out...is everyone making key lime pie this weekend?? LOL:D

BUT, I did find actual "key limes" I bought a pound and I am wondering if it's enough??
I need 3/4 of a cup for the whole recipe...how many key limes should I use??????
Thanks!!!:)

Luckyfeather
03-23-2005, 12:46 PM
You'll just need to juice them and measure the juice until you get the measurement the recipe calls for. I have substituted ordinary limes to make key lime pie...you don't necessarily have to use key limes. Regular limes make a good pie.

CindySoCal
03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
I thought key limes are more tart?? I don't know...maybe I'll just pick up another pound so I have enough for 3/4 cup of juice, they are sooooo small it's hard to tell :)

rmg_CA
03-23-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm always able to find bottled key lime juice at Albertsons. It's next to the lime and lemon juice that are packaged in the plastic lime or lemons. I can't remember the brand, but it comes in a glass bottle.

I also saw you're in So Cal like me; if you're near LA, you can find it Surfas restaraunt supply on Venice and National in W LA too.

Good luck!

laurelhiker
03-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Having once singlehandedly juiced enough key limes for a pie, I can attest to the fact that juicing those teeny little buggers isn't for the faint of heart :) If you can't find key lime juice, I wholeheartedly recommend using regular limes to juice -- it's MUCH easier and you'll hardly notice the difference. If you are determined to be "authentic", may I recommend comfortable shoes and someone to stand behind you and rub your back whilst you squeeze those keys? :D

Hope your pie turns out well!

-- GG

If I recall correctly, a pound of key limes squeezed to within an inch of their lives, netted somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 cup juice. I know it wasn't the amount called for in the recipe, and I had to run out and buy another bag.

CindySoCal
03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by laurelhiker
. If you are determined to be "authentic", may I recommend comfortable shoes and someone to stand behind you and rub your back whilst you squeeze those keys? :D

Hope your pie turns out well!

LOL :D :D :D
Too funny...thank you for all your help....I think I'll pick up some limes to mix with the key limes I bought :)

CindySoCal
03-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by rmg_CA
I'm always able to find bottled key lime juice at Albertsons. It's next to the lime and lemon juice that are packaged in the plastic lime or lemons. I can't remember the brand, but it comes in a glass bottle.

I also saw you're in So Cal like me; if you're near LA, you can find it Surfas restaraunt supply on Venice and National in W LA too.

Good luck!

I never thought to look in Albertsons...I'm going to have to pick up a bottle for the next time.
I'm in South Orange County,
thank you for your help, have a nice holiday :)

mariposa
03-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I have also juiced key limes for a key lime pie before, and I DO think you can tell the difference - but only if you really know what key limes should taste like. Regular limes are equally tasty, IMO. Mixing regular limes with the Key Limes should help with the workload. My suggestion - if you can't find someone to stand behind you and rub your back while you're squeezing all those limes, sit down at the kitchen table and do it. :D

Tammy2268
03-24-2005, 12:15 PM
a HINT...
Warm the limes up in the microwave some, and you will get more juice from them. Also, I would squeeze all of them, and put the excess in the freezer. I put lemon juice in ice cube trays, freeze,then put the cubes in a freezer bag. So handy...used one yesterday.
By the way, your dessert sounds wonderful!!!