PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Richmond, VA

misskitty100
03-29-2005, 09:20 AM
I have never been to Richmond and my husband may look into a job located there. I have been to D.C. a lot as well as Greensboro, NC and it seems Richmond is in the middle.

Any info you can share would be much appreciated such as weather, food/restaurants, landscape, culture etc.

TIA!!

jtoepfert100
03-29-2005, 10:04 AM
My brother lives in Richmond. I know he isn't crazy about it but I've emailed him to get his overall opinion. I'll post back.:)

ellery
03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Born, raised and recently moved from there. I liked it. ;)

About an hour from the mountains, hour from the beach, fun downtown scene, pretty good local resources. Snows some in the winter, gets hot in the summer, great trees in the fall.

Sorry this is general, but feel free to pm me with more specific questions. What kind of job is he looking at, you?, do you have kids, etc.

:)

Leah

MusicMom
03-29-2005, 10:56 AM
I visited the city several times and enjoyed it. There is quite a bit of culture there, including a great science museum with an IMAX theater and planetarium, a couple of orchestras, dance groups, opera, etc. There are two universities in the city- University of Richmond and VA Commonwealth University. The city sits right next to the James River for recreational rafting and as Leah mentioned, it's in a central location to the mountains and the beach, as well as amusement parks and lots of historical sites.

I don't know very much about the quality of city services. If you're interested in the school situation, I can check with DS- I know he's met some students from the area during his Latin competitions.

mcraig13
03-29-2005, 11:53 AM
I have lived in Richmond for almost 28 years. DH and I moved here right after college. We both like it a lot. We live in an old city neighborhood just south of the James River. Richmond has an amazing river park system. We prefer the city neighborhoods--check into the Fan, Ginter Park, Forest Hill, Westover Hills, Woodland Heights--and there are some very upscale city neighborhoods also. Many do not think the city school system is good, safe, etc. Younger DD will graduate from the city system in a couple of months. Both went all the say through the system. The surrounding counties have their own school systems---and many nondescript neighborhoods (note a bias there??).

Richmond has a great art museum (state supported), a good science museum and children's museum, and a lot of history. The city has a reputation for having wacko government. The city council has done a good job of keeping us all amused. Douglas Wilder (formerly governor of Va.--and the first black governor in the US)was recently elected mayor. He has promised to whip everybody and everything into shape--things will remain interesting.

I could ramble on and on---if you have any specific questions pm me---I won't bore everyone else.

rosen
03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
mcraig pretty much said it all. I have lived here since 1973, in Chesterfield county. Lots to love, lots to shake your head in wonder over... which always makes it interesting.:)
What field will your DH be in? Do you work? Have kids?