PDA

View Full Version : I just joined a CSA!

krhm
04-01-2005, 09:40 AM
We just signed up for a 10 week CSA program, and I am so excited! I know some here on the board have done this and I was just wondering if you could share tips/advice...we've obviously never done this before and I have no idea what to expect.

But I'm so psyched thinking about organic blueberries, lettuce, fresh herbs, corn on the cob...:D

miami
04-01-2005, 09:52 AM
CSA's can be a lot of fun. As an uber-planner (I usually plan outlines of meals two weeks ahead and shop accordingly) it was a bit of a challenge to "go with the flow" with whatever arrived since you never know until you pick up what you're going to encounter. My CSA gave me many different kinds of greens (collards, kale, turnip greens, carrot greens) and I developed quick recipes for any of them. They also delivered exotic fruits (pudding fruit, sapote, eggfruit) that we just peeled and ate.

I finally dropped out because it was such a hassle for me to get to the pickup spot on my already-packed Saturday morning. But two years of the experience got me completely off of frozen veggies and much more open to trying whatever fresh produce is available in the market each week. Enjoy it!

krhm
04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience! One of the reasons we decided to do this was because we hoped that being "forced" to use the produce will inspire us to try new recipes and definitely eat more veggies, so I'm glad to hear that was the case for you. I hope the pick-up day won't be too difficult to keep up with. Our day will be Wednesday, from 9-6, and I don't usually work on Wednesdays, so I'm hoping it won't be tough to keep up with.