PDA

View Full Version : EATING WELL Mag.....how does it compare to CL?

Epicurious
04-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Im curious.....is see everyone talking about EW mag....and I havent seen it around. how does it compare to CL? Are there LF recipes? Or is it just healthy? (not that that's a bad thing)

donleyk
04-08-2005, 09:56 AM
EW, IMO, is much lower in fat then the more recent CL recipes. I like both mags for different reasons. EW can get very in depth which I like. CL can but again, IMO, it's more hi-lights.

Epicurious
04-08-2005, 10:01 AM
are they selling it in grocery stores? Or do I need to go to a B&N to find it??

donleyk
04-08-2005, 10:07 AM
I subscribe so I am no help. I would think you could find it in a grocery store. Maybe not at the register but back with the other periodicals.

I like EW a lot. There have been comments that they are heavy handed with their articles. I don't mind the style of writing and enjoy the recipes.

Tiger
04-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I have more "keepers" from EW than CL. If I had to chose (I'm glad I don't) I'd get EW.
EW has more "health" articles. Not the beauty articles like CL. I usually read EW from cover to cover. Can't say that about CL.
Go to their website and get the free trail issue and see what you think. :)

Valerie226
04-08-2005, 11:20 AM
EW has almost no advertising. They run much fewer recipes per issue. EW is more focused. they have several themes, like spinach recipes or grain/bean recipes and then run maybe 10 or so recipes to fit that theme. CL (to me) wants to be everything to everyone every issue. Neither is "right", just different approaches.
I pretty well skip the first half of CL.... what I see as fluff, beauty tips, exercise moves & lifestyle articles. EW's articles cover larger nutrition and lifestyle issues often thru the eyes of a particular person. I've had good recipes from both mags, and stinkers from both.
I have EW from 1992 on. the mag is small & I regularly cook from old issues. CL is big. I tear out keepers & toss old mags after a year or two. They take up too much space and contain too many recipes to search thru. I'm sure I miss good things, but it's too much to search.
Hope that helps.

Kay Henderson
04-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I subscribe to both magazines and agree with people's comments. I would recommend going to the website (see below), getting a trial issue, and then if you like it, subscribing for a year. You'll know by then if it's for you.

Another possibility if the magazine is not in local grocery stores would be a bookstore with a good magazine selection.

http://www.eatingwell.com/

Kay

tbb113
04-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Here I can only find Eating Well at 'upscale' grocery stores. Safeway doesn't have it, but Whole Foods, Andronicos, Nob Hill all carry it.

Ms. Chevious
04-08-2005, 12:33 PM
EW is actually about cooking, and LIGHT cooking at that. :D And no articles about how to shave your legs or kayaking.