PDA

View Full Version : Pasta with Roasted Vegetables

Goin' Coastal
04-09-2005, 08:05 PM
In searching for something else, I came across this recipe and made it for dinner tonight. Sneezles, I hope you are checking in, as I have a question. I never got a liquid with the vegetables. I ended cooking them for about 15 minutes at 500, and while they browned, I got no liquid to add to the pasta. I was frugal with the oil - do you think that was the reason? Regardless, it was very tasty - I added some sausage. It was a chicken sausage with feta and spinach. I grilled it and then sliced it and added it to the pasta. My DH thought it might be even better with a little sauce - like a light white wine sauce. I think I will experiment with that and see how it works out. It is definitely in the make again file - the flavor of the vegetables was very good. Anyone have a recipe for a wine sauce they think might complement this? BTW, I used leeks, asparagus, green and red peppers, carrots, red onion, and zucchini.

(Below is from a post from Sneezles)

This is a great quick meal and you can vary the veggies to those you like. I use leeks, mushrooms, asparagus, redonion and yellow or orange bell pepper. The soup below is one I learned to make while living in Scotland, wonderful on a cold day and great for when you have a cold!
Will post more later...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pasta with Roasted Vegetables

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dishes

Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 ounces Rigatoni, Mostaccioli or other medium
pasta shape -- uncooked
1 pound fresh mixed vegetables, such as: green
beans, red onions, snow peas, asparagus,
carrots, squash, turnips, zucchini, leeks,
fennel, red or green bell peppers,
mushrooms
Salt and pepper -- to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
OR
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chicken broth

Preheat oven to 500F. Prepare pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, slice or cut vegetables and place in a shallow baking pan, arranged in a single layer. Season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, and brush lightly with oil. Roast in a 500F oven for about 10 minutes or until vegetables caramelize and brown, leaving any juice in the baking sheet. Drain and set juices aside. Chop vegetables into 1-inch pieces.

When pasta is done, drain well. Toss cooked pasta with vegetable juice, vegetables, vinegar, chicken broth and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 358 Calories; 9g Fat (22.5% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat.

Mimeea
04-09-2005, 09:56 PM
That sounds great, perfect to make when one has an influx of diverse vegetables. Depending on the vegetables, the roasting time could most likely change-- since I know from experience that carrots take quite a bit longer than snow peas to roast!

Schmee
04-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks for this,DH and I love roasted vegetables so this is definetly on the "to try" pile.

sneezles
04-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Goin' Coastal
Sneezles, I hope you are checking in, as I have a question. I never got a liquid with the vegetables. I ended cooking them for about 15 minutes at 500, and while they browned, I got no liquid to add to the pasta. I was frugal with the oil - do you think that was the reason?

Well, it could be the oil(I'm really not very frugal when it comes to olive oil) but it could be that you didn't use mushrooms (they've got a lot of moisture content) but I'm surprised that the zucchini didn't release some. If the carrots were cut small enough they would roast in about the same time as everything else. You could add some Roma tomatoes to the mix (I do) and be assured of some liquid!

sneezles
04-10-2005, 11:13 AM
About the white wine sauce. I've made this one from foodgeeks.com and it was quite tasty with grilled shrimp but you could easily sub chicken stock or veggie stock for the fish stock.

White Wine Sauce for Pasta

Servings: 4 servings
Prep. Time: :10
Total Time: :20

Ingredients:
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup thinly sliced, stemmed and drained peperoncini peppers (around 4 will do)
3 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
2 tsp. minced lemon peel
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 cup clam juice or fish stock

Directions:
Heat the olive oil in a pan to medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and saute for one minute. Stir in peperoncini, oregano and lemon peel; saute for one minute. Add the wine, lemon juice and clam juice. Turn up the heat to high and reduce by about half. Pour over cooked pasta with cooked seafood like clams, shrimp or crab meat. Garnish with some chopped parsley and lemon slices.

Goin' Coastal
04-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks Sneezles!

- Char